Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Sakuri

Sakuri Today is Today Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay i guess I 'll say it, okay i am not calling OOT a bad game heck it's probably my favorite game on the N64 but it does not deserve all the praise. There have been many more playable zelda games and also some really great story experiences, for example the Last of us, while not played it personally i think that the last of us showed the world that games can be very cinematic. OOT was a very good game for it's time but the graphics have been very outdated and also gave zelda the dumb tropes that all zelda games use today.

2. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Actually Link to the Past gave all those tropes to the series.

3. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Undertale is NOT Overrated, it's just VERY VERY VERY hyped, but when you play it, it lives up to your expectations and that's what matters at the end.

And terrible story? Terrible characters? I can't believe what I'm reading here, the characters of that game are great and likeable and the story is actually very intriguing. Also I don't care about the graphics (which isn't that bad), that game is pretty much a solo effort and it's admirable what Fox managed to do mostly by himself.

Back in topic now:

The Walking Dead by Telltale and I'll tell you why...

Illusion

of

choices.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    EternalShadow, Susan, Justice and 2 others like this.
  4. stupid enough to like FF13

stupid enough to like FF13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Most of the characters in the game are either violently insane or outright racist psychopaths, and 90% of the story is cliched junk that tries to make excuses for how the game's "violence is bad!" moral doesn't apply to them but instead ends up making them look more insane and psychopathic.

5. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @lilyWhite: That's your opinion and outlook of the game, and I'm sure a lot of people share your sentiments to some degree. I'm not sure why it sounds like you think only the protagonist of a game is allowed to go violently insane (by killing random monsters and humanoids while the MC is the one who intruded on their territory) or being an outright racist psychopath (by thinking only the MC's species has the right over all other species/races, since only the MC's species can ever be 'right' in anything). Also, what game doesn't have cliche? Nothing is original anymore. It's mostly a matter of execution, than worrying about being the most original developer on the planet. Did you play the Genocide mode, by the way? I wonder who's more insane and psychopathic now. >_>

Personally, I think the game is way overhyped, and the battle system is a bit tedious, but I like it and find that it's a really nice game and a nice change, especially how you really don't have to kill anyone (save one) to get the best ending.

@Dalph™: Now you've gone and done it. Why did you have to mention Telltale's version of The Walking Dead? >_>

I've been trying to forget that game for ages. Thank goodness the Wolf Among Us is much better made, despite still leading to same ending. :)

I like @AwesomeCool's way of thinking. I prefer to bring more attention to underrated games that I like, rather waste the same amount of time and effort to throw a damper on overrated games. :D

FlareBlitzed and Marsigne like this.
  6. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If a game is overhyped, then it's overrated, and it doesn't live up to my expectations, and I went in before ever hearing about it. The characters are not to my liking, the story is not to my liking, the graphics are not to my liking, and the game is not to my liking. You're up and telling people that don't like the game "Well you can't think the characters are bad because I like them." granted in a topic about games that are overrated which comes up to "people liked this game more than i did" it's not entirely hypocritical, but still I HATE that game, and I found nothing to like about it except the music is pretty okay, but even that's not something I would write home about concerding my own tastes in music.

I think the game is terrible, and your "defense" of it doesn't do anything to change it, if anything it makes me dislike it more.

7. stupid enough to like FF13

First Language:
    English

Except it doesn't "sound" like that at all. I've played many games where murdering on first sight and genocidal killing sprees are looked upon as bad things.

The difference is that, unlike Undertale, none of those games think a violent psychopath who tries to murder a child without provocation because of their race, refuses to be talked down from killing the child, tries to keep the child from fleeing her, and won't stop trying to kill the child until she is too physically exhausted to continue trying is more sympathetic in her actions than the child she is trying to kill.

(And no, I did not play Genocide. I played the obviously-best-route route until the above-described encounter, at which point the game's stupidly-melodramatic death sequence for that character and attempts to make me feel bad for defending myself made the game's sense of "morality" perfectly clear.)

8. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

he took 50 gran from people to make that game, and only used like $105 tops.... then gave us a game with terrible cliche characters, terrible graphics, a boring mini game that is in no way innovative, a bad message (seriously, violance is wrong, but 90% of the time there is no peaceful way out and trying to say that 100% of the time there is wrong), a slow story with a terrible plot, 1 hour of game play, and then on top of all that charges you to play it

and lily white's comment that she typed while i was typing this 

9. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @trouble time

First of all, I never said the characters are not bad because I like them, I was just stating my own opinion regarding them and I believe the game doesn't deserve all this unnecessary hate (but that's just me). You are free to dislike it and hate it anytime, I shall have to disagree though. :D

@lilyWhite

The characters are not psychopaths or racists, I believe you are taking it a bit too far here.

The monsters want to kill you because you are human and you are not supposed to fight back, it is true, but they do it because they are afraid of humans and their past actions towards their race therefore they are not at fault for wanting to kill you because you (as human) hurted them, so you need to show them that you're not a bad person like your ancestors. The point of this game is to getting to know the monsters for the good people they really are and ignoring their aggression against you, and fighting them back (whose aggression is justified because of the sins of your ancestors) will make u a bad person.

The message is not really "don't kill" or "violence is bad", the message is "it's your responsibility to resolve the aggressions of these people that hate you because of what your ancestors did to them".

Susan and Hollow 1977 like this.
  10. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gonna play devils advoatce even though I don't like undertale and say I think the message is more that the player is awful for killing all these things and should think about what they're actually doing. This is when the game is taken as a whole, not individual routes. I think it gets this message across poorly, and I don't think it's a very innovate message either concering other games have done such things before as well.

That message is terrible though, like REALLY terrible. At least it is in my world view where individuals are not the collective. Am I responsible for what Hitler did because I'm also human? I'm a bad person for defending myself for something someone else did? What about the fricking mosnters, they're trying to kill you RIGHT NOW so are we now justified in killing them. You just made it sound WAY worse and WAY more inconsistent thant lilywhite ever did. That's just disgusting! It's a justification for hatred.

Sailerius likes this.
  11. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

the message is killing is bad, and just so you know by the definition of racism, the act of commiting an action/crime towards someone simply becuase of their race , the monsters are in fact racist, and the bosses are psycopaths, also the whole dont fight back ageisnt people trying to kill you is also a very bad message to be teaching people.... if they are trying to kill you, defend yourself, dont nessasariy kill them but do defend yourself

Sailerius likes this.
  12. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Dude, are you real here? It's a game not real life. Also the fact that not many humans fall there in the hole justifies my theory, that's why you are responsible (only if u want though), the game lets you choose and gives you weapons to defend yourself, it'll be your choice if you want to use them or not.

EDIT:

The monsters are also trapped there, so they have no way to interact with other humans, that's why they spread their hate towards the first human they meet.

Susan and Hollow 1977 like this.
  13. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The "message" is what they want people to take away from the game, so what is percieved as the message is what the game wants us to apply to the real world. So yes I'm serious. Also you just said earlier that you're "a bad person" if you defend yourself, and the game agrees with that message by giving you a terrible ending if you choose to defend yourself. Now granted, I already mentioned I don't think that's what I think the games message is actually meant to be, but it's a disgusting idea to judge people on actions they didn't commit.

Susan and Sailerius like this.
  14. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @lilyWhite: I'm glad that it's not what it seem to sound like. :D

I do agree with you that most games view unprovoked murder and killing sprees as bad things. :)

To be fair, when I said you don't have to kill anyone (save one), in actual you don't even have to kill that one monster. It's just that killing that one monster won't affect your True Pacifist run.

@trouble time: Just for a rough real world comparison, I have been to 2 countries, 1 where animals are treated poorly and abused for no reason, and another where the animals are treated with at least some decency and respect because they're living creatures too. In the first country, the animals are terrified of any human who tries to approach or even just pass by, and will run away or try to attack because they feel the need to protect themselves due to being abused by the same species. In the second country, the animals will mostly flinch a little at best, but most won't flee or attack you out of the blue.

Just a thought to maybe consider how humans look like to those animals from their own perspective.

I'm not an animal activist, by the way. It was just the first thing that came to mind since I was surprised by how common animals like cats, dogs, birds, squirrels etc behaved when I was in those different countries. :)

Anyway, I believe this thread's about games that a person thinks are overrated, so hopefully it won't become another Undertale thread. :)  I apologize for contributing to the argument when each person is simply stating their own opinion.

Personally, I think every single popular game out there, whether AAA or indie, are going to be consider overrated by someone for various reasons. ;)

15. Bob7

Bob7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In regards to Undertale, I can see where they were trying to go with it. In fact, there are some very good ideas in there. But there are a few things that just kill the concept dead for me:

1. How are you killing these monsters? With Ballet Shoes and Words (or are you smacking them with a notepad?) I'm not really feeling an impact there. I mean, in Earthbound, you were smacking Hippies and dogs with baseball bats, yet they've come out of it OK (No really, you never actually kill anyone in Earthbound, and Undertale is purely inspired off of it.) I did the Genocide route (I actually did it first in all honesty, and I knew very little about the game) so I thought that would've had some impact, but after going through the Best Ending Route, I honestly don't think it did. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if you read it as a story of a child (don't get me started on the kid) conquering nightmare monsters (which is a common childhood thing), then it plays out a lot better.

