Gameus' Quest System

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Fantastic script! But going the extra mile and making an editor to make our lives infinitely easier? Hats off to you Gameus!  B)  I only have a few issues with it so far and a couple of suggestions. I'd like to be able to set the font type and size for each section in the parameters because it seems that the plugin makes the font go wild sometimes or the font size is too big and it looks off compared to other text.

I think some word wrapping instead of stretching along with the font options would make it look much better and avoid text malformations. With wrapping you'd basically avoid the squeezing of words and the need to edit font sizes, quest descriptions and steps to make it look okay.

And finally, you can add 3-4 categories on top similar to how Modern Algebra had it:

• "All Quests" which shows all undertaken quests, failed, completed and anything in-between
  • "Active Quests" which shows the in-progress quests
  • "Completed Quests" lists the completed quests
  • "Failed Quests" lists the failed quests
You can have the window space on top be divided equally into whatever number of categories you have and be represented by the 32x32 icons of the user's choice. Below the icons will be the name of the category. For an extra touch, you can set the opacity to around 50%+ for the non active categories to let the user know more easily on which list they are without guessing or reading the text. Here's a screenshot from an old project that used Modern Algebra's VXA script:

Screech1989

King Pin!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey gameusguyus so im loving everything about this and its so easy to use :D credit to you for that

i was having a play around, i know nothing of coding tbh im learning but very slowly, so instead i made an image on paint to show how i think it could look a little bit smoother etc, its just an idea and i dont know how hard it would be for you to adjust it like so but thought i would put it forward thats all, where it says 50 to the left of it i would have the gold icon then.

Last edited by a moderator:

kennysaurs

Amazing Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can I just say, this is so damn amazing.

I am gonna test this out as soon as I get home. You won the internets.

exnem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I attached an image of what I mean, using Modern Algebra's quest log as an example, just something that makes everything look a bit more appealing. Also as Vegnarus mentioned, having the option to change fonts (maybe colors too) would make it that much better. Your script is already awesome enough as it is, this is all just eyecandy.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
To add to what exnem said, I think the little borders are pseudo-lines which are actually rectangles with 1-2 pixels height or width depending on whether they're vertical or horizontal. And the ending or starting point of the lines takes into account the X coordinate of the text by adding or subtracting a few pixels from it. Like this:

---------- Description ----------

The line ends a few pixels back from where the text starts and a new line starts again a few pixels after the text.

And the position after the text would be:

[Position X of Text + Width + Icon Width which is 32 (if you want to add icons here) + Padding]

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I was about to make my own quest system but this looks too good to pass up

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Alrighty, lots of replies here. xD

Just wanna say thank you for the hard work. Wish there was some way I could repay you for such awesome plugin. Do you have your own web site set up for donations or anything like that? If not, it's something to think about. Thanks again!

I might set something up. I do have a website and it's usually been just for storage. But I might turn it into an actual blog, we'll see. I appreciate the thought though. :)

Possibly a dumb question ...will I be able to change the window/background into something else?

Or will I need a additional plugin to change the borders etc.

Quite sure I saw one to change all Window styles somewhere

I'm pretty sure that's just your windowskin you change. If you go into your 'img\system' folder you'll see your windowskin.

Can you add a black-ish background behind the title, steps and rewards of the quest in the quest description please ?

It's for more clarity and an option to disable window skin in case someple want to put a picture instead :)
I already plan to add it so you can use pictures instead of windows, it's in the Planned Features list in the first post.

I'd like to be able to set the font type and size for each section in the parameters because it seems that the plugin makes the font go wild sometimes or the font size is too big and it looks off compared to other text.

I think some word wrapping instead of stretching along with the font options would make it look much better and avoid text malformations. With wrapping you'd basically avoid the squeezing of words and the need to edit font sizes, quest descriptions and steps to make it look okay.

And finally, you can add 3-4 categories on top similar to how Modern Algebra had it:

• "All Quests" which shows all undertaken quests, failed, completed and anything in-between
  • "Active Quests" which shows the in-progress quests
  • "Completed Quests" lists the completed quests
  • "Failed Quests" lists the failed quests
You can have the window space on top be divided equally into whatever number of categories you have and be represented by the 32x32 icons of the user's choice. Below the icons will be the name of the category. For an extra touch, you can set the opacity to around 50%+ for the non active categories to let the user know more easily on which list they are without guessing or reading the text. Here's a screenshot from an old project that used Modern Algebra's VXA script:

I'll add the changing of the font to the Planned Features. I dunno what you mean by text malformations, I already do have word wrapping implemented. The only thing being cut off is if your quest name is too long in the quest list window. And I also do have "main" categories implemented like All, In-Progress, Failed, Completed. I just don't have icons for them. If you press 'Left' and 'Right' in the quest log you can change the filter.

