Games You Love That Everyone Else Hates

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MobileSuitSonic, Feb 5, 2017.

1. bkavoo

bkavoo Freelance Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Not really hated but unappreciated cause it's old, Chrono Trigger.

2. Eliel Micmás

Eliel Micmás The Drawing One Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Chrono Trigger fortunately has never been hated, just forgotten.

As for me, I like CrossFire, a FPS free-to-play game.

bkavoo likes this.
  3. roiaa

roiaa Freelance artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    ragnarok , they say that the graphics sucks but meeh graphics is really good for its gameplay.

4. robhr

robhr come on die young Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotta agree with Final Fantasy VIII. The aesthetics were right up my ally, and that's always been one of the most important parts of a game for me.

The junction system was kind of stupid, but I liked how you could put 100 ultimas on speed and have rapid fire turns. Kind of makes it a little too easy though.

5. Winter_Beetle

Winter_Beetle Insect Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Does anybody remember Ratchet: Deadlocked (Or Gladiator) back on the PS2?
    Its considered to be the Black Sheep of the entire series due to how out-of-place and "Edgy" it is...
    But I still really enjoyed its sense of style, weapon modding added a ton of customization to your weapons and all the new characters they added into it were charming. (Were they ever used in a future title? Asides for the Dallas Chalice in Secret Agent Clank?)

6. jmike

jmike Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Final Fantasy XII. Everyone seems to hate it for being a departure on the FF formula, but I loved it for what it was. My fave FF and possibly my fave RPG too. There's just something fun about its semi-tactical nature that has me waiting for the remaster.

Orb and TCRegan like this.
  7. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sigma Star Saga, an RPSSG ( role-playing-space-shooter game)

@robhr Me too. I like FFVIII

trouble time and robhr like this.
  8. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll offer two games for the price of one:

Tecmo Secret of the Stars for the SNES and Beyond the Beyond for the Playstation. Both RPG's and both either very unliked or hated. I love them for the music, more than anything, the play style, the graphics and in TSotS's case, the story. Yeah, it's cliche as hell, but I actually liked it, despite its steep difficulty slope.

9. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Marvel Heroes Online.
    Okay, I'll fully admit that I think the "Marvel RPG series" (X-Men Legends 1, X-Men Legends 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Marvel Heroes Online) gets progressively worse as the series goes on, with the sole exception of X-Men Legends 2 being better than the first game (or so I heard, never played the first one), but they're not bad games per say.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 gets the most hate though. The gameplay is samey, story is downright stupid and goes by to fast and the graphics are atrocious (the bloom is off the charts!). Despite that, I was hooked. The story was dumb, but dumb in that action movie kind of way where you know it's not high quality stuff, but you enjoy it anyway. The character roster was actually really good, it included some of my favorite superheroes like Iron Fist, Black Panther and the Fantastic Four, though I would've liked more X-Men characters like Night Crawler or Beast. There were boss fights up the wazoo, each had their own gimmick that made sense with the hero/villain you were fighting, which made every encounter interesting, if needlessly annoying sometimes, Giant Man in particularly being annoying.

I mentioned the story before, but it's filled with such hilarious fictional pseudo-science and one sided stakes that it becomes oddly engaging. The fact that the "Nanites", which is body snatching A.I. can leave someones personality intact, instead making them more subtle in their conquering of the world is actually a pretty neat twist.

Is it a great game? No. The "power fusion" was a lousy attempt at replacing the X-TREME attacks from X-Men Legends 2 and the party and level up system were hilariously simplified to the point where you could rearrange your stat/skill points at any point you wished, even in the midst of boss fights. The biggest flaw honestly was the horrible pacing of levels in the end game. Everything just dragged on, Wakanda in particular is a slog.

I never thought Deadlocked as all that "edgy". The aesthetics were a bit darker, but the classic Ratchet comedy was still there. I guess the story was a lot more twisted than usual, but the silliness never made it seem dark and gritty. Personally, Deadlock was actually my second favorite Ratchet game, next to "Up Your Arsenal".

10. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Diablo 3. It got a ton of hate (deservedly) because of the auction house. People also wanted to get from it what they got from Diablo 2, but you can't recapture that magic...

Overall, I thought it was a solid game that captured the essence well, and removed some of the things that irritated us about D2

11. justinpaulcyr

justinpaulcyr Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like P.N.03 and Jaws for NES.

12. jimmyhocky

jimmyhocky Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When i first played Time&Eternity, i was delighted. An over the shoulder JRPG? With an semi-original battle system, and beautiful drawn characters?! Then when i saw the Metacritic score of Time&Eternity, i was shocked. Lower then Unlimited Saga, one of the worst JRPGs of all time? The heck!

13. TCRegan

TCRegan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not my favorite in the series, but definitely one I really enjoyed playing. Can't wait for the HD release.

For games I like that many people seem to hate... going to go with Dragon Age 2. Had a lot of faults, no doubt about that, but it's my favorite of the series. Really enjoyed it. In the same vein, Mass Effect 3. Seems that everyone who played the ME series hated 3 for the ending but I liked it. Would replay both games without hesitation (and have!)

14. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vandal hearts 2, imo one of the most badly misunderstood games ever.
    Though its understandable, how many games feature abstract concepts like destiny and will as protagonists?
    Yeah the battle system had its faults but i also loved the absolute freedom it gave you.

Also not sure if this one is also hated but i want to mention Xenogears, i loved all of it, yes disc 2 too.

robhr likes this.
  15. jimmyhocky

jimmyhocky Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gotta agree with Final Fantasy VIII. The aesthetics were right up my ally, and that's always been one of the most important parts of a game for me.

16. Emanzi

Emanzi Ekamu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    [​IMG]

Persona Revelations: Honestly I think this was the best one, apparently the Japanese version is "racist".

17. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The 2010 version of Ace of Spades was in Rock Band 2, but that's not the usual version.

Personally, I love Guitar Hero more than Rock Band. My favorites are GH5 and GHWofR for more polished gameplay than GHWT, but equally badass setlists. I loved the flow in their setlists, and while people slam GHWT for having foreign music, GH5 for being too varied, and GHWofR for having too much metal, I loved all three of those things. Yet they praise RB3 for it's variety, and I honestly loathe RB3's setlist for it's low quality and cowardly chosen song choices. I'd honestly say GHWT, GH5 and GHWofR are three games I love that others don't.

18. Yitzi Litt

Yitzi Litt Made Nepenthe — An RPG that's one giant dad-joke Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Hardest Game Ever.
    Its an old flash game that I used to play when I was little, and It was a wonderful time-waster!

19. Orb

Orb Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    @jmike Same here! FFXII is by far my favorite game of all the saga. The reasons why many people hate it are the same as to why I love it

I would add Fire Emblem Awakening (I really enjoyed that game, though not too many people did) and Batman Arkhan Origins, which was considered as the worst in the saga, but I feel it was actually the best one.. Highly underestimated.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  20. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Quest 64.
    Maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia but I love the soundtrack and the magic system that nobody else likes.
    "the spells are just fireball, bigger fireball, biggest fireball"

Final Fantasy did the same thing you all love it so much *grumble grumble*