Games You Love That Everyone Else Hates

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by MobileSuitSonic, Feb 5, 2017.

1. KrimsonKatt

KrimsonKatt Pyromancer Veteran

Neo Arcadia, Nabes Desert, Kingdom of Nogarde
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite game series. A lot of people say it's for little kids because it has Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck as major characters. It's not. It has a gripping, emotional story with lore stretching across thousands of years, memorable characters, (except for Xion pls don't hurt me) and a great action battle system. 0 and 2.8 may not be the most balanced (Thunder Surge, Shot Lock, Cartwheel, Balloonra, etc) but overall the series is super fun and sometimes a real challenge (on critical) or beyond Cuphead levels difficult. (Level 1 Critical)

2. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The biggest problem with SaGa Frontier was its absolutely bizarre difficulty curve. some parts were just like beating your head against a brick wall.

GuanyuMaker likes this.
  3. GuanyuMaker

GuanyuMaker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah. Like playing Lute and after 15min of game you already meet his final boss and its 5 phases. Said that most of its unbalances are consequences of freedom given to the player. While you're allowed to visit most places from the start of the game , monsters are not scaled to the hero party so the player is supposed to know or learn where to go and when. Playing as Red( the most linear character) you rarely find any challenge as everything got scripted. But still there's some moments when playing as some characters that you can find a couple of game breaking difficulty jumps that can only be surpassed after heavy grinds!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have to say "Record of Lodoss War" on the Sega Dreamcast. Yeah, it ended up just another Diablo-alike game in tone and gameplay; still, they managed a really high quality game that suffered mostly from being released in the waning months of the ill-fated console's lifetime.

As far as FF goes, I'll leave it at X / X-2 was the last acceptable title in the series. Everything since has been trash. ( With that said, I've heard good things about XV. However, due to them getting the rights to, and subsequently killing, Grandia -- I'll never give square another nickel. )

5. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Fire Emblem Awakening is my favourite game of all time and while I’m not biased enough to claim it’s the best in the franchise, I personally don’t understand all the hate it gets from the fan base.

I also love Halo Reach which is in a similar situation to Awakening.

6. Maj

Maj dazed and confused Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    People don't like Awakening? What? Awakening is one of my favourite games of all time, too! I've played it more times than I can count. And definitely married most of the characters.

Well, I guess it also counts as my answer to this thread!

NeoFantasy likes this.
  7. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A lot of people like to attack the marriage and children system and from what I’ve seen use that and sone of the fan service to attack the game.

While Awakening is no Genealogy, it’s also not Fates. I feel a lot of people are still ticked about Fates, and blame Awakening for how it turned out as Fates borrowed a lot from it.

8. Maj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not gonna lie, I love getting to marry people and I love the children system. I once married Miriel and Kellam and got Knight Laurent, which was stupidly funny. So I guess the reason other people hate it is the reason I love it?

NeoFantasy likes this.
  9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @NeoFantasy : In my experience, Fates tried to imitate Awakening with no understanding of why things worked in Awakening, so we got a nightmarish goulash in the end.

NeoFantasy likes this.
  10. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While "love" is a bit too strong word, I really like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It doesn't deserve any of the hate that it gets. It has nice graphics, good music and it's pretty solid game overall. The fact that enemies show how dead they are was a nice boon too since otherwise you only had to guess in most of the games. You can avoid battles since they're not random encounters. If you lose a battle due to some cheap attack, you can restart the exact same battle instead of a traditional game over and loading save file. The way speech bubbles displayed exactly which person was talking was also nice.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  11. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I think this is about half the problem. Especially concerning how they shoehorned the children and sidequest structure, they were clearly elements not designed for Fate's world and they don't complement its gameplay.

The other half is that they also tried too hard to please the pre-awakening fans, without really knowing what pre-awakening fans wanted from the franchise.

I would say they didn't please anyone, but there are clearly people who like the game. However, there are plenty of fans of Awakening who aren't fans of Fates, and I think that's because they tried to please everyone.

There was a lot of Awakening hate even before Fates.
    I'm mad at Fates because I thought it would improve on Awakening's structure.

NeoFantasy likes this.
  12. Maj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I absolutely love Fates. Like, I've played Birthright and Conquest a stupid amount of times already and love all the characters. But I agree with you that it definitely did kinda just feel like a rehash of Awakening (which, of course, I didn't mind as I loved Awakening, but it was a bit weird to stay the same instead of moving forward).

I guess I also like it a lot because I'm not much of a fan of the original Fire Emblem games. I'm not that good at games and find them a bit tricky and Awakening and Fates were much more accessible for me, so I'm coming at it from another perspective.

NeoFantasy likes this.
  13. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Seacliff I completely forgot about th child mechanic in a Fates... Yeah... that’s ad really dumb. Conquest did have challenging gameplay, but they completely forgot about the story which is part of what made the old games so good.

@Maj Moving forward, I’m oretty confident that big casual mode and the turn wheel while stay in the franchise, so hopefully that will make future games more accessible. Have you played Echoes yet? It strikes the perfect balance in my opinion between the old and new styles.

Awakening also gets flack for introducing casual mode, when in fact it was introduced in Fire Emblem 12 along with the avatar and marriage system, so really Awakening just evolved from that.

Moving forward I would personally like to see the franchise go back to its roots a bit in a similar way to how they designed Echoeswhuke keeping things like the support system and possibly even marriage (without children unless it works for the story)

14. Maj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @NeoFantasy Yeah, casual is definitely what helped me out! And I've been short of money for a long time, so I haven't played Echoes yet, but I really want to. I have to say I do like the marriage/support system because I feel like it does add an element of thought with "who is the best person to pair this character with to complement both of their strengths", and I really enjoy the character conversations.

NeoFantasy likes this.
  15. NeoFantasy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I enjoy it as well and wouldn’t mind it it returned, I just feel as though scripted romances can have better development as it can happen throughout the story and directly impact it or take affect from it.

Though I do hope they add supports between every unit, if there was no relation between units, they wouldn’t have a support conversation at all in Echoes.

16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This game was super awesome.

I still remember the voice lines for the smith guy, because when you were upgrading stuff a lot it would sound like a hip hop remix.

"A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a mighty spell."

Mrs_Allykat likes this.
  17. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OMG!!! I almost forgotten about that line!! Hahaha!! There was a couple of N64 RPG's that got put on the Dreamcast as well that I liked too. One with a random dungeon. It wasn't the best RPG ever or anything -- but I also like both Evolutions.

Also, Grandia II was one of the best RPG's ever made on any platform, but that one was even loved by the critics and doesn't fit into this topic.

18. Alkemical

Alkemical Transient Lion Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Final Fantasy VIII > VII.

Salt come to me.

19. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma Envoy of Silliness Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I play Animal Crossing regularly. It's the kind of game I can play to take my mind off the chaos of every day.

20. D.ray

D.ray Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I highly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII yet I see so much hate on it. Some of which I think is over exaggerated, although I am aware aware of its flaws. The biggest gripe i have with it is it's writing, but I still enjoyed the game despite it. Love the character designs, the settings, monsters, combat system and of course the music.