AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently developed ongoing Tinnitus and am curious if anyone else suffers from it?

I know it's pretty common in the gaming community. We sit with headphones on a lot, gaming, with the volume cranked up. That's what caused mine. I learned to turn the volume down when listening to music and playing video games. I figured I'd share this to see if I can help anyone else, or just start a discussion around it.

For those that don't know what Tinnitus is... it's that ringing, clicking, humming (differs per person) you get in your ears. For most people, it eventually goes away. However; there are some cases where it doesn't... and you have to live with the constant ringing 24/7. There's, unfortunately, no cure right now (some medications being tested, etc), and all you can do is learn to live with it, do some noise therapy, and possibly counseling (if it's unbearably bad).

If you have it... how do you deal with yours? Figured this was a good discussion to have.

If you don't have it... I'm telling you. Turn your sound down for music and games. While this isn't always the cause (medication, wax build-up, aging, neck/jaw problems can be)... loud sounds and audio are the #1 cause.

Also... I've learned to live with mine, so if you suffer from it, feel free to message me or post here :)

MoonBunny

:^)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Had it for as long as I can remember, including my childhood. It doesn't get in my way, but I'd obviously prefer to live without it.
To those who have it, and it's permanent, you could try out this site and try matching the tone it generates to the frequency your Tinnitus is at. It can help with treating your hearing and, if nothing else, drown out the sound of your own Tinnitus to give some relief.
Just be cautious with it, you don't want to use it improperly and damage your hearing further.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, so you've had yours for a while. I've had mine for about 4 months now. Starting to do better with it. Noise therapy is the best. That's what I found helped with mine. Running water (river, stream, rain hitting a window) helps me with mine. I'm fine during the day, but nighttime (when I'm in bed) is when it's absolutely horrible. I got myself the Bose Sleepbuds and they do wonders. Just need to keep the volume down so I don't ruin my hearing even more (like you said). Even at a soft volume, it helps me sleep tremendously, though.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 I’ve had it for at least thirty-five years, and I can trace the source of mine back to a very specific firecracker I set off in an aluminum trash can on the Fourth of July when I was nine or ten years old. Both ears, not quite the same tone, but I usually only notice it if it’s particularly quiet or if I’m specifically thinking about it (which makes going to sleep tricky sometimes). I’ve never tried any sort of therapy or other countermeasures to deal with it, but I’m so used to being able to tune it out that it’s rarely an issue.

Regarding turning the volume down, I only ever turn it up if I’m trying to listen to something while mowing. I have my headphones on at my computer all the time, with the volume low enough that I frequently scowl when a certain someone — who shall remain nameless — is in the same room and has his phone with him. (He’s one of those people who has no concept of in-between settings. Phone volume, television volume, water pressure, power drill being used as an electric screwdriver… either off or YES. >.< )

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used to listen to music, movies, and games pretty much at full volume. I didn't want to just hear it... I wanted to FEEL it. Regret that now. I've only had it about 6 months now, but I kept seeing (or hearing) the signs. I'd get tinnitus after loud music, but it eventually went away... I didn't really know much about it at the time, so I wasn't worried until it was too late. I actually started looking it up when it never went away, and I was like... "Wait... so this might not go away? There's no treatment or cure? I have to LIVE with this the rest of my life?" Had a rough time with it the first couple of months, and then I started to manage it better. Have a lot of fans going, background sound, and I eventually learned to tune it out. I still have a hard time sleeping, though, so I use my Bose earbuds which help a LOT.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To be honest, I never feel good using headphones. The pressure of the headphone makes my head dizzy (or sleepy) if used for a long time. I used it in the past mainly because I did not have my own private room and I didn't want to disturb other people. But now that I have, I let my headphone go and just use a speaker. I feel the liberty.

I still have headphones though, but I rarely used them. if I use it at all, it is probably for voice chat (so the sound did not echo) or when I'm making music (for precision).

I feel sorry about your condition. I hope it gets better.

Arctica

The Arbiter of Time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One famous(well used to be) actor with permanent form of this is William Shatner. He uses a device in his ear to muffle the ringing out.