I think the game is meant to be 'storybook' (you're killing off the strongest monsters by yelling abusive words at them), but as a player impact, I wasn't really feeling it. I mean, if I could kill a monster by telling it to DIE, then... I'm not using violence at all, am I, and even if I was, they're made out of paper.

2. The characters themselves. For the most part, they do pretty well, but... they are very disappointing. One of the characters, who is extremely well loved, has absolutely no role (well, a minor one later) after about 10 minutes. You never see them again, you are teased with an option to 'contact' the character, but aren't able to due to some proper crap. In fact, in terms of character interaction, you get like one event with them, and then it's off to the next one. What's that? You want to interact with your new friend? Too bad, be friends with this one! (In regards to that certain character, you don't even get an event as such. Nothing. That's the theme, you're done with them, nothing more to do here.) You're trying to sell me on the idea that I should see the person underneath, and for that, you need good characters... however, for a game that is as interactive as Undertale, this aspect really disappoints. There's also the monsters. I can see one point of view that the monsters have had a bad experience with you, and there is a feeling of trying to be 'above it all,' but again, it seems very harsh on the player no matter what they do. Game, I want to interact with them. Don't tell me I can't contact

3. The story and its context. It makes no sense at all. You already know about the grand old war, yet a single 8-10 year old child could commit genocide like its nothing. You've got Goatmum, which makes no sense for any 8-10 year old to call 'Mum' in the first place after about 5 mins with her, and actually not seeing her for half the time you're with her. The game tries to make you see her as your Goatmum, but I think it's clear she's the one struggling. The kid has zero reason for this. Then for those that choose to 'kill'em all,' there's something that makes even less sense when you get to the ending. It certainly confused me when I got there, and after learning about it... yeah, nah. Speaking of the kid, am I playing with an 8 year old, or an 18 year old? It's trying to make you feel that you're playing as a child, but... no.

For a short game, it did feel quite long, and not in a good way. There were parts that did drag on for different reasons. If I had to choose which route, I would say the Genocide route would be the better option, only because you really do feel like the role you're playing and it certainly seems more rewarding as such. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my world building exercises, but with the way the world is set up, I never felt like I missed anything big. The game was designed as a line, and it certainly treated everything like one. If you're trying to develop a connection with the world, you simply don't do that. The linear route seemed a lot more favourable to the Genocide Route.

It's a good game, certainly a lot of great ideas. I don't mind the graphics at all, in fact, I'd consider it a plus point. The music for the most part is pretty good, although the lack of looping leaves a lot to be desired. I played it when the hype was still very young, but I don't think the game will age well, since it is reliant on experience. The topic is about overrated games, and well, Undertale is Overrate, so to say. 

Susan, Hollow 1977 and AwesomeCool like this.
  16. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And if one of those animals tried to attack me would I be a bad person for defending myself? Also what countries are these? I honestly find it hard to beleive there's a country where I can move towards a squirrel that won't run away unless there's a history of people feeding the animals in the area, in which case, that's less people "treating the animals with respect" and more animals taking the easy route to get food.

Susan likes this.
  17. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @trouble time, I'll PM you to avoid derailing the thread further from my side, since the answer has nothing to do with games being overrated. :)

Hollow 1977, Dalph and Marsigne like this.
  18. stupid enough to like FF13

First Language:
    English

So...they're trying to kill you entirely because you're a human, but that's not racism. On top of that, let's extend that logic. All of the monsters that try to kill you should therefore be justification for you to kill all of them!

That's exactly the problem with Undertale. It has a strict, absolute morality that it holds the player against and scolds them if they should breach it for any reason...but it doesn't just not hold the people it wants you to think are good, sympathetic people to the same morals, it comes up with excuse after excuse why they don't have to abide by the game's morals.

After all, it's not enough to not just kill no one at all, but you have to make friends with them to get what the game clearly considers to be the best ending. Not wanting anything to do with people who tried to kill you without provocation is effectively a bad choice in the game.

19. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A battle system where you can negotiate vs kill just like persona. Sound interesting. Plus it is fantasy not real life and should be taken as such.  Too much racist this and racist that in this world. I would hope to get away from politics this being an rpgmaker forum. Let's all lighten up and realize it is only a game plus this is way off topic for overated games.

After all the conversation on it I might just download the demo and try it.

Back on topic. It would be easier to discuss underated titles.

Susan and Dalph like this.
  20. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    um hollow you do relize that games that try and teach messages about morality want those lessons to be used in real life..... and its nothing like persona.... trust me.....