iiJaspers

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I am currently looking for a font that resembles that of the older Final Fantasy games such as FF6. I wouldn't mind any font, but the one in particular that I am hunting for is the one used in Jessie Prices, Last Legend game.

If someone could help me with the search for a this font, or one like it, it would be much appreciated.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try this site here: https://fontmeme.com/fonts/pixel-fonts-collection/ . They have a huge variety of pixel fonts, including a couple that are based on Gameboy or GBA games like F-Zero and Pokemon. Haven't seen a Final Fantasy one but I'm almost certain there's one that might superficially resemble it. Also, some of them are free only for personal use and not for commercial use.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@iiJaspers
As someone who've spent a fair bit of time searching for something similar myself, let me tell you that getting the result shown in that video is not as simple as choosing the right font. This is because RPGmaker, as an engine, tries it's best to add a blur effect to whatever font you use. This is fine for normal fonts but it destroys those types of pixel perfect fonts that you're looking for. You may be able to fix this with a plugin, but as far as I know no such plugin exists so you'd have to try and make it yourself... if you know how to.

What you can do, what I did, and what I suspect Jessie Price have done is to use an Sfont instead. It requires some work from your part and since it's not a normal font you can't really change the size and colors as freely, but it will be pixel perfect if you make it so. You're basically printing the letters from an image file and as such it will look like it's supposed to look (which also means it'll be the size you've drawn it to be and nothing else).

To use an Sfont you'd need to use this plugin by @Victor Sant.

I hope this helps.

iiJaspers

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@iiJaspers
As someone who've spent a fair bit of time searching for something similar myself, let me tell you that getting the result shown in that video is not as simple as choosing the right font. This is because RPGmaker, as an engine, tries it's best to add a blur effect to whatever font you use. This is fine for normal fonts but it destroys those types of pixel perfect fonts that you're looking for. You may be able to fix this with a plugin, but as far as I know no such plugin exists so you'd have to try and make it yourself... if you know how to.

What you can do, what I did, and what I suspect Jessie Price have done is to use an Sfont instead. It requires some work from your part and since it's not a normal font you can't really change the size and colors as freely, but it will be pixel perfect if you make it so. You're basically printing the letters from an image file and as such it will look like it's supposed to look (which also means it'll be the size you've drawn it to be and nothing else).

To use an Sfont you'd need to use this plugin by @Victor Sant.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. After a bit of time using the tools provided by previous replies, I did find a font that is similar to the one used in the video. After a little bit more work, the font will look like it is fresh out of an GBA Game while not looking too blurry. I will continue to work on my project with the knowledge that you and the others have provided and I hope that soon i'll be able to share my progress with everyone else.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful