Games you think are underrated

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Venthros, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here another one: Worms xD I think it's a good underrated strategy game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
    Reapergurl and kaukusaki like this.
  2. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rune Factory is amazing! It has all the classic Harvest Moon elements (dating, cooking, farming, fishing, ect.) with plot, more interesting characters, and action RPG style fighting with a pretty balanced leveling system and even has monster taming, who you can then add to your party and will fight for you! It's so much fun!

The first ever RPG I played was Opoona for the Wii. It is soo cute and charming! A very good beginner RPG if you have little siblings or cousins who are wanting to get into the genre. But heck, it's fun for experienced players, too. 

Both are super underrated and I don't often hear people talking about them T0T

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
    kaukusaki and AwesomeCool like this.
  3. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @terrorchan - Please do not remind me of Rune Factory.  The company that makes them went under after Rune Factory 4. D:

4. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know its so sad 

AwesomeCool likes this.
  5. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One example I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic 2. This was the first game I ever played on a computer, back in 1996. This game has a unique soundtrack, in that certain songs feature German opera singing! The gameplay is addicting, and I even have a personal connection to at least two of the original developers who made Heroes 2:

IamGilgamesh and kaukusaki like this.
  6. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins for Gamecube.

The Last Story for Wii.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for PS3/360/PC.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  7. Talotta91

Talotta91 Veteran Veteran

Suikdoen for sure, that whole series was a JRPG master piece but seems so unknown to most people :(

Reapergurl and Ejronin like this.
  8. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure why I've not seen this thread earlier. Played so many games that either get overlooked or get crap from critics, and I think they deserve some recognition.

Arcen Games (Bionic Dues, The Last Federation) - They are one of the few indie devs that do something new and different in each new game of theirs, taking risks, and innovating. Most of their games are very tactical, not all that pretty graphically, and have a bit of a learning curve though, which probably puts many people off. But those people don't know what they're missing.

Project Temporality - Honestly don't know why this game isn't any more popular. It has nice visuals and very intriguing puzzles that involve time-manipulation.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - An adventure platformer in the style of Devil May Cry and God of War, except, you know, a lot less frustrating, and a lot more funny because it doesn't try to take itself too seriously.

Spiders Games (Of Orcs and Men, Mars: War Logs, etc) - These games really deserve more attention. Sure, they're not the same standard as AAA games, and some aspects of them seem rushed, but they deserve a lot more love than they're currently getting.

Betrayer - A fun semi-open world stealth fantasy-themed FPS where each enemy is a real threat. It might not look like the best thing out there graphically, but its gameplay makes up for it.

Alexander Amnell and AwesomeCool like this.
  9. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Etherlords. It plays either like Heroes of Might & Magic (I) or King's Bounty (II), with the combat system being a card battling system akin to Magic the Gathering (in how creature combat and abilities work) and Hearthstone (the ether curve and card availability being more similar to that). It was an amazing series that unfortunately got pushed into a weak mobile port and was discarded in favor of Heroes of Might & Magic...

AwesomeCool likes this.
  10. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    From the Final Fantasy series: V. It's not as popular as many and generally overshadowed by IV and VI, but I've found it to be one of the most purely enjoyable.

Reapergurl and IamGilgamesh like this.
  11. ryanfrogger

ryanfrogger Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Entire Pikmin Franchise. Seriously, how many of you have played a Pikmin game? They're amazing and truly underrated.

Reapergurl and DarkBooDev like this.
  12. Ejronin

Ejronin Grand Eater of Bacon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Vagrant Story

Parasite Eve

Alundra

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Skies of Arcadia (my Dream Cast and GC had this in there like it was the only thing I owned)

7th Guest

Legacy of Kain

Tales of Phantasia

Valkyria Chronicles

Castlevania SOTN

Grim Fandango

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (A bit gamey, but...really fun)

Earthbound

Beyond Good & Evil

Shenmue

Heavy Rain (one of the most emotionally driven stroeis I've ever seen, amazing work from Quantic Dream)

Wing Commander

Homeworld

Resonance of Fate (tear inducing how few people knew of this gem)

Ni No Kuni

White Knight Chronicles 1&2

and though many of these became cult classics, in their time they were cast off and mostly commercial failures, sadly.

But the problem with canon lists is that they're canon lists.

amirite?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
  13. Ejronin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, you're not alone.

It was a beautifully crafted game with sincere and heartfelt development. The developers paid very close attention to cinematic flow and gave focus to an approachable story that drew empathy. On the other hand, it was exactly what I expected to see from Level 5 and Studio Ghibli working together on this project. Neither studio rushes their work and it isn't well suited for an impatient gamer or gamer that wants to just skip the story. The passion for the project was ridiculously overwhelming and it is an achievement unto itself within the genre. Are there other amazing JRPGs? Yes, I love Disgaea, but Ni No Kuni doesn't fit squarely in to a single subgenre of RPG and thus is sort of by itself. 

I sold my PS3.... didn't sell Ni No Kuni or the beautifully designed SG. Same with The Witcher. 

Reapergurl and AwesomeCool like this.
  14. Clangeddin

Clangeddin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Vandal Hearts 2

15. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

I am so glad that this game is now getting much more attention.  People literally just ignored it for the art style when it first released.

More games:

999 and Virtues Last Reward -  good visual novels that deserve more attention

Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons and Rune Factory games - They tend to not even be talked about and hated on for not being like other games (hulk smash and destroy everything to save the world vs live a peaceful life with your waifu).  Hopefully with Stardew Valley's success these games will get more attention.

Shin Megami Tensei - A really dark abd good tun-based series that is overshadowed by the lighthearted spin-off persona games.

Might & Magic 10 - A really good game in a genre that nobody wants to touch anymore (cuz we all hate turn-based, am I right?)

Ejronin likes this.
  16. Ejronin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1.) I used to beat people in the face with it. Literally there was a time when if you didn't know anything about this game< i'd make you play it. 

2.) Shin Megami Tensi - amazing series, but I also equate it to the Persona Series, which is and isn't underrated, IMO. People in the know, KNOW but those who don't are like "!?!" and cant follow it through the complexity. I usually hear something along the line of, All teh talks hurtz thur brane, werd with moar then 1 syllable, no shootie shootie, hulk angry

Still, Shin Megami - pulled like a sir!

17. Tu-Face

Tu-Face Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think SMT Strange Journey is pretty underrated. I really enjoyed the setting and the overall environment of the game. Demon customization is always fun too BD . I can see why the difficulty and dungeon crawling might turn some people off though.

18. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Legend of Mana.

It's a beautiful game, with a great soundtrack, an incredibly complex crafting system (which was actually not needed at all) and a interesting but very unconventional story telling. It's a shame that many people are turned off because it was too different to the early Mana games.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
    Dalph likes this.
  19. cl4ptr4p

cl4ptr4p relaxed af Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Brigandine. I think no one ever speaks of this very nostalgic game :(

Frogboy likes this.
  20. GotMop

GotMop Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    For me a good underrated game would have to be, "Deadly Premonition". Turn the lights out and crank up the volume, I promise this game can get you sucked in. My wife and I played it for hours, despite it's poor critic review. 

[​IMG]

Reapergurl and consolcwby like this.