Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To The Moon deserves it though, it's not made by some triple A company and it has an amazing plot along with great music and likable characters, something that bigger triple A games with much much higher budgets fail to accomplish. Of course it all depends on personal preferences.

My answer to the question.

Anyway I personally feel that The legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time is overrated to the point that it's about to explode. I love this game, it's fun, has great music and has amazing dungeon design...but I don't feel that it is the best game ever made as so many people claim it to be, don't get me wrong it is a great game but...overrated. The plot is the same as always (of course when it came out it was still fairly new.....ish) save Zelda etc with some awesome time travel thrown in for good measure but that's about it. There is nothing interesting about this at all, we meet Zelda for a total of what five minutes before she's kidnapped, Ganon's motives aren't all that fleshed out and Link...yeah none of these character are interesting or developed at all throughout the game.

(although Zelda did become a badass thanks to Sheik) Other than being told what's happening around you there is no dialogue to move the plot, no interaction between characters except for when you save them. I want to learn more about the other characters like Saria or Ruto, the world feels empty because aside from some small side quests there's nothing out there (to be fair it was on the n64) The story ends up feeling dull and empty because none of these characters matter to me...maybe I've gone on a bit...the combat is fun and the dungeon design is great but it is definitely not fair to call it the best game ever made like so many people say it is, especially with the underdeveloped plot and characters. In the end however it depends on what you're looking for, if you just want a good time and don't really care for the rest then yes it is a perfect ten to you but to me it just doesn't seem fair to call it the best game ever made when it's missing so much and calling something the best is a complete biased as not everyone likes the same things.

2. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To The Moon doesn't have "an amazing plot" imo :/ it's all based around a delusion (and they even encourage it!), that's why I put it there.. also its gameplay is not the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
    The Stranger and AwesomeCool like this.
  3. C.W. Plainview

C.W. Plainview Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't usually like to call one game or another "overrated," since a lot of people just throw the term around to label a game they don't like.

For what it's worth, I do think the "journalistic" reviews for MGSV are way more praise-worthy than they should be. Then again, that could be chalked up to the game infamous boot camp review event in which the reviewers were forced to play the game under a strict time schedule and couldn't really judge the game naturally. There may have also been some other stuff going on that no one really knows about.

Thankfully, if you read/watch a lot of fan reviews and analyses, you'll see that MGSV is actually one of the least regarded games in the series, as it rightly should be. Repetitive mission design, lackluster story and characters (especially when compared to the rest of the series), and cut content (probably thanks in no small part to the whole Kojima/Konami debacle) really work to undermine what could've been a great send-off for the series. As it is, I still regard MGS4 as the final and ultimate game in the series.

The Stranger and AwesomeCool like this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    was waiting for someone to say something on oricana of time of the zelda series...... the people who think that its the best game ever think that twilight princess was a horrible game even though it had improved graphics (best graphics for a mordern zelda next to skysword), gameplay, combat, puzzles, story and characters yet they claim that windwaker is the best game graphicly of the series aswell..... zelda fans are weird

earthbound - i can see how it gets overhyped, i personally love the game, but not for the gameplay or graphics or story or characters but the way it makes fun of itself thru out the game, also the combat system was pretty nice for a snes game of its era

and glad i'm not the only one who thought undertale was a horrible rip off game being hyped as something its not

5. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game as well, but it does have flaws OOT doesn't have.

For example, it's takes over an hour to get to the first dungeon in TP while an hour in OOT you've already been introduced to the plot, major characters, and a few dungeons (despite them all being much simpler). Also nostalgia.

I guess it's all down to opinions. I've tried to stay away from certain parts of the fanbase for obvious reasons, whenever I try to point out the gapping plotholes in OOT or Skyward Sword, I'm lucky to make it out alive.

6. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i know exactly what you mean about that gaping holes thing, i also never said it didnt have flaws just imporved in several areas over OOT

7. NeoFantasy

NeoFantasy Building Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Twilight is my least favorite Loz game it just feels so slow and boring, the world is much bigger than OOT but is soooooo empty and it just felt like a bad reimagining of OOT to me, although I will admit Midna is awesome:D

Also the whole wolf thing just didn't click with me, I wanna stab guys with my sword not bite them to death.

8. Bob7

Bob7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's an unpopular choice: Chrono Trigger.

I've tried three times to play through the game, and just got bored half way through. It's weird because I liked both FF6 and Mario RPG, and CT introduced some good concepts, but between the bland characters, a lost story line, and dull battle system, I just feel like the hype far exceeds the reality. It has some rocking bits of music, but that's it.

It's pales in comparison to the other three (to be fair, they were some really solid games,) but at least all three have their unique identities and carries some good concepts with them.

trouble time likes this.
  9. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think Oot is overrated (Majority of the "difficulty" with battles is waiting 5+ seconds just circling around it or just standing still).

I also think Skyirm is overrated, the combat is terrible (and very basic) imo and needs to be improved (plus lots of rpg elements being striped away from the previous installments).

I really do not like calling games overrated though.  It always boils down to people listing popular games that they personally do not like (including me and I do it a lot too :p ).  

If more people like a game, it does not make it better (or worse) and it doesn't really impact someone who doesn't like the game really (just do not buy the game and go play something you do like).

For example, Dark Souls is a love it or hate it game.  You either think it is a piece of trash with terrible ideas (repeat the same part over and over, terrible at teaching the player, not being told anything directly) and does not deserve the praise it is getting.  Or you love it for it's ideas (difficulty, secrets, strong emphasis of lore and it's interpretation, etc) and like that it is going against the norms of current AAA game philosophies (not afraid to go a different path then everyone else).

But ultimately the game stays the same no matter how you do feel about it (or the majority) and no one is forced to buy it.

As much as I would want games to cater to me and me alone (and for everyone have the same taste as me), it won't happen and I shouldn't try to force other people to like what they don't (or the opposite).

...trust me, there are some games that I wish would change (or not exist) and would rant hours about them if I could.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  10. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    well there are popular games that have a love it or hate it thing, but certain popular titles by definition are overrated/overhyped by the fan base and this makes non fans try the game and then when they find the game to not be what the over zealous fans hype the game as, it ruins the experiance for them

its ok to say you like a game and give reasons why, but its not ok to go around and do nothing but praise the game, force it down others throats, and make it out as more then it is and refuse to hear the opinions of others about a game and use false facts to try and tear the opinions apart or attack the the mental capacity of those who dont like the game that you think is the best thing since the invention of the house 

this is what i mean by over hype, i personally dont have an opnion on games outside the ones i play, the ones i play are generally rpgs, strategy games (romance of the three kingdoms, record of agarest war, ogre battle, disgaea), and some multiplayer games like dynasty warriors (mostly cuase i'm a big fan of the three kingdoms time period of china), samurai warriors (also a big fan of japanese lore and history), and some FPS games, and i generally steer clear of platformers (i still play super mario, and the original 3 sonic games, and donkey kong country)

this topic how ever is about games you believe are overrated, and the discussion as to why you feel certain ways about the games you are mentioning, for instance i dont have a clue why people find the combat system in skyrim to be horrible, nor do i understand how you think they took out rpg elements from the game and would like to here why you think this, the reason being that RPG stands for role playing game, and i'm not seeing the elements being removed, though i first got into RPG with D&D when i was 4 so that might be why and our definition of what is considered roleplay might be differant

11. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Lol I don't have "overated" game unless if the story plot's is sh*tty.

but a point About Undertale it's because people like Toby Fox (I am unsure of his name again you can correct me my internet bug to much for google the creator name)  work's with homestuck.

Although this not a "Rip" off but a Hommage to the Earthbound Mother 3 feeling...this not because the game have the same's features or similar to them it's a rip Off....a Rip off is a total reproduction's or EVEN the stealing of the game content by reproducing monster, graphics in it.

So Why Undertale is so popular it's because it's the way's Toby Fox played the characters, the humor and the environment. NO this not the Greatest Game ever made yes the graphics are not extremely appealing. The reason why it's reached a such popularity is how the story got handle. Toby Fox manipulate his story in a way's who make us like the universe and their character. (this not like the gameplay or the story was super original too)

And yes Toby Fox totally wanted to make us feel like we was the worst piece of crap when we enter in Genocide Run lol.

But after you sure have deep people who wanted to find a reason behind everything's When we know Toby fox for not going so deep. This a game we have to take to the 2nd degree.

and Sadly Yes AAA game's often lack's this his the "simplistic". I honestly don't always like's to have 100000000000000 lines to read about story lore ect...

Toby fox just inputed a story and left the imagination of the user go with it.

Anyway's I would say Story with repetetive scheme such Call of Duty...are overrated.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  12. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    actually to ripoff is to make a game with the same exact context, as a popular game and then say its original, which is what undertale is, it rips off the context and basic story/meaning of the mother series (earth bound is mother 2 btw)

he also gave the characters generic personalities, and threw them in a generic storyline that was basicly a ripoff of earthbound (not an exact ripoff but a basic ripoff, by taking the base story(ordinary child thrown into extrodanary circumstances that cant kill, and must save the world) and using it) and the humor is actually non exsistant

also here is another fact that really pisses me off, the graphics and audio are crap and its only 5 hours of gameplay, yet he had $50000 budget to work with.... really i mean with only $70 you can make a game 20x longer with 30x better graphics and 10x better game play, which makes undertale even worse cuase it shows just how lazy toby fox is, and it also shows that he pocketed that 50k and threw this crap out

to hype something and make it popular simply cuase of who was working with the game isnt a good enough reason

for a game to be good it needs a decent story, good characters, decent gameplay, and be appealing graphicly, now you can have a good game that is great in 3 catogories but fails in the fourth (so long as its not game play as that is the most importent part of any game) a game with a bad story can be salvaged with great characters and character development, amazing game play and decent graphics

undertale how ever, has bad story, terrible characters, terrible lazy graphics, and the game play is so-so, lets not even talk bout the fact that you have to pay for it and cant get a refund if you dont like it  and yet there are people who love it simply cause it was made by an indie guy named toby fox and say it is the best game to ever be created.... 

now that i'm done harping on undertale for the day, i have found another game that was over hyped when it first came out and forgot to put it out there

sonic the hedgehog series starting from every game released after and including sonic adventure for the dreamcast

Lux Fortuna, nazgul and trouble time like this.
  13. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Undertale is Good actually.

I don't think anything is overrated and everything gets the legacy it deserves. My least fave thing with popularity is only a cult hit, so i dont care.

Its Golden Sun
    . But I don't think its overrated, it got the legacy it deserved. If it gets more popular, i'd still think so. I hope it does. just to spite me. Please get more popular, so I can have a reason to really get mad over nothing. Gimme the salt.

14. BlackestSoul

BlackestSoul Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Games i believe are overrated.

Halo (well anything after the original really) - It became too much. So much hype for such a pathetic game. Back when xbox was new, yep it was great. But its gone to crap now.

Battlefield - I tried to get into it, but once again they all seem to be exactly the same as all the others with the newer ones having graphical enhancements.

Minecraft - I played for a couple weeks, experienced what it was like, then it got extremely boring. Now i get treated like a weirdo when i say i don't like it. It was a well overrated game.

All COD except for COD2 - It seems they have no knowledge or concept of new ideas. Black Ops 1 was ok, then BO 2 came out and was hyped more than it should have been. And even more abhorrent is BO 3.

Any car game- Seriously, i see car games and they are supposed to be fantastic and the most realistic or whatever crud they wanna tell you, i just find them to be well overrated. Forza especially. Don't even get me started on Need for Speed.

Others i found to be overrated are games like Evolve, Titanfall and The Assassins Creed series.

Thats all i can think of for now, i might add some later.

15. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Undertale's main character is Ness without his hat on, the colours changed, and drawn in MS Paint.

16. CallMeKerrigan

CallMeKerrigan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know this is pretty unpopular, but mario/space invaders/ anything retro. I get that they're classics, but it's a different time. They're done over and over and over and over and the same thing 9,000 times stops being fun. 

Also, it's just not cool seeing something you grew up with as a child just becoming a fad. Kinda ruins it or corrupts it, imo.

17. Venthros

Venthros Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When it was first released, I could not for the life of me get why everyone was going crazy about the first Resident Evil. Since then, I've played most of 'em, and still don't get it.

18. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Fallout 4- Disclaimer: I actually really like the game for what it is, the combat is enjoyable and the few shreds of rpg that it still holds onto are all really fun.

Cannot stand all the 'best fallout ever' and five star reviews for one simple reason, the dialogue. I can forgive many things in a game, scraping almost all of the rpg elements and allowing characters to go completely god-mode, fine, I just won't level up beyond 20-25 so as to stay 'specialized'. But the dialogue, when the predecessor had such multifaceted quests as Oasis, 'the Replacated man', tenpenny tower/megaton and others with multiple outcomes based on the player's actions and decisions and sometimes as many as 6 separate outcomes for individual quests how is it that watering that down to the choices of 'yes, no, and maybe later' can possibly be considered revolutionary in any way? Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a good game, but for every step forward there seems to be a corresponding step backwards down the line, and the 4.5 to 5 star reviews all over the place just seem to gloss over those steps backwards completely, and only judge the game on the steps it takes forward.

BlackestSoul likes this.
  19. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    To be fair sometimes more is factored into graphics than the actual quality of the graphics. In the case of windwaker it has a very cartoony quality to it which doesn't inherently make it less superior to other games in the series graphically simply because of an aesthetic choice. Obviously the newer the game the more likely the actual quality of the graphics will be superior but that doesn't mean its visual aesthetic is superior to another, this is something that is more subjective.

As for me and I know you said not to but I have to say FF 7 because frankly this is about my biggest one. First of all, let's get it clear I don't hate this game at all; I like it a lot actually and put in plenty of hours myself into the game battling sephiroth and hunting down weapons. I just feel that a lot of what makes this game interesting mechanically was done more or less in final fantasy 6, heck even hidden party members were in ff 6. Then there are those graphics, they don't look great at all; outside of battle cloud and other characters look a little ridiculous at times with giant bulbous bobble heads or popeye arms and some wacky looking faces. I know this was the first playstation ff but I almost would have preferred sprites.

I think this is a fair look at FF 7, again I like this game a lot and would put it near the upper part of my favorite final fantasies but I don't consider it the end all be all of the series.

20. Venthros

Venthros Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree that FF7 does not look good now. I think the battle graphics (especially the summons), backgrounds, and CGI stuff made us believe that the graphics were amazeballs back in '97.