Games you acknowledge are good but still don't like.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Zozma, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Mon Dez

Mon Dez Good Loser Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog/English
    I admit I don't have a flair to dating sims in general because I suck at pulling flags for the heroines in the games. I love the story, but it's constant text that I would prefer to see in an anime rather than pictures with transitioning faces that kinda make it quite boring to be frank.

2. SVGK

SVGK I see them. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    zelda games, i just don't feel any draw to it.

3. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    The Pokemon Franchise. I can only shrug and stare blankly. They must be good, but I just don't get it. Those types of games just aren't my cup of tea.

The only type of monster-collection game I ever enjoyed was Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. And even then, I could only play it for so long before it got old.

Just for fun:

If you have any friends that are fans of Pokemon, but are otherwise graphics-and-technology snobs when it comes to games, try to bait them into hardcore mode. Really get them worked up about how important HD visuals, innovation, etc. are, and why old games just can't compare. Then, while wearing your best Trollface, ask "What about Pokemon?"

Priceless.

4. monkeynohito

monkeynohito Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Zelda is kinda the opposite for me, I always think I won't enjoy the game. For some reason,  I tend to remember things that annoyed me about the games rather than what I enjoyed, but once I start playing it's like, Whoa, half the day has passed, I really need to go to the bathroom, maybe think about eating...

Phantasy Star 2 is more a game I wish I could still love, but don't. I love the memory of finishing that game once upon a time, but it's so tough to play it much at all now. I manage to crawl out of the first few dungeons, beaten and torn and it's nice to see I still have the skill and endurance, but the antiquated gameplay just gets to be too much.

The Elder Scrolls games definitely fit the bill for this topic though. I love to mod the hell out of Oblivion, but once I start actually playing I just can't give two teeny tiny shits about any of the story or quests. I love New Vegas and FO3 though, so it's not that I just don't dig that style.

5. VegaKotes

VegaKotes Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hmm...I'd say for me the Witcher Games.

They look dayum good and I hear not but nice things about them, I just couldn't get into it.

I think the farthest I got into one was the demon dog village and I tapered off.

Shin Megami Tensei.

Yup, that one.  I was hanging out with a friend and popped that into my ds, got about a day in, turned off the ds, and handed back the game.

It's a solid game from what I can tell I just couldn't get into it, nothing was enticing me to keep going.

Ars Arcanum.  It had an interesting magic system, balanced (from what I remember) combat, and a story that could sell.

But....I just hit a wall and stopped.  I can't even remember what it was specifically.  I just remember getting to a point in the game and going, "I'm not really having fun here...think I'ma stop now."

6. Rapu

Rapu One foot in grave, the other in hell. Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    There are many:

Minecraft

Final Fantasy VII, VIII & Tactics

Chrono Cross

Chrono Trigger

Grandia

The World Ends With You

Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Earthbound

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

World of Warcraft

7. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which one? Like, that is a huge series. You say DS, so I assume Strange Journey or Devil Survivor, but with emulators it could have been any number of other games.

8. VegaKotes

VegaKotes Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it was Devil Survivor, that sounds familiar.

9. sanspants

sanspants Kind of odd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm gonna say "the entire Grand Theft Auto series". They're neat, a lot of people love the series, but I just can't get into any of them. I tried with the first one on PC, again on the Xbox with San Andreas, and on the PS2 with GTA3. I like some of the themes (like Vice City) but they just didn't resonate with me.

10. Hybrida

Hybrida I LOVE YOU TOO Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Any Final Fantasy. (never played one in my entire life)

Any game that's over hyped to the extreme. 

11. BigEd781

BigEd781 undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC Veteran

First Language:
    Dothraki
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm curious; how can you claim to dislike a game you have never played?  How could you possibly know if it is "over hyped" or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  12. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually agree with that.

Its like why I don't praise or criticize FFXIII. I've never even played it. I'm not going to just immediately believe every bit of review and internet dogpile there is about a game I've never played.

BigEd781 likes this.
  13. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I understand that too, the only why that makes sense to judge a game you never played is to watch someone else play it almost all the way through, but even then, that's not the full experience.

14. Conect11

Conect11 We have titles? Err, um, "Mr." I guess... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One I completely forgot about: Dark Cloud 2. Loved the first installment, and can see how the sequel is a well put together game, but for the life of me no matter how many times I pick it up I just can't bring myself to like it.

15. Luminous Warrior

Luminous Warrior Knight in Battle Scarred Armour Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a long list of such games. But the majority of this list boils down to two things: Genre or rating.

Horror games don't appeal to me. A game that has a few creepy bits or a dark story line are OK, but a game created for the sole purpose of scaring the pants off of you just makes me wonder, "What are people THINKING!!". First person shooters give me a headache. I don't know why, but they do. And I have a motto, "If I don't want my kids [playing] this, then I shouldn't [play] it either.". Thus, I do not play M rated games. Some T rated games are OK, but not M.

16. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are a lot of games I've bought or wanted to play and then decided were simply not for me.. and I do feel they are good games.. just not my style. Maybe I used to like these types of games or maybe all my friends said it was good and I tried it out etc..

Magicka springs to mind immediately..but there are so many games that fit this category that I can't list them all...

17. soulcrona

soulcrona Master of the dry rpg Member

First Language:
    English
    Sorry for saying this but.

COD

Black ops.

Travatar likes this.
  18. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    Seiken Densetsu 3... There are so many things to love about it--the graphics are beautiful, it uses pastels without being obnoxious about it, and I can't think of a finer example of "breaking the grid" when it comes to tile-based graphics. The music is exquisite, and I'm a sucker for any game with a class system. The fact that you could pick characters and experience the plot in one of several different ways is just beyond awesome.

The problem? The combat system is such a huge step backward from Secret of Mana that I wondered if my computer was lagging the first time around (yeah, emulator.) That was about 5 years ago, and 3 computers later it's the same deal. Not that SoM was perfect or anything, but SD3 feels halting and sluggish by comparison.

Most people don't seem to mind, but I just can't enjoy the battles at all.

To this day, I'm not sure if it's because Nasir Gebelli wasn't on the programming team this time (the man is/was a genius), or if they wanted to make it less "actiony" on purpose. But to me, SD3 feels more like an action-flavored RPG than an Action RPG.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  19. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will forever love Nasir Gebelli based solely on pictures of him in the 80s. That dude was Disco as hell.

Travatar likes this.
  20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Skyrim... I don't like to play it because it makes me dizzy...

FF Tactics Advance 2... It seems nice but I don't like it... I liked the Tactics Advance though...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013