Games that had a powerful effect on you

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
For me, they were two games:

• Final Fantasy X and X-2: These games had such an intricate, emotional story that I cried multiple times during these games. These were my first forays into deeply emotional games, i've loved emotional games ever since.
  • The LittleBigPlanet Franchise (LittleBigPlanet 1, 2, and 3): The most amazing creative game I have ever had the pleasure to play, this allowed me to create anything I wanted, and eventually, create anything I wanted together with friends. I was hooked on this game for years, and got really involved in it's community :) It allowed me to create music, minigames, platformers, full games, multiplayer versus games... so many possibilities. Some people also made short films, and also hour-long movies!

AlexisVargas

Hetalian
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
for me, HetaOni, no doubt about it.
I don't think a game has ever affected me as much as that one. it made me see the fandom in a whole new way.
and it made me way more attached to the characters, it even made me like characters that I didn't like all that much,
honestly I cried so many times playing it.

gub

you're loser.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
  • Red Dead Redemption : I cried so much.SO MUCH while playing this.When I hear the soundtrack,it takes me back to the open fields of Mexico, riding and jacking trains. My second playthrough was punctuated by ample crying breaks. After hearing Far Away, i still cry,manly tears. So happy 2 is coming out this year.
  • Spec Ops : The Line : I recommend this game SO MUCH (only 5 bucks now on steam) . It looks like a generic war shooter,and the mechanics reflect that ,just why I bought it, to shoot 3D models of people. But,it turned out to be so much more, without spoiling anything, it ****** me up. And for me, doesn't lose its poignancy every time I play it.
  • Morrowind : This was my very first true RPG. I still tear up hearing the main theme. As a young child, the fantasy world enthralled me, I remember fondly when I first arrived in Vivec,getting lost in the cantons, or when I got lost trying to get to the first dungeon,manically piecing together the directions from my journal. It felt like my adventure!
  • Dark Souls 1 : A weird choice but bear with me here. This game taught me that no matter the challenge, doesn't matter how hopeless you are, you CAN overcome it. This mindset changed my life.

HeroLite

stinky weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the disgaea series as a whole. i met a lot of great people because of it, and the main guy behind most the art (takehito harada) really inspired me to get back into drawing again! i probably wouldn't be the guy i am today if not for disgaea.

roiaa

Freelance artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
ragnarok, the graphics of that game is really simple yet Millions of players are still playing it compare to the released version of ragnarok 2

bkavoo

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Has anyone heard of BlackThorne? It's a blizzard game, go check it out!

Ben Gilliam

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
i think it was flatout 2004, im still found of it

Last edited:

Citrus-Shock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Walking Dead: Season 1

That ending, dude. I was so sad. I've never actually missed a videogame character in future installments... Dude.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Anything to do with Riku

I'm such a sucker for characters that have troubled self-esteem. Riku openly expressing his trouble with darkness and regretting his actions made him a very real and relatable character.

Okami: All of it

I felt that Okami was so well crafted, funny, sad, and beautiful all at the same time. When I think of games that touched me, I think of Okami first.

EDIT:

Cannot forget Ib.
Ib nailed atmosphere in a way that most games do not. The dev knew exactly what he was going for, and it really shows.

Or OFF
feelsbadman.
Makes me sad to think about that ending

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll jump on the bandwagon with ff6 and Chrono trigger. Amazing games.

I'll throw out one more though: Silent Hill 2.

I had never played anything like it before. Survival horror that really made you think.

Shugo

Low Life Hiomaika Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sonic Adventure have a soft place for me since it was one of the games I used to play the most when I was little, Kirby's Dreamland 3 too.
The Professor Layton series is also quite important to me, but I'm not sure if I would replay all the games since I always end up with some tears lol

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Games that had a deep impact on me? Hmmm... Okay, in no particular order (mostly because it would be difficult to put them in order of playing them).

Halo: Combat Evolved
Shooters can have a story? A GOOD story? Okay, I kind of knew this already, but it was still a VERY RARE sight to behold. More than that, the story was so interesting that I'd replayed it 200 or more times with various friends on various difficulties with various self-imposed challenges... Just to try to find all the dialogue. Just to memorize it all. The game itself was just a masterpiece of entertainment as well. I haven't played a shooter campaign so much fun since. Especially one that allowed for split-screen coop. Seriously, that was just awesome at the time.

Perfect Dark 64
Another shooter, yes I know. First shooter I ever played that had a storyline. I liked the storyline (though found it difficult to follow when I first played the game). However, the gameplay mechanics were really fun, and what kept me playing was the highly addictive multiplayer modes. In a time when all of multiplayer was just tacked on "Deathmatch" gameplay where you moved 9000000 miles an hour, it had the gonads to do different things with its gameplay. Change the weapons on the map? Check. Add bots? Check. Teams? Check. Different varied game modes? Check. A challenge mode? Check. Personal stats, awards, and an agent ranking? Check! Different difficulty of bots? Check! Add in cheats or specific game modes? Check! Change win conditions of a match? Check! Pick character models? Check! Alternate fire modes on guns? Check! The possibilities were literally endless and I played multiplayer for 9 DAYS of match time. It was the game that taught me how to fire the Falcon 2 as fast as I could. The Falcon 2 was a pistol that fired as fast as you could pull the trigger (mash the button). Held 8 shots to the clip. Very accurate, almost no bullet spread. I could fire those 8 shots off in roughly 2.5 seconds. Sometimes, much faster if I were properly "in the zone". It's a skill that's served me well in a lot of modern games, including games like Mario Party.

Final Fantasy 6
This is the game that got me into playing RPGs in the first place. The story was engrossing, the characters memorable, and the Magic System a lot of fun. The music was simply amazing as well. If you ever ask me why I got into making RPGs or playing them. This is the game right here.

Chrono Trigger
Not much for me to say here. For me, this is the greatest RPG of all time. Even more, it's the greatest game of all time for me. It has its problems and issues, yes, but it remains one of my favorites to this day. I've done everything there is to be done in the game and it was always worth it. It showed me how much fun combat in a game could be (most RPGs have some pretty dull combat). For that, it had an impact on me. It got me to hate playing games that are "mash attack to win" and "spam the best spell".

Secret of Evermore
I didn't know games could be funny until I played this game. I also didn't know they could be fun to explore and interact with.

Secret of Mana
A game I got into purely for the music and the multiplayer. The intro for this game still holds a soft spot in my heart and I will endlessly hum along with that opening theme every single time I hear it. Why aren't more RPGs multiplayer? Especially couch co-op multiplayer? I miss that!

Final Fantasy X
I know this game gets a lot of hate, but I don't really care. I loved Tidus, I thought he was well-written for being what he was (audience stand-in as well as spoiled rich boy). By God, he even had a very character arc in the game if you were paying attention to him and were invested in the story. Anyway, this game taught me that... So long as you've got fun and interesting characters, you've got yourself a game I can get lost in. The story was interesting, despite being so annoying vague... But, I liked it. I also loved the Sphere Grid. I know, I'm weird. But, I liked that you didn't "level up" so much as you earned the right to move around and unlock stuff on the grid that directly made you much more effective in combat. The crafting system though? That freakin' sucked.

Okay, that's my short list. There's a lot of games that have had an impact on my life, but those are the big main ones. If I listed them all, I'd be here all day long.

Gallia

Global Support
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check my avatar, it says enough ;)

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Astel Astyanax?! The game that the hero enters into another world to save the world? My brother played it before but he can't move to the next stage because of the boss battle glitch.

Shadow of the Ninja / Yami no Shigotonin Kage by Natsume : my childhood game. I played it and asked myself "How they made the video game?".

Ebontope

Plays video games too much to be productive.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
World of Warcraft. It made me waste my entire teenage life.

DestinyBattle

Final Fantasy Nut
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Final Fantasy VI, sole reason why I love video games and making music in general.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Breath of Fire 3, one of my favorite games...forever!:kaopride:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I now need to add Witcher 3 to this list. Best game I played. Period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey people! What do you think about a core plugin? This will save some lines of code that I repeatedly use in all my plugins...
Wondering if I should make my enemies scale in my non-linear rpg. I'm leaning towards yes, but I don't want to use Yanfly's plugin...
French folk trying to pronounce English words. I loved how the man pronounced squirrel as 'square friend'.
Therapist: any questions? Me: Yeah, are there actually people who think Hotel California is about drugs and not fame or are people just trying to upset me?
Therapist: They WHAT?
It's interesting. There are no safety hazards in our country, but if you look at the shelves in supermarkets, you'd say there's a zombie apocalypse here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppkvvet