gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's been released, you can find it here

I'm working on a custom quest system and wanted to report progress here. I want to add some nice features to it, but keep it simple at the same time. These are things that I have planned so far and wanted to get some insight and some suggestions from the community as I create the plugin.

Planned Features

• Quest Editor - An entire program to edit quests
  • Auto Rewards - Toggleable option, upon completion, will automatically give your party all listed rewards
  • Steps - Allows you to define steps for a quest and also allows you to keep progress on a step via a variable (all optional by the way)
  • Layout - I want to be able to allow a customizable layout so everyone can have a different look
  • Categories and Sub-categories - Main categories would include In Progress, Completed, and Failed. Sub categories could be anything you want, including Story Quests, Region Quests, Crafting Quests etc.... This will be optional and have a tabbed layout option more than likely
EditorUpdate

Editor is pretty much done, everything is done for me to move on with the plugin anyways. If anyone wants to test it out and lemme know if they find any bugs, here you go.

I want to create an actual editor that makes creating/editing quests super easy. The editor will be ran from your project directory and will load everything from the database making it easier to set icons and rewards. But you will still have the option to edit by hand if desired. I'll keep this area posted with screenshots of the editor.

Final Editor Layout

35d3EeD18.png
Here's a rough mockup. Layout may change. Feels a bit crowded in my opinion but should do the job in the end.

1Ugm13I.png
Reward Editor Preview

example2.gif
More

048zonW3.png
Rewards

The way I plan on doing rewards is something like this.

'rewards': [ // ['item type', item id, item amount] // item type can be item, weapon, armor, xp or gold. If gold or xp, item id is the amount // item type can also be custom and item id would be the text to show for it // add a true at the end if you want to hide the reward ['custom', 'Kiss from Mrs. Buttersworth', true], // Custom reward, true is appended to it to make it show up as '?????' under Rewards ['item', 1, 5, true], // this will also be hidden ['gold', 100], // Will be visible ['xp', 100], // Will be visible ],This allows you to list as many rewards as you want, with the option to have custom rewards or even hide them. When Auto Rewards is on, it will obviously skip "custom" rewards.Steps

Steps will also be customizable. You can either just list some text or you can make it track progress via a variable. Something like this.

'steps': [ // ['Step description', show progress, [progress variable, max variable]] ['Collect all 5 cats.', true, 1, 5], // Append true at the end to make it show a percentage instead of X / Y ['Talk to Mrs. Buttersworth.', false], ],Looking at the first step, the second argument tells the quest system to track progress. Third argument is a 1, the progress will be tracked via Variable 1. The fourth argument is the max number so it can show something like "1 / 5". You can add a 5th argument "true" at the end to show a percentage instead. "20%".This is pretty much all I have planned so far. Once I get a majority of the system done, I'll start showing it off and start on the editor. If anyone has any suggestions or insight, or even things they'd like to see in a quest system let me know. A layout suggestion would be awesome (I'm terrible when it comes to this stuff.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Very cool. Looking forward how this develops overtime.

fm2107

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
must have quest system!!!

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Glad you guys are looking forward to it! Made some more progress on the editor. It now loads all Item, Weapon, and Armor data and shows it in the Reward editor.

example2.gif

MuteDay

Mutation Engine
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Glad you guys are looking forward to it! Made some more progress on the editor. It now loads all Item, Weapon, and Armor data and shows it in the Reward editor.

example2.gif
looking awsome btw what language are you writing the editor in?

Evgenij

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think he is using visual studios gui builder.

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
looking awsome btw what language are you writing the editor in?

I think he is using visual studios gui builder.
Yup. Using Visual Studio 2010 and programming everything in C#. Editor should be done by the end of tomorrow then I'll finish the actual quest plugin.

EDIT: Some more progress on the editor.

Gameus_Quest_Editor_2015-10-26_02-56-43.png

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
looks sweet tbh. I love @snowcrack's work but I might have to compromise. I love the idea with diff type of quests. My game is going have a lot of crafting. Never thought of crafting or gathering quests.

Sn0wCrack

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
英語
looks sweet tbh. I love @snowcrack's work but I might have to compromise. I love the idea with diff type of quests. My game is going have a lot of crafting. Never thought of crafting or gathering quests.
Perhaps me and gamusguyus could team up :p

Personally I didn't even think of the possibility of an external editor, that's a fantastic idea by the way.

Just as a question, how much of the actual script has been made? I've got pretty much everything but some GUI work to do.

EDIT: The GUI so far if you're interested

I0MQ7bu.gif

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Perhaps me and gamusguyus could team up :p

Personally I didn't even think of the possibility of an external editor, that's a fantastic idea by the way.

Just as a question, how much of the actual script has been made? I've got pretty much everything but some GUI work to do.
That would be really cool tbh. I don't know gamus experiences but if he was more into making external editors and another like yourself did most the in game stuff it could be an amazing duo!

I love json though the possibilities are insane now. Even to make all the events etc outside the game are possible.

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've barely started the plugin itself. xD Realized it'd probably be smart to do the editor first so I have some actual data to work with when I go start the plugin.

Sn0wCrack

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
英語
I've barely started the plugin itself. xD Realized it'd probably be smart to do the editor first so I have some actual data to work with when I go start the plugin.
That's fairly understandable, if you would like you can piggy back on my project.

I've got the GUI 90% done thus far (as well as all the backend, which I can just simply modify to suit this quest editors JSON style), only need to display the quest information now.

I'm just going to leave this here: https://github.com/Sn0wCrack/SnowMV/blob/master/SnowQuest/SnowQuest.js

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I love how because now all the data is just a json file, people can make a gui in their fav language to configure their plugins easily.

Good job, keep it up!

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I love how because now all the data is just a json file, people can make a gui in their fav language to configure their plugins easily.

Good job, keep it up!
We could even make a quick generic JSON editor that creates inputs based on a schema. It would make things easier for people who wants to make a plugin with json params.

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Loving all the feedback. Glad you guys are looking forward to this!

That's fairly understandable, if you would like you can piggy back on my project.

I've got the GUI 90% done thus far (as well as all the backend, which I can just simply modify to suit this quest editors JSON style), only need to display the quest information now.

I'm just going to leave this here: https://github.com/Sn0wCrack/SnowMV/blob/master/SnowQuest/SnowQuest.js
I'll keep your script in mind. Just because I want the experience I'm probably still going to attempt my own plugin. But I'll definitely pass the editor to you when it's done and you can see how the JSON is exported if you do want to make adaptations. There are some features I want to implement and even plan on letting people use a custom layout.

Also, added categories!

Gameus_Quest_Editor_2015-10-26_10-09-14.png

MrDaisy

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
i like this... will make life easier when we create quests... how can i use this ?! thx

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
As soon as the editor and plugin are done. I'll keep posting progress here. Hope to have it done within a couple of days. Editor is making really nice progress.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well good luck with your progress. 

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Editor is almost done! I've pretty much tidied the main interface. I just need to finish the Step editor and icon selector.

048zonW3.png

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Editor is almost done! I've pretty much tidied the main interface. I just need to finish the Step editor and icon selector.

048zonW3.png
Please make an icon for it too when you do compile it lol. I so hate the vs icon :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Some people have too strong of an opinion about what maker is the best, I've seen discussions like:
- I prefer VXAce because I like the style of the RTP better than the older releases
- You're worse than Hitler
My number one take away from this game jam is to make small games that are as polished and bug free as possible. Far less dev time, and if the game flops, it matters less because my time investment is much lower. Also, whatever ambitions I have... aim for about 10% of them. They are clearly too high, and will involve stuff that likely won't matter.
I'm finally back! :kaojoy:
A lot of RL issues happened this year which didn't let me work on Aithne as much, but I am back with new inspiration!
In that time my art style also changed a little, so I'll be doing a small art change with busts/menu art
Ops forgot to fix the hand on the weaponless sprite o_O
opening old GIMP files is a blessing and a curse because it can be fun to look at art you started once upon a time and want to finish BUT come to a total halt when you remember your past self forgot to create separate layers for most files

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayJHatchet