RMVXA Gate of Providence (Quest-Focused RPG with Interconnected World)

henrypan321

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
HXgsjV.png

TRAILER

WORD FROM THE DEV
This game contains original music and artwork (for the most part, many of the tilesets and icons are from the community). The game is around 15 hours long if you complete every quest, which is recommended for the full experience as the narrative of the game is told through these quests. Turn up the difficulty if you want to make combat more interesting. If you find yourself stuck on a puzzle, check my website for hints.

SYNOPSIS
After the rise of a secret organization named Providence, Jun, a mercenary, finds himself caught in the middle of a coup d'etat. To restore order, he and his best friend Ne'l must journey across the entire continent of Iris, helping citizens in need while liberating the Empire from a dark legacy.

FEATURES
  • Over 30 quests to experience.
  • Around 15 hours of gameplay.
  • 40 Achievements to earn.
  • Interconnected/open world.
  • Resource management-based combat system.
  • Grinding not required.
  • An all original soundtrack.

GAMEPLAY
This game has an interconnected world. Each village on the continent has characters seeking help, and their requests might send you on adventures all around the continent!

BATTLE SYSTEM
  • Enemies roam the world and will chase you when they see you. By walking, it is possible to sneak past them.
  • Combat in this game focuses on skills and the resource known as Anima.
  • All skills use Anima and have a cooldown.
  • Players can choose and equip skills. Develop your own strategy and moveset, from locking down enemies with status effects, to using skills that target enemies' Anima to prevent them from attacking!

BACKSTORY

On Iris, the term mercenary has changed to mean something different. With the start of peacetime in the Fourth Age, the Mercenaries' Guild found its new purpose by serving the government. The Guild became the acting police force, at the same time providing help to people who request it. Through the "Mercenary Request" system, people can request help from a mercenary to carry out tasks or odd jobs for a reward.

CHARACTERS

Jun - 22 year old Mercenary
The protagonist of the game.

Abandoned at birth due to his white "demon" eyes, Jun was adopted by Guildmaster Julius of the Mercenaries' Guild.

Jun is usually a serious and quiet person. However, when he's around his best friend, Ne'l, he opens up and becomes slightly more expressive.

He enjoys helping others, due to his upbringing in the Mercenaries' Guild. He wants to help others because he himself was helped by mercenaries.

He despises people who manipulate others for personal gain. Ironically, Jun's eagerness to help others make him an easy target for manipulation.

Ne'l - 24 years old Blacksmith
The deuteragonist of the game.

Ne'l was born and raised by a blacksmith family in the East. Naturally, Ne'l became a blacksmith. His family provides the Eastern Order of Assassins with their weapons.

Ne'l is a seemingly outgoing person. He is able to gain connections to powerful people, like Crown Prince Taevas and Guildmasters. But despite this, he doesn't have many close friends, besides Jun and his wife Elena.

SCREENSHOTS
6.png
5.png
3.png

2.png

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

DOWNLOAD
Download at itch.io (266mb)

KNOWN ISSUES
I have tried my best to keep the game as bug-free as possible, but some have emerged that I cannot fix at the time. Here they are.
Hard to Reproduce (If you can consistently replicate these, please let me know)
  • Random invisible walls can appear. Fixable by reloading the game. (Seems to show up a lot in Jun's House.) (3 Reports)
  • The game may randomly crash when enemy touches you. Seems to be very rare, but please save often to avoid losing progress. (1 Report)
  • An objective in the Quest Log will not be marked as complete even if it is actually complete. This is cosmetic and does not affect quest progress. (1 Report)
  • Enemies may block passage after being defeated. (1 Report)
Common
  • Knight’s Will - Passive enemies still chase you if aggression level is set on the same map as the chaser.
  • Clicking out of the game will cause music to continue to run. (Inherent to RPGMaker VX Ace)

CREDITS
Visit our website here to view full credits.

Last edited:

henrypan321

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi all, v1.0.2 has been released, along with bug fixes and balance changes. The main post has been edited as well to be a bit more descriptive.

These various issues have been fixed in v1.0.2:
==Crashes / Softlocks==
  • Windswept Plateau - It is no longer possible to get stuck between two rocks and the wind areas.
==Typos==
  • In Perennia Mountains, soldier says "Forward".
  • Book 8 - Descendants - "others"
==Passability==
  • Fulgurous Ravine - It is no longer possible to walk through a wall.
  • Kingmages' Keep - It is no longer possible to walk through a wall.
==Balance==
  • Reduced frequency of encounters in the Perennia Mountains area.
  • Reduced Raphael's Max HP.
  • Reduced the damage of Oblivion from 300 to 240.
  • Reduced HP scaling for all enemies.
  • Difficulty setting no longer affects enemy HP.
  • Difficulty setting affects enemy END/RES less.
  • Rabbit Stance - Cooldown increased by 1 (7 -> 8).
  • Snake Stance - Cooldown decreased by 2 (22 -> 20).
==Other==
  • Fixed the bug that causes skills like The World to randomly fail.
  • Added some dialogue for Reversal of Tides to take into account completion of Land of the Nekos.
  • Reduced the maximum wager for G-Coins to 99 due to an oversight.
  • Renamed Confusion status ailment to Fumble.
  • Moved chests in the Treasury so they cannot be opened from behind a table.
  • Added a new tester to the tester room and credits.
  • Added Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard descriptors to the difficulty levels.
  • Added better hints to the quest log for A Shift in Power.
  • Calamity Ring now sets Max HP to 1.

henrypan321

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi all, v1.0.3 has been released. There's been a revamp of the crafting system, along with a bug fix and some balance changes. The required external files have also been included.

Balance
  • Decreased the overall stats of enemies on Trainee (Very Easy) and Mercenary (Easy) difficulties.
  • Increased the STR, DEX, and AGI stats of enemies on War Hero (Hard) and Lunatic (Very Hard) difficulties.
  • Judgment - Base Damage reduced by 100 (500 -> 400).
  • Ram Stance - Base Damage increased by 5 (75 -> 80).
  • The Hierophant - ANI Cost decreased by 5 (15 -> 10).
Other
  • Revamped Cooking and Smelting to accept number input. This allows for crafting multiples of items that aren't 1, 5, and 10.
  • Guarding will no longer affect healing or Anima gain from items or skills.
  • Achievements Go-To Guy, The Hero Iris Deserves, Awaken, My Masters, Can't Hide from the Past, Jun the Explorer, Cat Lover, and Pest Control now have progress bars. (This change will not be visible on older save files.)
  • Dependencies (DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributable Packages) have been included with the downloadable zip file.

henrypan321

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, v1.0.4 has been released with mostly minor fixes. Any feedback on this game is greatly appreciated!

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Excellent mapping (I don't care if it was made with the original RTP assets) and very nice monsters. I think it's the best wolf monster I ever seen in a RPG Maker game. Seems like a solid game, and I hope I can find time to play it soon. I promise you that once I play it I will give all the feedback it deserves. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Jeez...
I finally decide, after several ppl asking me to, to create a gamethread about project M... And my internet craps out on me halfway through the process :(
making my first game is like trying to stuff all my experience with old games into one
so its slow and painful when i dont get it right... i bet the next game is gonna be finished earlier!
When you don't find any time to work... :kaocry:
First Ten Minutes of my Caretaker inspired game

Finally, I got a good Gmail message [from smg5urded]
"This game does look a bit plain, but, I'm sure this does not destroy the experience as a whole. Monsters fit your style of game-play, mapping looks crude but I'm sure you can make it better if you do a remake of Forgotten Eclipse"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavishKK