Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's not real life, but a message is what people want to influence the gamer with, and what I critized then is the message, not the game itself. I critized the game itself when I said it was awful. Also I'll mention again that I don't think the message I critized is what the games message is.

Also the game isn't like Persona 1 or 2 at all. Those games were fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
    Susan likes this.
  2. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Plenty of games have bad messages if you look deep enough into them along with movies. It is up to the player to decide for themselves but no need to add racist this and racist that. It is just a game. Life is far too short to dwell on things like that here where we all work to create games and help each other out. Like one big family.

3. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Riiiight. Do you have proof to back that up? Because I'm sure the two artists, merrigo and temmie chang, who helped with the game didn't work for $50 each. I don't honestly care what any one person's opinion on the game is - but throwing around baseless accusations irks me. (Did you donate to the kickstarter? Is that why you're so salty about the kickstarter aspect of it?)

Anyway, I'm not so big on calling games I didn't care for overrated, but I will admit that I never understood the hype that was (and still is) Kingdom Hearts. Even seeing that game again more recently I remembered how much I disliked a lot of things about it. Kingdom Hearts 2 was better, but that first game... I shudder.

(The final fantasy games, minus FFTactics, are a close second but at least with those I can see the appeal that they have.)

Susan, Seacliff, Emmych and 2 others like this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

stats report on the undertale as of dec 23rd 2014, also according to the fans of undertale, the creator (toby fox) did all the artwork himself, and they use his own statements (havnt seen said statements where he claims this) as proof, and no i had nothing to do with the kickstarter... the thing that makes me mad is he cheated the public, and got away with it

as a developer seeing statistics like this on a poorly and lazy made game along with the kickstarter, after putting all the time and effort i put into my projects, grates on me specially considering that with the tools he supposedly use to make the game (which he already had from previous projects) and 50 gran he could of made a game that would be over 200000x better then what he gave us

heck with a mere $1200 (amount have put into the project so far including artwork that is not done yet but will pay on completion but not including money spent of food and hardware) i'm producing a 60 hour game with better graphics, machanics, story, characters, and non linear.... cant say much about music cuase i havnt been looking for music as of yet.... and i know my game is gonna be terrible.... but i do know its gonna be better then what toby fox released for 50 gran.... and as a rpg fan and a big fan of the mother series i was highly disappointed in the game and finding out what the cost he used on it was, and the fact he basicly ripped off the mother series made me even madder

the game it self is over rated, and bad, but thats my opinion

but i'm more pissed at the creator for cheating his fans, and the fans for not caring that they got cheated

Kyuukon likes this.
  5. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Clearly there is some merit to it to them then. I'm not gonna comment on everything else because I haven't played undertale yet though it's on my list of games to play but how can you claim that his fans were cheated when they don't seem to see it so. I don't understand all the vitriol towards kickstarters, I get that some people try to cheat others at times but he did make the game, and people like it. It's the business of those who donate to games like that to decide what is worthwhile to them, and by looking at his kickstarter page there were frequent updates and the people donating to him at the time seem to have all been on board with what he was doing, which has to mean he did somethings right, I mean kickstarters fail all the time too, this isn't uncharted territory anymore where people used to get away with putting google images up as screenshots and disappearing with other people's money. If your project is really better all around than undertale then make your own kickstarter, get 100,000 dollars in donations and don't cheat your fans and backers with that money.

Like it or not it's the people who bring the cashflow that decide whether a game is worth anything or not, you're free to hold your money back but it's hardly your place to speak for the 2000+ people who backed undertale's development when clearly they saw something of worth in what he was doing. Like Makio Kuta said above, it just seems like you are throwing around baseless accusations.

Makio-Kuta, Marsigne, Susan and 2 others like this.
  6. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That's not how kickstarter works, and there's actually no way to prove or disprove this, but I feel Undertale wouldn't have gotten the money it did if Fox didn't have a built in fanbase, now this is a baseless claim cause we don't live in that world, but those are my views.

7. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No wonder this thread turned into this lol. Undertale will be remembered by many as the most overrated game in history. Low budget, crappy story and one dimensional characters. Only good aspect was the music but that alone just won't cut it for all the hype it got.

I can see why developers (including me) hate it. It's a bit frustrating seeing these kind of games get this popular after all the work we put into ours. I guess that's marketing and tastes but still...

Basically, this. If you go against this (wrong) message they want to brainwash you with, the game tries to punish you by making you the bad guy and making you feel bad for it. I don't give two damns lol. Anyway, I quit my play-through after killing a few annoying frogs. Game was too boring and casual for me.

And please, don't compare this game to Persona or SMT because it's nothing like it. Not even close!

Sorry if I sound too cynical, but one of the reasons I started with RM (and thus registered here) was because I got tired of the current game industry. This only adds to my frustration. I know I could never make a game like this even if I tried to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  8. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Kyuukon - Don't let such thoughts get to you.

If a game comes out and gets more popular (despite it having tons of flaws and such), it does not make your game bad/worse or such.

It does not mean the popular game is better then yours (just that it got more exposure, marketing, etc).

As long as the people that find and try your game enjoy it, that is what matters.  Not the people who have or refuse to try it (especially refuse).

on-topic:  This Undertale argument is why I hate discussions about games that are overrated.  

It always becomes arguments about a popular game that people want to be unpopular and ends up with people getting into heated arguments over it (for there are people that like those popular games).

I would rather have underrated game be talked about (games that deserve more praise), then hate on popular games (out of disliking the game, feelings of jealousy, hate for the fanbase, etc).

If a game stops being popular, what does that really accomplish?  It does not make people like the games that you think deserve attention and people would just end up going to another game that will become popular (that will also become "overrated").  Plus, talking about underrated game might give a person an idea to try it (you know, make the games you want to get attention get attention).

All this discussion does is rile up negative emotions in people and cause arguments on whether a game is as good as the majority think it is.  

What benefit does a person receive for no longer liking a game they love as much?

9. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I Think a thread about underrated games could descend into arguments just as quickly though, for example if someone said FF13 was underrated it's almost reflex for people to critize the game, and then the person feels even worse cause they treid to talk about something they liked just to get immediately shot down. Granted, this is less a problem for me cause I don't mind debating about games I like or dislike.

The actual benifit of discussing overrated games is to offer a second opinion, especially if you're like me and feel cheated when people talk about qualites a game doesn't have then you go try it and you're just waiting for those qualities to show up. Kinda like when I had Puella Magi Madoka magica reccomended to me by a friend who said it was deep and psychological, well I watched it and it never goes beyond saying that people get sad when bad things happen to them, it's 6 hours I won't get back.

Seacliff likes this.
  10. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @trouble time: Madoka was good though xD!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    Dalph likes this.
  11. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the problem arises with the thought that:

Overrated = Bad

You can enjoy a game and think it's overrated. You can hate a game and think it's underrated. It's not about it being a bad game, so much as it is about you personally not understanding the hype it generates/thinking people give it more credit than is due. (Which is why arguments in a thread like this is really silly, because it's all personal opinion how much value you think a game has)

Clangeddin, bgillisp, Dalph and 4 others like this.
  12. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've not played Undertale, but I still have an issue with its fans, who insist how ORIGINAL its whole killing is bad is. Another game came out not too long ago that also had a "killing is bad" message and encouraged you not to kill people (Dishonored). To make it even more fun, Dishonored also gave you plenty of creative toys to straight up murder people to make it legit hard to NOT want to just springrazor and devouring rats everyone.

Dalph, Seacliff and Alexander Amnell like this.
  13. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Absolutely 100% agree. Many of the games I love are most definitely, somewhat overrated. I can say that while still knowing that many of these games are perfectly good by whatever metrics we're judging them by. I can also not care for games yet see clearly why they received their ratings. If people are walking in with the pretense that their life is about to change, or something equally ridiculous, many will become confused when they realize the game isn't quite like they expected.

Happens with restaurant reviews, too! Online chatter will work up the best pizza they've ever eaten, and by God. You think you're about to eat the best pizza. And what you're served is pizza that is only as good as all the other "best" pizza you've eaten.

14. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm exgagerating a bit, I didn't actually dislike Madoka I thought it was visually interesting, but honestly it's not a very deep or philosphical show, and I'm not gonna lie I'm surprised anyone was fooled into thinking it was a light hearted series to begin with.

Unrelated to that, I have another game I consider overrated, Street Fighter IV. This one is a game I actually enjoy playing, but I feel the game's characters feel a bit samey and the characters that are viable are jsut better versions of other character with slightly different moves visually with similar properties. Granted this is almost definitely cause I come from Guilty Gear which has a ton of character diversity. SFV looks better on this front, and although I don't like how it was censored I still want to play it, probably as Rashid since he has the same first name as me.

15. AwesomeCool

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Of course it could. Anything can turn into a fight.  (And people tend to hate on games they do not enjoy but others do for some reason)

But speaking about something negatively at the start is more likely to start up a fight (and quickly).

I understand the reasoning for trying to get people to see a game as overrated (to get them to try out games that could be considered better and that they can enjoy more).  But by using a approach that is inherently negative you are going to drive away people, instead of pull them into the discussion (I see this happen all the dang time).

Hence why it shouldn't be used.

Overrated can be used in very productive ways.  But it generally isn't (and very rarely is).

The problem is less about the word official definition itself and more about how it is used by people normally (overrated has become a word that describes a game that is bad and is loved way to much).

The official definition of a word becomes useless when people do not use the word in the way that the official definition states (people define the word, the word doesn't define itself).

example: Hot being used as a description of someones attractiveness instead of it's intend use

Marsigne likes this.
  16. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On the subject of good games that are overrated, I mean, Some games are so hyped that it is literally impossible for them NOT to be overrated. I think Final Fantasy VII is a good game, but there is no living up to the hype that it has. Same with Tactics (though tactics is one of my favorite games EVER). The fans who love it basically really really really love it. You'll hear all the time "the final fantasy series isn't so good, OH EXCEPT TACTICS" (I think @Makio-Kuta in fact, JUST did this), but it does have its flaws. And some of them are fairly glaring.

Any super hyped game is PROBABLY overrated.

On the other side.... Do we even have an underrated game thread?

AwesomeCool and Marsigne like this.
  17. AwesomeCool

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Touchfuzzy - yes.

It was made while this thread was on page 2 and received like 3 replies total (and then died).

Funny how people would rather talk about something they disagree with, then support something they do believe in.

Marsigne likes this.
  18. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I actually disagree on the first point, but that's cause I am personally equally inclined to debate since it's actually something I enjoy.

Also allow me to reiterate that the point isn't to make people see the game as overrated, it's to offer a second opinion, and negative opinions are just as valuble as positive ones. The point is just to voice your opinion, there's no reason to only let positive opinions out. 

AwesomeCool likes this.
  19. tearsofthenight

tearsofthenight Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Toy Story 2 on N64/PS1/PC/DC 

JK, that game needs more love!

Marsigne and AwesomeCool like this.
  20. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Touchfuzzy  I know we did at one point, though it might have been buried by now.

On thinking of games that are really good but overrated, the first that comes to mind (other than fallout 4, my previous post here) would have to be the souls series. Really fun games with my favorite multiplayer system ever, but at the same time it's a trainwreak of dev retrofitting and rebalance with fans that go so far as to proclaim it "the only hardcore game in a world full of super casuals."