I don't have this permanently but I get it from time to time and it can last for a day or 2. One method I used was having a fan blowing close to me as the humming of the motor/fan blades were enough to muffle the sound. Another (very effective) method is kind of a result of laziness. My ears get clogged rather quickly unlike you humans (I'm from the planet Jupiter.). Jokes aside, when they are clogged, the volume of the ringing is also reduced.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest, I never feel good using headphones. The pressure of the headphone makes my head dizzy (or sleepy) if used for a long time. I used it in the past mainly because I did not have my own private room and I didn't want to disturb other people. But now that I have, I let my headphone go and just use a speaker. I feel the liberty.

I still have headphones though, but I rarely used them. if I use it at all, it is probably for voice chat (so the sound did not echo) or when I'm making music (for precision).

I feel sorry about your condition. I hope it gets better.
Thanks. The ENT I saw said headphones are really bad for your hearing, especially if you wear them for 30+ minutes. I was like... "Oh dang. I wear my headphones for HOURS." LOL

One famous(well used to be) actor with permanent form of this is William Shatner. He uses a device in his ear to muffle the ringing out.

I don't have this permanently but I get it from time to time and it can last for a day or 2. One method I used was having a fan blowing close to me as the humming of the motor/fan blades were enough to muffle the sound. Another (very effective) method is kind of a result of laziness. My ears get clogged rather quickly unlike you humans (I'm from the planet Jupiter.). Jokes aside, when they are clogged, the volume of the ringing is also reduced.
Oh, really? Clogged ears reduces the ringing? Mine is more noticeable. Maybe that's because I'm from Mars and not Jupiter :p If yours isn't permanent, you should watch how loud you let your games/music get. Also... theaters, concerts, etc. Mine started as only happening for a few hours or days, too. Now it's permanent. Fix it now while you can.

How it was explained to me. Hearing loss doesn't = tinnitus. Basically, your brain is attempting to fix a loss of sound by replacing it with something else. Unfortunately, your brain doesn't realize that the noise it's replacing is the most annoying and obnoxious sound ever LOL

Arctica

The Arbiter of Time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In my case, it's the static-y and hissing sound created from reduced auditory feedback that is louder than the ringing itself. Not an ear expert but I believe it's due the difference in pressure in the ear canal that is blocked and the pressure outside of the ear.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I watched this guy. He's helped me a lot and focuses a lot on tinnitus. He suffers from it, as well. You should check him out: Dr. Ben Thompson

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, I've got tinnitus. I have unusually small sinuses and get a lot of ear infections, and that caused it for me. I don't wear headphones or earbuds because of how sensitive my ears are and I like to keep sound at minimum, so I'm not worried about that kind of damage. It's really mild, most of the time I don't notice it, but it gets worse when my ears have pressure, like when I've got a cold or yet another infection. I just ignore it. You guys have it much worse! I know there's some medications that are supposed to help.

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm hearing impaired and have dealt w tinnitus all my life. Fortunately for me, I only get tinnitus when I don't have my hearing aids in. Sometimes when I'm laying in bed at night, with the hearing aids out (well, technically one hearing aid, one cochlear implant -- but i had dual HAs for my entire life, and i will always call my devices hearing aids as a result lmao), and my ears are ringing like crazy... I just get up and put the HAs back in and that stops it. The like, interruption to my brain is usually enough that I can leave them in for a bit, then take them out again and have the tinnitus be gone.

It's funny, though -- my tinnitus has always been a ringing sound. I had the surgery to get thecochlear implant last year, and now I get an occasional clicking sound in that ear instead of the usual ringing. I never knew tinnitus could manifest as clicking! I hate it, I'd take the ringing over the clicking any day lol.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The ENT I saw said headphones are really bad for your hearing, especially if you wear them for 30+ minutes.
Well that's unfortunate. I have misophonia so I wear headphones all the time to drown out unpleasant noise. Don't have tinnitus (yet) but I don't listen to music very loud, thankfully.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I've actually heard some cases are so bad (objective), doctors can hear the person's tinnitus through a stethoscope.

I couldn't imagine the clicking sound. I heard it can be a hum, too. Mine is a high pitch ringing. I'd compare it to the sound they tend to play in movies when a loud bomb goes off... and they play that loud ringing. That's what I hear. Not quite as loud. I'm terrified it'll get worse, though. I actually wear earbuds (Eargasm-which are amazing btw) to the movies now, and I try to keep gaming volume below the halfway mark.

I tried all kinds of stuff when I first got it... meds, treatment via YouTube vids... nothing helps mine. I just drown it out with a very loud desk fan when I'm working and on my computer... and then I have some sleep buds I use at night.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgjtjtjt