Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Funny everyone mentions FF7's graphics, as when I first played the game I played the PC version (which game out in '98) on a PC that didn't meet the minimum requirements for processor speed. So my graphics were, shall we say, bad (and slow and very sluggish. Those summons could take minutes to cast). But I still had fun with the game despite that.

Goes to show graphics =/= good game.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  2. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    FF7 was one of the best games graphically for it's time (like OoT) and was a big reason for it's popularity.

Graphics matter and if the AAA industry is anything to go by (a large percentage of money and effort is on graphics for a game), it matters ALOT.

Game development costs and development time keep going up rapidly due to this (and games are getting shorter and smaller to try and control the increase of costs).  I doubt they spend so much on graphics, if they didn't matter (else they would just save there money for something else).

You say that a good game does not need good graphics, but an ok/meh game with good graphics is said to get more interest then just a good game.  

But who would blame them.  There are so many games out there and no one has time to play them all, so gamers look at the presentation of a game to determine if it is worth a try (like how people read a 30 word summary to determine if they want a book).

I cannot spend a ton of time researching every game out there to determine if it is a game I might like, and I doubt anyone else has time for that either.

Crimson Dragon Inc. likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Awesomecool: That wasn't my point at all. All I said is you can have a good game with bad graphics (or in my case, graphics that you cannot take full advantage of with your hardware). In the case of ff7, for me the graphics were garbage when I first played it, due to my PC being underperforming. But, this is not the place to debate that too, as that is not the original poster's question.

Back to the OP: I'd put another vote for Fallout (the original) as overrated. I've never understood the hype or the love the game got, as it has the worlds worst combat system in my opinion, so unless you were fortunate enough (or created a character that could) avoid all fights you had to endure a combat system that involved your followers unloading a barrage of bullets at your back, killing you instead of the enemy.

Freelancer is another overrated game, or was when it first came out. Maybe because everyone spoke of it like it was the 2nd coming of space sims? (Incidentally, I'm afraid Star Citizen is going to be a repeat of Freelancer, but that's probably another topic).

4. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy VII for me. I loved the game and its story (as poorly written as it may have been) and played through it more times than I can remember... but, I still think it's way overhyped, certainly not the greatest rpg I've ever played (I prefer the earlier Wild Arms games over VII), but still a good game.

Otherwise, there's been plenty of overhyped RM games over the years, especially where the review star rating is concerned. For example, the Aveyond games, while enjoyable, are way overhyped (with Aveyond 2 being my least favorite so far).

Mihel likes this.
  5. Sakuri

Sakuri Today is Today Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me it is probably Lisa, i don't hate it but i hated the way everything was executed in the sense that everytging seemed very "unfitting" to say the least

6. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

Also, to answer the question: Xenoblade Chronicles. Everyone I know raved about it and I played about ten minutes going SERIOUSLY WTF IS THIS BATTLE SYSTEM before turning it off and sending it to a friend.

Also Fallout.

Yup, gonna run away now. POOF.

BlackestSoul and NeoFantasy like this.
  7. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The usual suspects: Final Fantasy VII, and Ocarina of Time. Though in both cases they are fine games, I actually like FFVII a lot, and Ocarina I have no real problem with. Their fans just think they are "best games ever" and that is... over the top.

On a not usual suspect game: Earthbound/The Whole Mother series. They are alright. There is some interesting ideas in the whole "bizarre Japanese view of American pop culture" thing, but really. They aren't that great guys. They just aren't. Mother fans are some of the most obsessively annoying too.

Seacliff likes this.
  8. Milena

Milena The woman of many questions Veteran

First Language:
    Irish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    • Undertale

Legend of Zelda (all series)
    Mother
    Final Fantasy 6
    Final Fantasy 7
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Super Mario Series
    GTA
    Call of Duty
    Skyrim
    Dark Souls

9. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I remember when OoT came out, and the way it was explained to me was that it was a remake / relaunch of the Zelda series. So naturally I was pretty excited, and it was a decent enough game. But then I found it actually goes way back (before Link to the Past), and the multiple-Link theory was spun, which I thought was the dumbest explanation in the world. It drove a bit of a wedge between me and the Zelda series, and after that point I never gave it much regard, other than to treat each one as its own story and retelling (with the exception of Zelda II being the one true sequel) in order to have some appreciation for the games.

And can I say that Zelda II is one of the least hyped games? I mean, NES was notorious for sidescrolling rpg's, and between that Faxanadu, Castlevania 2, and Battle of Olympus, I had a crap ton of fun. If anything deserves the metroidvania touch (dayum that name), I think it's Zelda 2 and Faxanadu. I'd love to see a remake of both games getting the sort of treatment that Metroid got when it was remade on the GBA.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  10. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I do like Earthbound, but I agree it gets WAY too much praise. This is coming from someone who likes 'weird Japanese things'. I do like some of the different touches to the battle system and storytelling, and I have to give such a small development team a lot of respect for pulling so many all-nighters working on this game, but the games are by no mean revolutionary.

Does anyone remember OFF? It was made in RPG Maker, but it's pretty much the Undertale before Undertale. Tons of people praised the game back then for being all quirky and weird, but it quickly was forgotten when the next gaming fad came around. I really wouldn't be surprised if Undertale follows the same path.

11. IceMan PJN

IceMan PJN Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy VII (7)

In more recent generations, I've heard lots of players pretending that PlayStation controllers are the best, even though there's so much wrong with them, and clearly the reason for this support for such a silly controller is that so many players pretty much got into gaming on a PlayStation and that's what has felt most familiar since.  Similarly, Final Fantasy VII was many people's first Final Fantasy, and even their first RPG ever, so that's the one I keep hearing all the nostalgia over.  Unfortunately, being the first RPG that millions of people ever played doesn't make it special; just special for them because it's their first.  Personally, the last Final Fantasy that ever really held any special place in my heart was VI (6).  After that, they haven't really done it for me.  I kept giving the series another chance but while I tended to like the cut scenes I just wasn't feeling the gameplay any longer.  If I just want to see the cinematic sequences and don't care for the filler in between, that doesn't work for me.

12. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I've always liked Logitech controllers the best, but they can easily break or stop working. Luckily, they're cheap, and usually come with a warranty in case they stop before the allotted timeframe.

My least favorite has been the XB360 wireless. It's a lot more sturdier, and not too expensive, but my experience is setup is not as quick and user-friendly for some games as Logitech. Of course, handle the XB360 feels a bit more comfortable.

In any case, I seldom get hyped by anything anymore. Hype can easily turn to disappointment when the product either fails to arrive or fails to deliver.

13. Venthros

Venthros Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @IceMan PJN: What's wrong with Playstation controllers?

@amerk: I have a wireless Logitech PS2/PS1 controller and it's amazing. Very high-quality, batteries last a long time...wouldn't trade it for the world!

14. Nocturnic

Nocturnic Designer and Story Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Everyone knows the best controller is the keyboard and mouse.  :rock-left: ;) :rock-right:

BlackestSoul likes this.
  15. Labyrinthine

Labyrinthine Artist/ Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Skyrim and at least the first Halo (the only one of the series I had stomach to play through.) Both are badly designed games from the bland, copy-paste "level design" of Halo to the lifeless mannequin "characters" of Skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  16. Reavenator

Reavenator Member Veteran

I don't like the term 'overrated', because I don't think it's my place to say that a game doesn't deserve the praise it's getting just because I don't like it as much. I don't know what goes on in everyone's head, so I just agree to disagree.

The only game that comes to mind right now is Undertale.

The story seems interesting, but the gameplay is just so....tedious. I don't want to play The impossible game every time an enemy attacks me. Ditto some of the other complaints about the game already said here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
    AwesomeCool likes this.
  17. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That is what I was saying earlier.

I would prefer talk only of underrated games, really.

Why would I want a game someone else might enjoy to be less loved or exposed?  I would rather have a game that I like get more attention then make games I do not like have less.

Susan and Venthros like this.
  18. Venthros

Venthros Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Good idea!

19. ___

___ Villager Member

_

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  20. FlareBlitzed

FlareBlitzed Interdimensional Traveller Member

First Language:
    English
    A few particular games/series that come into mind.

Five Nights at Freddys series, the first game when it came out was good as it was something new to witness/experience, afterwards the games became repetitive.

Undertale (i sorry to say) is extensively overrated, I don't have anything against those who love it, the hype of the game and the fanbase doesn't make the game itself all that special compared to any other rpg game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    Sailerius likes this.