Games you think are Overrated?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Dec 15, 2015.

1. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In my opinion Assassin's Creed is overrated, when it comes to the storytelling part. I love the graphics, I love the gameplay but after a short while. It's just boring to continue the game. On the other hand, I have a friend who can play it forever, so for him the game is obviously not overrated...

I anyway don't like the way we judge things today (was it ever different?). It makes people become live in constant fear that their opinion isn't the one that is accepted by the society. 

2. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IMPOH overrated = something that is rated as higher quality then it really is..... 

overhyped = something that is hyped up to be of much higher quality then it really is or to have things it does not have that when you play them and relize they are not anything like the hype a great disappointment sets in

personal opinion overrated games = undertale, persona IV, the souls series (seriously it was rated as the most challanging game series yet.... it was easy... i seen alot more challanging games...), zelda windwalker

over hyped games = undertale, FFVII, Zelda orcarina of time, call of duty series, zelda wind walker, skies of arcadia, WoW, Pandora, all mario games after super mario brothers, all sonic games after sonic adventure, star fox commandos

those are my opinoins.... 

Sailerius likes this.
  3. Hollow 1977

Hollow 1977 Rpg MV Game Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I do like Persona 4 and Persona 3. On the toughest difficulty they can be very challenging. But after going through it once and actually missing the final boss, it is hard to do again. It think it took me 100 hours for one playthough. Once you know the enemies weekness it can be very easy. Some said Shin Megami Tensei 4 was easy.

Final Fantasy 13 is cool but they only had 6 classes and apparently the summons are messed up. Sometimes I think they rush games too much. I still have not seen a final fantasy title better the FF6.

Overhyped : Agree with zelda games though I did like most of them but once they are finished it's done. I think Ocarina of time was my fave due to the story and events. Same with Mario Games. THe tv adds and trailers make you think the games are awesome which is why I usually don't pre-order.

Any opinions on the Devil Survivor titles? Those along with the Dragon Quest titles require grinding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
    Crimson Dragon Inc. likes this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    never heard of devil survivor... and the dragon quest series.... i love the series.... i do beleive it might be slightly over hyped.... but i was hoping it wasnt gonna be brought up... cuase i still havnt played IV and VI.... so i dont have a solid opinion on the series as a whole yet

5. Sky Usanin

Sky Usanin Wolfgirl Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I find it weird how I only saw this topic now.... *Ahem*, anyway...

I know many people have already said this, but I have to say it as well:

Undertale is EXTREMELY overrated. The gameplay gets really boring after a short while and it has this strict "Killing is bad" moral thing, which I really hate. The game forces you not to kill anyone and tolerate their hate for humans thing if you want to get a "decent" ending which is not even worth it. I'll tell you why so many people keep praising Undertale:

1. They REALLY think this Earthbound 2 thing is all original.
    2. Memes. The ridiculous amount of memes in that game is way too annoying and hard to tolerate.

Another game that I think it is overrated: Dark Souls II. Alright, NOW, I love Dark Souls and Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin to death. I am a huge fan of the Soul series, but the first version of Dark Souls II just wasn't worth it. Not challenging, slow gameplay and battle system, almost unknown story, etc. I loved Dark Souls I and the remaster of Dark Souls II, which is called Scholar of the First Sin, and I'm really looking forward to Dark Souls III, but I honestly think that the first version of Dark Souls II is really overrated, and I also think that FromSoftware's worst choice was selling Scholar of the First Sin instead of making it a regular update of the first Dark Souls II.

Other games that I find overrated/overhyped:

• The entire Five Nights at Freddy's series
    • Pom Gets WiFi (RPG Maker Game)
    • Any Call of Duty game
    • Did I mention Undertale? Oh yeah, I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  6. Chaneque

Chaneque Prince of Strange Things Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I bet I'll get slaughtered, but any of the Smash Bros games seem overrated. They just seem like they'd get boring super quickly.

7. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh yeah they got boring after the first couple matches..... dont know how people can get so immersed into them

Sailerius likes this.
  8. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's about mastery of mechanics and competition. If you're the type of person that likes mastering a games mechanics fighting games can be extremely rewarding, doubly so if you're competitive. Smash isn't one I even play anymore because I'm not as fond of it's mechanics, but it's still got that element. It's not about immersion it's about mastery.

Granted if you're not the type of person who strives for mastery then you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Seacliff likes this.
  9. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

except what is "mastery" when it comes to games? learning all the intricit move sets? mastering maps? knowing how to use rewards? all of the above?

most of the players of smash i know.... dont master the game they just spam cheap tactics and enjoy using the cheap tactics to win, which is why i dont under stand why people love it so much...... its the same with those FPS players that can only play using "trick shots" and rage quit when someone plays the game the way it was meant to be played

10. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    "Cheap tactics" are generally short hand for "things that are easy to do but more difficult to deal with" and you can get past those pretty easily, it's jsut a skill gate. Mastery when it coems to fighting games is always using the right move for the right situation and knowing the proper combo for the situation combined with how to read an opponent's patterns and a myriad of other things.

AwesomeCool and Seacliff like this.
  11. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

by cheap tactic i mean using a move that cant be blocked/dodged, deals moderate to massive damage, and juggles the opponent in a way that prevents them from doing anything and then doing only that move in a match

12. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah if they're only using one move I have no idea how you're losing, it's super easy to deal with such a one dimensional tactic.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  13. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
     odviously your not reading the whole thing

i specificly stated that the move is unavoidable/unguardable, and juggles you to where you cant respond with your own actions and deals moderate to massive damage.....and being the only moved used....so you cant respond to it due to being juggled by it the whole time, and it deals enough damage that your done in only 3-7 hits of said move 

14. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There are no moves that are unavoidable or undodgeable though. That's why I have no idea how you're losing. 

AwesomeCool likes this.
  15. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
     actually there are several characters among the 10 most popular fighting games (including smash) with unavoidable moves..... if the computer uses it they are easy to deal with just stay out of range, but player vs player these moves are combo stoppers, the moment you go into the attack they use it and boom game over (since it cant be stopped by your attack) i mean unless you use a character who uses cheap ranged moves (which the other player will generally rage quit cuase they cant use thier move cuase you know they do it and are staying at range and your immediately called a cheater by them) you will lose the match... though the developers have been good at revamping these as the newer games come out.... they are still present (heact i remember in one game a giant purple crystal guy who's entire move set is unblockable and unavoidable and can drop you in only two attacks)

also undodgeable and unavoidable are the same thing......

noteable characters that had these type moves in smash that were "dumbed" down in later installments after the character's initial release

ike

pikachu

ness

mega bowser

master hand

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  16. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Meant to write unguardable, oops, also yeah you're showing exaclty what I was thinking. You don't know how to properly space or bait moves and you think fighting at a range is cheap, this is a really common thing for new players and if you don't learn how to deal with this then you'll never be able to win at all.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  17. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i actually have a record of 127-28, all 28 were to ike and pickachu..... while playing the same ike ad refusing to use the super move..... i just happned to like ike cuase i love fire emblem path of radiance

it odvious you think oh he must be a new player if he thinks blah blah is cheap blah blah

i find ranged combantents to be cheap in a fighting contest wether real or video game

properly space or bait moves.... baiting the move doesnt work, as stated if your with in range the attack is guarentted to land, and spacing is negated if you use a melee move due to being forced into the attacks range 

saying someone is a new player is becuase they call moves like that cheap is basicly defending the moves use and aludes to me you use these tactics.... same unavoidable/unblockable move over and over til victory, becuase that is their defense for using the move

18. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aha, but I don't play the new smash cause I don't have the console. and yeah, 128 wins would still be new considering the first thing you generally tell a new player to do is play a few hundred games or even a few thousand, and I said new cause I really didn't want to say bad, and now you're making me say it. It takes a lot more time than you'd think to get good at fighting games, and everything you've said led me to beleive you were bad or new, and judging that your total number of games doesn't come up to even 200 I'd say new.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  19. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
      not total number of games, total number of PVP matchs....  now your trying to grab at air, and thats not new smash... i havent played the new smash games... i'm still on the one where they first released ike (third or 4th installment i believe dont qoute me on that could be the second....) i seen videos of what ness can due, but i refuse to buy another smash game until they stop teasing with renamon's and guilmon's release as playable and give them to us

20. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm actually not, have you ever been in the competitive scene? The first advice you'll get is to paly a few hundred games and expect to lose most of them, and playing against the computer doesn't really count towards expirence since it's totally different from playing real people, but I digress we're getting off topic. I'm imaging you're talking about brawl since you mentioned super moves and I assume that's the final smash which were introduced there and the only one after that is the 4th and newest one. It's also the one with the worst mechanics and one of the biggest gamebreakers in Meta Knight.

AwesomeCool likes this.