In a future update, I plan on adding more color, font, and icon options.

Hey gameusguyus so im loving everything about this and its so easy to use :D credit to you for that

i was having a play around, i know nothing of coding tbh im learning but very slowly, so instead i made an image on paint to show how i think it could look a little bit smoother etc, its just an idea and i dont know how hard it would be for you to adjust it like so but thought i would put it forward thats all, where it says 50 to the left of it i would have the gold icon then.

I see what you mean now, and that's why the lines were there to separate all the information. I'll see.

I attached an image of what I mean, using Modern Algebra's quest log as an example, just something that makes everything look a bit more appealing. Also as Vegnarus mentioned, having the option to change fonts (maybe colors too) would make it that much better. Your script is already awesome enough as it is, this is all just eyecandy.

So it seems everyone keeps referring to MA's Quest System. And while it's an awesome quest system, I don't want to make mine mimic his feature for feature, look for look. I can already tell my layout is pretty much the exact same as his (which was unintentional by the way).

My goal with this was to make it a simple quest system with plenty of customization options. So I'll be adding some features to it like:

-Font options

-Color options

-More icon options

-Pictures instead of windows

-A little bit more control over window sizes

The one thing I don't want to do is blatantly copy someone else's idea in order to make my script look good. If you are wanting the look from MA's quest system, I would want permission from him first before I borrow any features/looks to implement into mine. I'm glad everyone loves the script and is throwing out all of these suggestions, I really do appreciate it, but I wouldn't feel right copying a layout I didn't do.

exnem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
My goal with this was to make it a simple quest system with plenty of customization options. So I'll be adding some features to it like:-Font options

-Color options

-More icon options

-Pictures instead of windows

-A little bit more control over window sizes
 I think that would be more than enough. It would allow us to add the eyecandy we need without you having to make it look like MA's script. I just mentioned it as an example seeing as it was one of the most popular ones in ACE, I do like your's better though and the addition of the editor is just something you can't top. It was kind of a pain to have to do all the entries by hand so it's really a life saver.

Thanks again for your script and time, and your patience to hear all our suggestions.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with exnem's notion even though implementing some details from MA's script isn't that bad. But I get why you don't feel okay with putting everything in. Yours is already pretty damn awesome and the editor is extremely helpful.

As for the text problems, I meant that the text gets squeezed in the first few lines and then it's okay (and bigger) in the last. That's why I thought that word-wrapping was missing. After some extensive testing I found out that the problem is that the plugin goes nuts with font sizes equal to or below 22. That's why it was acting weird. No clue as to why though.

Here's what it looks like with font size 22:

So yeah, a little odd but if it can't be fixed I'll just set the Quest System font size to 23+ once you add that feature in.

Nickel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hey gameusguyus,

first i have to say thanks for this awesome Quest System.

It would be really cool if you could add a function which shows what kind of rewards you got when you have completed the quest. It could be shown as a popup or message for example like.

------------------------------------------

Quest completed!                       

​You got:                                      

-  Kiss from ​Mrs. Butters
- ​ 5x Poitions
-  100 G
-  100​ EXP

----------------------------------------

Do you think that you can insert this function?

danielvutran

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English! xD
Primarily Uses
Holy SHBOOPY!!!! You are a freakin godsend!!! 

Screech1989

King Pin!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey gameusguyus,

It would be really cool if you could add a function which shows what kind of rewards you got when you have completed the quest. It could be shown as a popup or message for example like.

Quest completed!                       

​You got:                                      -  Kiss from ​Mrs. Butters

- ​ 5x Poitions

-  100 G

-  100​ EXP

I just made mine manually its not really a problem but yea it would be cool if it was automatic etc,

mistertuno

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
I like this very much and would like to thank you but I don't really get this to work.

I have placed the editor in my game folder and the .js data in the plugins folder.

The editor starts, I can enable the plugin, I also configured the mainmenumanager from Yanfly but the quest tab doesn't show .. =/

Screech1989

King Pin!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I agree with exnem's notion even though implementing some details from MA's script isn't that bad. But I get why you don't feel okay with putting everything in. Yours is already pretty damn awesome and the editor is extremely helpful.

As for the text problems, I meant that the text gets squeezed in the first few lines and then it's okay (and bigger) in the last. That's why I thought that word-wrapping was missing. After some extensive testing I found out that the problem is that the plugin goes nuts with font sizes equal to or below 22. That's why it was acting weird. No clue as to why though.

So yeah, a little odd but if it can't be fixed I'll just set the Quest System font size to 23+ once you add that feature in.
Can i ask how you added the potion icon in and changed the text size down? i love it :D

ssunlimited

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys. I am trying to download the editor file that is in the first page in order to create this system but the winrar keeps giving me an error after I try to open or extract it:" !   C:\Users\Owner\Documents\rpg maker mv things\rm mv games\Stripped smaller Furrious Conquest project\GameusQuestEditor.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

What should I do?

Screech1989

King Pin!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
hey Gameus, so iv spent a day or so now editing the hell out of quests and getting a good list of quests up and running and they are working fantastic, then after my first initial cut sceen and game play of silly little quests at the start of my game i get to the first part where i have a battle, my battle system is completly broke? i disabled the plugin and it works fine, so im confused, here is a screen shot of what i see when i try and test it in game and through the troops battle test, any thoughts?

If i start a battle in my game i get this :

If i use the troops battle test i get this:
Im guessing they are both linked?

EDIT: OK so i went and took a wild guess, i copied my Quests.json file and then renamed the copied version to Test_Quests.json and pasted it into the Data folder, all seems to be working now, so im thinking the battle system is looking for the file Test_Quests.json where as the main quests plugin uses the Quests.json file? thats odd.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Can i ask how you added the potion icon in and changed the text size down? i love it :D
Sure! The bigger resolution, font type and smaller size are from Yanfly's Core Engine which can be found here: http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/09/yep-1-core-engine/

And the potion is also from Yanfly's converted iconset which can be found here: http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/23/freebies-mv-ready-ace-icons/

Hey guys. I am trying to download the editor file that is in the first page in order to create this system but the winrar keeps giving me an error after I try to open or extract it:" !   C:\Users\Owner\Documents\rpg maker mv things\rm mv games\Stripped smaller Furrious Conquest project\GameusQuestEditor.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

What should I do?
Try re-downloading the demo or the standalone program and extract again. If the problem still persists, go into the archive, then click Tools >> Repair Archive. After that attempt to extract again.

Ultra_K

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
EDIT: OK so i went and took a wild guess, i copied my Quests.json file and then renamed the copied version to Test_Quests.json and pasted it into the Data folder, all seems to be working now, so im thinking the battle system is looking for the file Test_Quests.json where as the main quests plugin uses the Quests.json file? thats odd.
Yep, it seems that's the cause of the problem! I had it as well. I suppose gameusguyus can fix it then!

Screech1989

King Pin!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yep, it seems that's the cause of the problem! I had it as well. I suppose gameusguyus can fix it then!
Question? are you using the Yanfly Battle Engine Core? as well? as i noticed if i remove that it also worked, as soon as i added that back on it began to play up again...but then i noticed i was .2 versions behind on the Battle core updates so i updated to the latest version (1.11) and all works perfect now :D

gameusguyus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you guys so much! <3 It's really nice coming home from work and seeing all these replies.

I think that would be more than enough. It would allow us to add the eyecandy we need without you having to make it look like MA's script. I just mentioned it as an example seeing as it was one of the most popular ones in ACE, I do like your's better though and the addition of the editor is just something you can't top. It was kind of a pain to have to do all the entries by hand so it's really a life saver.

Thanks again for your script and time, and your patience to hear all our suggestions.

I see what you mean now. It's probably due to the fact that there is no custom font size and it's probably getting reset somewhere (which is odd because I don't remember setting the font size period)

Hey gameusguyus,

Quest completed!                       

​You got:                                      

-  Kiss from ​Mrs. Butters

- ​ 5x Poitions

-  100 G

-  100​ EXP

A notification system was planned at some point but ended up not implementing it. I'll add it to the Planned Features but no promises.

What should I do?

I have re-uploaded it just in case.

hey Gameus, so iv spent a day or so now editing the hell out of quests and getting a good list of quests up and running and they are working fantastic, then after my first initial cut sceen and game play of silly little quests at the start of my game i get to the first part where i have a battle, my battle system is completly broke? i disabled the plugin and it works fine, so im confused, here is a screen shot of what i see when i try and test it in game and through the troops battle test, any thoughts?

If i start a battle in my game i get this :

If i use the troops battle test i get this:

Im guessing they are both linked?

I think it has to do with Yanfly's Core script. I have it in the Quest Demo and when I disable it I can test battles just fine. I have no idea why it's trying to load Test_Quests at all. I'm gonna update all the Yanfly scripts and see if it works. I'll still try to look into it and see if it's something I can fix on my side. If anything, I can make the editor make a "Test_Quests.json" file. It's not a huge deal.

EDIT: If anyone gets any errors, it would really help if you posted a screenshot of the Console (F8) as well. It will help me find errors a lot easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Testing out applying a stroke effect to things at player level to increase visibility. Thoughts?

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPhantom