Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    We all have that game that everyone talks about and praises... then we play them ourselves and think otherwise. Sometimes we don't even see what people saw in the game to begin with.

For me, that game would have to be Secret of Mana on the SNES. I gave it a chance, I wanted to like it, but I can't see what others see in it. I found the stories and characters to be very bland and uninteresting, menus being a pain to navigate, no descriptions for items, a very bad AI  for the enemies and partners... and I hadn't even gotten to the broken magic system or the unbalanced bosses. People tried to back these complaints up saying was at least good for it's time, but I fully digress to the max. Seiken Densetsu 3 (the game's Japanese only sequel) was released on the same console less than two years later and fixed most, if not all the problems I had with Secret of Mana.

So what are stories you guys have? To keep things interesting, let's gloss over insanely popular games like Final Fantasy 7, because I think we are well aware that those games have a huge anti-fanbase following them.

2. That Odd One

That Odd One Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Undertale. Everyone is so obsessed with it, it's not fun or interesting to me what's the hype? I didn't get into it. A 10/10 really people? I was already bored even an hour and a half in. Played it again, sill didn't like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
    Clangeddin, XPKobold, Mihel and 2 others like this.
  3. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I know you said not to, but seriously...FF7.

On another note, Super Castelvania IV. Everyone makes such a big hooplah about it. I've been playing the series since it came out, and I wasn't blown away by the title, rather, I was disappointed by it. The music was severely lacking in quality (ESPECIALLY in comparison to its predecessor, Castlevania III, which has tracks that are STILL being used in recent Castlevania titles), the graphics were mediocre, and the boss fights were boring and lackluster (I sincerely never felt challenged with any of them.). Even Death, who is notorious for being one of the most difficult bosses in the game, was absurdly easy to defeat. And the final fight against Dracula? Talk about setting the mood with music...it's a good intro theme, but to actually FIGHT the guy while listening to that music? It was boring. And when he reaches the half point, Simon Belmont's theme kicks in. I don't want to hear the triumphant tune of the hero! I want to hear how much more terrifying his second form (even THAT was a joke) is via music! How terribly lame!!

Seriously, though, Super Castlevania IV garners almost as much attention as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. And I'm not even going to get into that one in this post.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  4. Chester

Chester Meow Kitten Veteran

First Language:
    Cat Tongue
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah meow FF7 is too over rated but the Castlevania games are over rated becuz they ARE Good. FF7...well...I tried it but the beginning part where Cloud keeps using "Cover" to block attacks from hitting Ariel was way too challenging for me so I uninstalled at my first Gameover >:3 Hopefully they'll take out that part in the new release. That's all i'm worried about becuz i am a Christmas Kitten. :3

AwesomeCool likes this.
  5. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    one big fan of FF7 but i believe all FF games FF7+ are either overrated(FF7, FF8, FF10, FF12) or underrated (FF9 and FF13)

but i will make a list of games i believed to be over hyped (this doesnt mean i dont like them just they are over hyped/rated)

call of duty (all of them)

halo (all of them)

undertale (personally didnt like it, bad graphics, terrible story, crappy characters, poor gameplay)

soul calibur

metal gear (all of them)

bioshock

fallout (this coming from a skyrim/elderscrolls fan)

skyrim

world of warcraft (or any MMORPG for that matter, people put to much into these sure i play elderscrolls online, and a couple MMOs here and there, but 90% of the fan base think that the MMO they are playing is the only thing worth living for and over hype/rate them into the ground)

Mihel and SpaceBot like this.
  6. nazgul

nazgul Husband Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Elder Scrolls Skyrim, its like everyone accepted that because its really big that makes it really good, despite the really bad combat.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh i forgot to mention kingdoms of amalur

the combat system is so messed up yet people praise it as the best combat system ever invented

oh look a wolf is leaping at me i'll dodge to the left..... what how did the wolf in midair spin around exactly 90 degrees to land the blow, or the fact that every hit forces your characetr to stagger, put away his weapon and and then take way to long to recover, or some attacks send you flying like 30 feet whcih people seem to forget to mention when they talk about all the amazing combos moves and stuff you can pull off...... i dare you to try and complete any combo move and not get hit at the same time, while landing said combo its nearly impossible

and how is skyrim's combat bad? it actually as very good combat for its game type, easy to aim attacks, kill cams, a block/parry system, power attacks, i mean its not a fighting game where combat is the main focus like darksiders and darksiders 2 (both overhyped as well about how "difficult" they are i mean really...... these games are easy) so for that fact alone it has a great combat system

8. Nocturnic

Nocturnic Designer and Story Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I like Deus Ex, and I really like it but it's not really the bestest game of all time; sure, story and everything else are great but the combat system is its weakest point, aka having to sit in a position enough to get a precise shot.

Fallout 4 is also good, but the dialogue system is an insult to intelligence. Hell, reading this blog post from Bethesda https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/thanks-and-updates-for-fallout-4/2015/11/19/53 ("For some, the freedom the game offers can be overwhelming") shows that they really think you are a dumbass and as someone with autism, I was decently pissed by this.

Garry's Mod, I heard it was once good but my friend who got me the game for my birthday wasn't that fond of it nor its community and both of us don't even like the developer (after all; he is a pretty lady, and never forget that he supported paid mods).

Minecraft, it was once cool but its fanbase are CoD kids. Starbound's a much better game, anyway.

Five Nights At Freddy's. It was great gameplay and story (I cared more for the story than gameplay tbh) but it should've ended at 3, honestly. Also don't start on FNaF World, into the trash it goes. Want really scary? Outlast.

Destiny. It's not really that great, also not to mention that the marketing budget is higher than the development budget.

I prefer Saint's Row over GTA tbh.

Oh, and many modern games that are out. The older titles circa 2004 were the sheep (like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Halo 2, for example).

If anyone thinks Skyrim combat is bad? They should install Ultimate Combat, Revenge of the Enemies and disable killcams. Problem solved. Crank up the difficulty for extra brutality.

Prizm Daystar likes this.
  9. Prizm Daystar

Prizm Daystar Social Butt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wanted to like Deus Ex.  I'm terrible at being stealthy, however.  Games like that, Dishonored, Thief, and Assassin's Creed are no-no's to me.  Deus Ex:  Mankind Divided looks freaking sexy, though...hope that it lives up to what it aims for.

Even if it takes forever to get a headshot.

I totally agree on Minecraft.  Squeaker pricks that you can't trust on every server that I've been to.  I've never had to put up with them personally, but it was just...well...irritating to see in chat that someone had been cheated by a kid.  I LOVE the hugeness of Starbound, but have never been able to find a good, stable, and also vanilla RP-optional server.  So that game tends to get played as a case of "FOREVER ALONE...IN SPAAAAACE!"

Yes!  I admit, 4 was my first one of the SR series, but still...I have a bigger blast playing that series than I ever did playing with or even watching people at GTA.  I think the mixtape helps...cause I'd pick up all the 70's and 80's-est sounding stuff, as well as the goofiest music that can be found.  And maybe some techno, electro, or dubstep.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  10. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Popular triple A games aside, there are some indies and games by smaller studios out there that seem to have gotten some really high ratings but which ended up only disappointing me.

Antichamber - The game has a unique artstyle, but dayum, many of its puzzles were just too frustrating for me, and all the "philosophical" messages it claims to have are just common sense mantras, but it seems to me most players just read their own meaning into something that has none at all.

Gothic series - I really couldn't get into these and I've no idea why these games have gotten such good scores. I found them way too slow paced and tedious. The 3rd one I managed to more or less get a fair bit in, but 1 and 2 just felt way too clunky and directionless for me. Doing menial tasks for random NPCs, such as collecting X number of crops from a farm isn't what I consider fun.

Transistor - Everyone seems to praise it, but I really don't see what's all the fuss about. I've played it and got bored after an hour. The game is just walk from one battle to another whilst listening to the narrator talk about irrelevant stuff.

Lisa - Yes, that popular RM game. I tried to play it, but it just felt way too relentless and random for my liking, and the battle system was just a generic RM battle system with virtually nothing changed, not even the UI.

Torchlight series - I played through the first one fully and found a lot of it pretty mediocre. Began playing the second one, and a couple of hours in and I lost interest since it just felt way too similar to the first. They're not bad games, but I just don't see why they're deemed as the best Diablo clones out there. I personally prefer Titan Quest.

The Witcher - I've not played 2 and 3, so only referring to the first one. I've seen countless people refer to it as the best RPG out there and all that, but to me it's kinda average. I enjoyed the setting and the battle system, but it's just so slow paced and has so many badly done and generic sidequests. There are always things preventing you from just getting on with the main story. I played it for over 30 hours, and I feel a good chunk of those hours were pretty diluted.

The Stranger and AwesomeCool like this.
  11. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Every Dark Souls etc. game is a broken, glitchy mess that plays like nobody actually playtested the games and just declared them "hardcore!" to sucker people into not caring about standard attacks frequently harmlessly passing through enemies.

Three games in and The Witcher doesn't seem to realize that when the entire basis of your game is that your protagonist has superhuman abilities, he should actually be faster and stronger than average enemies. Or that "grey and grey morality" doesn't mean "everyone is a jerk and you're randomly supposed to find certain ones sympathetic" or "trying to help people dooms them in a way you could have never known would happen".

And of course, Undertale is easily one of the worst games I've ever played. It's a blatant rip-off of EarthBound's style without any actual effort in the graphics. The gameplay is a repetitive unchallenging chore built on stupid gimmicks. And it thinks it's so revolutionary and deep with its "KILLING'S BAD!" moral, but in reality the game presents the majority of the monsters as homicidal racists—and you're not supposed to have a problem with that.

12. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm confused with how FF12, FF9, and Kingdoms of Amalur are overrated. I never hear ANYONE talk about them. In fact I hear mostly complaints. :(

Yes, I liked those games. XD

I don't know what I think is overrated. Probably just shooter games like Halo or Call of Duty. Maybe I'm biased because I suck at them. I DO like Doom (auto-aiming!), Hexen, and Left4Dead.

When it comes to media, I'm not that picky.

Unless it's TV or film. I'm not able to sit through something without doing anything and stay quiet. ><

Harold Ållaberg likes this.
  13. nazgul

nazgul Husband Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I just thought it was overrated. It was unsatisfying and repetitive for me. Did I enjoy it on release? Yes I did I thought it was awesome. Having come back to it I found myself disappointed with the clunky controls, key binds were utterly atrocious, the combat was probably the worst and most unsatisfying in any modern game I have played. Almost every other part of the game was better then the combat in my experience. I feel like it didn't do justice for a modern game. There are plethora's of problems in Skyrim, and they didn't outweigh the many good parts of the game. My conclusion was that it was an overrated experience.

I had another thought, I would have almost prefered, a more baldur's gate to the approach. with pre sequenced combat animation and a focus on tactics and resources management instead of a wonky first person hack and slash.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  14. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To The Moon

Skyrim/Fallout

Undertale

15. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Anything that's massively popular that I don't personally like is super overrated.

[insert top 40 sales chart here]

16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Dark Souls: I gave up on that game when I got trapped by a knee high object and then KO'd because the game forgot to put something as simple as jump in the game. Every other game I've played with that kind of combat has a simple jump button, but Dark Souls seems to think we need all the neat rolls, but leaves out something as basic as jump.

The Witcher: I did finish it (and even bought 2 still), but I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets. I thought the plot was such a jumbled mess that in the end I have no idea what actually happened or why it happened.

Dragons Age (the first one): Standard generic Bioware go do x quests to get allies (or get information or find the Mcguffin or...) then we will save the world. Found myself also getting frustrated at how obvious of a trap my players were walking into throughout the game. Gee...don't you think we should do something about those statues in the middle of the dungeon that just appeared? Nope, we have to walk past them and trigger the trap. And don't bother trying to leave someone behind to flank the statues, the game will teleport them to the trap just so their precious ambush is not foiled. In the end, I felt like the game didn't want me to think at all rationally like a group exploring a dungeon would, but instead wanted me to stumble into every stinking trap.

Pillars of Eternity: That game felt like it took every idea the backers threw out, and didn't check to see if it was good. Plus, the story was utter nonsense in the end (in my opinion).

17. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Dark Souls: I'll go ahead and say it, I don't think this game is hard, it's just slow and people seem to want to play it like a standard speed action game so they get smacked for it. 

Undertale/Earthbound: Earthbound is an odd case, it got the reception it deserved initially, but then people latched on to it for some reason. "It's not so great as a game, it's an expirence" I honestly think this is people trying to sound more enlightened than they are. I mean what am I supposed to expirence, a bad combat system and some really forced weirdness. I actually don't think Undertales combat is as bad as some would say, but the rest of it suffers the same problems as Earthbound. Even the somewhat nice combat is undermined by the fact there are other games with similar systems I could play that are better. If you're not  charmed by the atmosphere (or by the hype) there's nothing worthwile to the games.

Mass Effect: I think the game looks super bland and generic...that's basically the only reason I won't play it.

Gone Home: This one only tends to be overrated by critics, so I'll let it mostly, but basically I'd sum it up as a boring version of the Stanley Parable, which is the best game in the "walking simulator" genre by virture of allowing some choice and being funny.

Bob7 likes this.
  18. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The biggest problem I have with Undertale is that people act like the whole thing is really unique. A good example would be the people who seem to think that the whole, "killing people is bad" mechanic the battle-system possesses is something new and special, as if it isn't something that's been done before in countless titles (both commercial and indie). I've also seen people being told that they're "copying Undertale" by using a monochrome graphic scheme even though that (and similarly basic colour schemes) are stylistic choices that have been made multiple times in the past. It's true that I don't think that it's an amazing game either, but the way people act as if it contains a load of super unique features, when it demonstrably does not, bothers me more than the fact that people like it.

It basically makes me believe that the people who are saying those things, who are propelling the game to the heights that it has managed to reach, are basically people who either haven't played that many videogames in the past and so don't know what they're talking about, or are people who have really terrible memories. Those are the only ways I can think of people truly believing that a lot of the features contained within Undertale are unique.

The Stranger, Bob7 and Aoi Ninami like this.
  19. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It is possible to jump in Dark Souls; it's just that, like every other basic mechanic in the game, the controls for it (something to do with the run button) are obtuse and barely functional.

Unsurprisingly, what game is an RPG where nobody dies? EarthBound. Enemies are explicitly described as calming down, fleeing, or returning to normal (as most enemies are objects and people being manipulated by Giygas).

The game's very tagline is something that the game it blatantly rips off already did.

20. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @lilywhite: And hence my complaint about it.