Games You Love That Everyone Else Hates

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MobileSuitSonic, Feb 5, 2017.

1. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Everyone has an unpopular opinion and I may get pilloried for saying this: but I didn't think Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, for what it was, wasn't so bad. Part of this is perhaps the music and aesthetics, but another could be because I was never that big on the FF series, TBH.

What are some games you didn't really mind?

Sauteed_Onion and byronclaude like this.
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Magic and Mayhem. It got panned at the reviews when it was released, but I decided to try it out when it was in the bargain bin, and ended up loving it.

3. jezebelthenun

jezebelthenun Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    FF VIII

I love it, and everyone else thinks it's bad or stupid. I actually like it a lot better than VII, personally. The story was pretty good, and even f he was an emo kid, Squall was a pretty decent protagonist.

consolcwby, bjenks, Vaena and 2 others like this.
  4. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @jezebelthenun I've always felt the same about VIII, thought Squall was about as likeable as an introverted, depressed teenager with holes in his memory who had been trained since his early teens to assassinate the closest thing to a mother he's had could possibly be. It's not his fault that the story went so totally off the rails halfway through, up until Balamb and Galbadaia Gardens ram each other VIII is my favorite Final Fantasy; but I can sympathize with people who use the other half of the game as grounds for condemnation as well, because really, the Adell and Ultimecia arcs are just so out there and random that they always feel like filler to me when I play them. As if the game were originally written to climax at the Seed battle, but VII had 3 disks so of course VIII had to have 4, not 2.

Edit: Hmm, spoilers apparently aren't working right, they just keep the text from appearing at all.

More recently for me, the Technomancer. Probably one of the stupidest names/titles I've ever heard before, but a really fun rpg (and an actual rpg, not an action/adventure title with a couple of upgrade paths thrown on in order to stamp it as one) just the same that just can't get higher than a 4/10 from professional reviewers and more often than not got half that. Best ten dollars I've spent in a while, almost didn't because I expected Bound by Flames on mars when I first saw it, but well worth the risk in the end.

robhr likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're correct about that. I once said that the story from end of disk 2 onwards was like someone wrote down every idea they could think of, put them in a blender, and hit blend. Disks 3 and 4 were seriously coo-coo.

As it is, they probably felt like they had to put that content in, else it would have been much shorter than ff7. I seem to recall getting to end of disk 2 after about 16 - 18 hours of playtime on my first playthrough. Can you picture the outcry if ff8 had been ~20 hours and 2 disks?

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  6. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It would have been a shitshow at the time, but would probably be much more fondly remembered today than it is as well, probably more akin to how X is remembered rather than the solitary ranking of worse than the MMOs it has cemented for itself for so many at this point.

They just dropped all the balls after Edea, the balance crashes almost as badly as the story at that point, assuming you don't grind the draw system the game stays fairly balanced up to that point but the numbers start hitting game-breaking even if you aren't trying to do it soon after just by the sheer volume of manipulation the junction system affords you once you start getting 3+ experienced summons on each guy.

7. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Faded popularity, this one, not necessarily hated but deserves far more love. Guitar Hero.

Sure, it was in competition with Rock Band, but don't forget that Harmonix had a big hand in GH's development.

Of course, the love does live on with the charts and audio ripped for Phase Shift, but even then it's not as well-loved as the game series deserves.

Yes, the graphics in the video are Rock band, but the song was only featured in Guitar Hero: Metallica. R.I.P. Lemmy.

8. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hyperdimension Neptunia..... Most people think it has too much fanserivce and/or is sexist.... But I enjoy the series and continue to~! :kaojoy:

9. Valryia

Valryia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When i first played Time&Eternity, i was delighted. An over the shoulder JRPG? With an semi-original battle system, and beautiful drawn characters?! Then when i saw the Metacritic score of Time&Eternity, i was shocked. Lower then Unlimited Saga, one of the worst JRPGs of all time? The heck!

Reapergurl likes this.
  10. BoredSoul

BoredSoul Probably Drunk Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't know about any games... but for movies, I liked Star Wars Ep 7.

11. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Maybe No Man's Sky?
    I don't exactly love it, but it's kind of relaxing, and i like the feeling of just traveling to different planets.

consolcwby likes this.
  12. Rose Tinted Dreams

Rose Tinted Dreams Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    LittleBigPlanet 1, 2, and 3.

Sure, there are many people who like them, but so many people around the world think the games are "kiddy" and don't look past that initial impression.

dreamfall887 likes this.
  13. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Arcana heart 3 most people think its a "panty fighter" it doesnt even have any panty shots...well besides one of petras supers, and it has a really good set of mechanics in the arcana system and hoimg dash

14. dreamfall887

dreamfall887 Moon Priestess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope. A lot people hate the story and find the main characters annoying (the bad English dub didn't help lol). But I thought the battle system was really fun and yeah the plot was cheesy as hell, but I didn't think it was as bad as people said it was. So yeah the game is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine lol.

15. Pikheat

Pikheat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Dynasty Warriors Series.

In the past I played the hell out of it.
    Now it got a little famous because of the hyrule warriors thing.
    But i prefer to stick to the original.

Started with Dynasty Warriors 3 ( the first and second one do not have the same gameplay style ),
    and played them all.

captainette777 likes this.
  16. IttleRPG

IttleRPG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Drag-on-Dragoon. Everyone can't bare of the slow slashing speed, when I found it's more impactful this way. And man the story. Purrfect!

17. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have over 70 hours up on it... Its a nice game for winding down and just wandering around doing feck all.

consolcwby likes this.
  18. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so mine wasn't necessarily hated... but rather it was like, MISSED... by the whole rpg loving community (usa) during it's release... and I fell deeply in love with it...

"Arcana" for SNES. :)

The game offered a simplistic first person point of view in a simple medieval magical world... it was turn based. But to play through the game, the overall experience was awesome. The game is rarely discussed today (in comparison to others released at the time).

I have actually been theorizing and drawing up "blueprints" for a way to manipulate the mechanics of rm2k3 to create a sort of tribute game similar in idea.

djDarkX likes this.
  19. UnicornsVomit

UnicornsVomit Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Resident Evil 6 i didn't get the hate, it was a good ACTION game i felt people put way to much into thinking "it should be" as to what it was, i know 7 went back to its roots but i don't see the hype, think people were more nostaligic and it took over for that one.

20. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ephemeral fantasia is one a my most favorite rpgs an I dont know any one else who likes it.