Games that give you that warm feeling

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Prescott, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Prescott

Prescott i've got genes Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A lot of games are about killing virtual characters for points to level up... and I'm not knocking those ones...
    But there are also a lot that are the equivalent of snuggling up in a warm blanket with some hot cocoa while there's a blizzard going on outside. Games that make you feel nostalgic for something that you can't quite pin down. A Hat In Time, Animal Crossing, Undertale, Earthbound, Dust: An Elysian Tail and To The Moon are other examples of games that have somehow nailed down this serene feeling. I hope to make games like this someday, that bring light and comfort to people.

What are some other games that make you feel like this, and why do you think they do? I haven't really been able to explain it but these games just make me feel at peace, despite some of their subject matters. They just have an air of warmth around them and you can tell that a lot of love went into making them, for sure.

2. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    A recent one for me like that is Staxel. It's got the cute blockiness and build-stuff nature of Minecraft (although with more graphical detail), the in-game-daily farm care and friendship-building of Harvest Moon, and the collecting and cataloging of Animal Crossing. I'm currently working on building the museum so I can work on that cataloging part! Factor in the music and add a nice cup of tea and it's my favourite game to come home to after work.

Prescott likes this.
  3. Alanood

Alanood Laziest creature ever Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Stardew Valley. It's a nice game about a peaceful viallge where you build relationships, farm, fish, and mine.

4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Paper Mario Games. I mostly replay the N64 original and Thousand Year Door, but I still like Super Paper Mario even though that one isn't nearly as beloved by many. I think it's the colorful and cartoonish art style, the general silliness/quirkiness. I love games that don't take themselves too seriously or seriously at all.

5. Cunechan

Cunechan ˙ ͜ʟ˙ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The old Harvest Moon series definitely, they're similar to stardew Valley.

6. Akihiko

Akihiko Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Probably games like stardew valley, harvest moon, rune factory, the sims, and etc.. I really enjoy these types of games.

7. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Stuff like Harvest Moon and Animal crossing, definitely!

I'd also add stuff like Cooking Mama, Katamari, Nintendogs, the Professor Layton games, stuff like Style Savvy - games like those always make me feel at peace, whether it be the gameplay, art style, or music!

8. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran A Budding Author Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nothing can beat the Harvest Moon or Story of Season series and Rune Factory series if that's the kind of feeling you're looking for ^^
    Also, some otome games or visual novels with amazing stories that can keep your heart warm!
    ...for some reason, I also thought of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon~

9. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I totally forgot about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon! Yes, those games absolutely!

LynneSuzuran likes this.
  10. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Slime Rancher is one of the games I always end up sticking on when I've had a crap day and just need to unwind. Bright colours, adorable slimes and the feeling of accomplishment from building up your farm is just a great remedy for feeling down. Another game I came across recently, Slime Garden ( https://borderline.itch.io/slime-garden) is a more chilled, ambient take on a similar concept, where you wander around a procedurally generated island taking pictures of slimes. That's about as far as it goes in terms of mechanics but sometimes you just want a mechanically light game to zone out with, you know?

Prescott likes this.
  11. chantz

chantz Villager Member

First Language:
    franch
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    for me it's the Animal Crossing game, being a mayor and being able to do a lot of constructions to personalize the city is a very pleasant feeling. The dialogues with the animals are top, with this very good mood and this benevolent tranquility.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Pocket Edition Google Play Services Counter-Strike

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:47 AM
  12. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Sims series are a lot of fun especially the Sims 3, Sims 4 wasn't as good.

13. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran A Budding Author Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm glad it's not just me!
    I loved the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon so much that I replayed it several times ><

14. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The Wind Waker, the moment that music kicks in when you set out on the high seas, tis true calming bliss.:kaoluv:.

TakeHomeTheCup and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  15. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My sister loves the Animal Crossing games. I use to be into them as well when I was a lot younger, but for some reason I'm not into them anymore.

I loves Wind Waker first time I played it too, glad that was brought up. Twilight Princess too.

Chrono Trigger as well. I never owned a SNES though but I still played it *ahem* and later got the DS remake version too.

Final Fantasy 4/IV. Got the DS remake too.

Super Mario RPG. Paper Mario 1 & 2, on a much lower scale Super Paper Mario /3 as well, not the others but yes to Mario and Luigi, well a few of those. Time, and Bowser Inside Story.

Mario Party 1, the very first one was my favorite out of all the ones I had played.

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.

Some Lara Croft games. Legend comes to my mind.

I know there are a lot of games but I can't think of any of the rest right now.

16. Seacliff

Seacliff Self Proclaimed Professional Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    The first Harvest Moon on the SNES and Yo-Kai Watch 2. I'm also getting the same feeling playing Crusader of Centy on the MegaDrive/Genesis, but haven't played it that much.

17. onipunk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You might be the only person I've ever known who calls Mario Party "warm" rather than "friendship ruining horseman of the apocalypse"

TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
  18. Akihiko

Akihiko Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just thought of another one. 100% orange juice was really fun to play with friends~

19. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just know when I was a lot younger on some winter days me and some friends would play Mario Party 1 and we all really enjoyed the minigames. Some of them were surprised how much they enjoyed it. It was a nice game to play when it was too cold to do much outside.

In my opinion, the graphics also had a nice friendly warmth feel to them. They were really nice, bright and colourful.

onipunk likes this.
  20. onipunk

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @atoms Oh no, I totally get it, they're great games and super fun right up until some git nicks all your stars and then you have to not talk to your mates for a week until you can forgive them for their underhanded betrayal

atoms likes this.