RMVXA Geiken

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Orgaya, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

Kilauea, Mt. Etna, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Loa, Mt. Merap
    First Language:
    English
    Updated to v3.0.

Changelog:

- An in game compass has been added. It will be given to the player after the second quest (if you have a save after this, there is a chest just outside of Kinsa City that will give it to you instead; otherwise it just contains a potion). Pressing "R" will activate and deactivate the compass. It only points the player in the direction of the current objective in the main quest they are on, and won't work in certain areas.
    - Most companions have been given a unique ability that can be activated from the Support menu.
    - Late game bosses will now teleport to the player if they stray too far from the battle.

2. Crisys

Crisys Twitch Live Streamer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Know that there are six different endings for this game and I didn't even get the "canon" ending, and I will say that this story is easily a 10/10. The choices that the player have to make have real, actionable consequences that rival something Bioware used to do before they shilled out for EA. It might not seem like it's making any sense as you are progressing, but it all comes together wonderfully in the conclusion of the game.

I played through all of it live, with the dev watching on Twitch and we discussed some changed that needed to be made to make the game a little more accessible and I think with the latest update adding a compass, a big step was taken. Also, adding new skills and items makes the party members a little cooler and fun to have in combat.

All I can say is, give this game a chance, the story carries it.

If you want to watch my play thru, here is the link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7EeKp-zFmWQo-UrmC42jC-syzhU2KPDH

Fernyfer775, Starmage and Orgaya like this.
  3. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm very amazed with how far this game has come! I'm loving the graphics and ABS so far! ^_^ Gonna play more of it now! :D

Orgaya likes this.
  4. CoGDork

CoGDork That's Me! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you just kept swinging at the scarecrow at the start of the game until you "killed" it? Might there be any easter eggs or anything for the insane person who tried?

HawkZombie likes this.
  5. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Right now, no, there isn't, as I never thought anyone would actually be interested in trying. But since I've seen a lot of people mention it, I will probably add an effect in the next minor update, haha.

Thanks for checking out my game!

HawkZombie and CoGDork like this.
  6. CoGDork

CoGDork That's Me! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I found out about your game from a twitch LP stream a friend of mine has (he's also a member on this site). Hawkzombie, in case you want to see him hilariously fail at your game. :)

Orgaya and HawkZombie like this.
  7. HawkZombie

HawkZombie Lord of Shadow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Dork: yep, Orgaya knows about it lol

Orgaya and CoGDork like this.
  8. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *Insert eggplant here* Ferny approves of what he sees...

Orgaya and HawkZombie like this.
  9. HawkZombie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So, my thoughts on the game are...wow.

I have a personal bias against the ABS for RPG Maker games. Very, very rarely is it ever used effectively, or in a way that felt fun. Here it works, and it actually works well. I initially had great difficulty with it because I didn't pay attention in the tutorial, and did not realize the main character had a near-inexhaustible heal. It doesn't make the game easy, but it makes the ABS more than bearable.

As for the game itself...I was blown away. I didn't know exactly what to expect, but it surpassed any expectations I had and really grabbed me with the unique, mysterious story. Did the same to those on my stream who watched it. It's difficult to describe it without giving much away, but...

The best way I can describe this is as a slow burn, with payoffs that feel like they really matter, and twists that don't feel forced or trite, but organic and make previous scenes make much more sense. It's confusing at times, but it's worth it for the story when it all ties together. Plus, there are multiple endings, so finding the truth becomes much more of a journey. It hardly ever felt like a chore.

+Excellent story. Worth every second invested to experience it.
    +Choices that matter and affect the outcome. While certain things are hard coded, the choices really felt like they mattered, and did far more than change some text.
    +Made the ABS fun. Seriously...I didn't think it was possible.
    +OPINION: I felt emotional at several points in the game. That to me is the sign of excellent storytelling and game design.
    +Lots of extra side quests and secrets to discover

=Lack of options (adjusting volume for one). This is more a result of limitations of the engine than anything else, so forgivable.
    =Minor typos and glitches, but absolutely nothing game breaking or that detracts from the atmosphere or story.
    =The tutorial could've been a little clearer, or perhaps made the player DO the actions (like heal) to progress, etc

-Some of the bosses are cheap (One hit kills, or incredibly powerful) and if you don't save often, you can lose a LOT of progress.
    -The maps are HUGE. 500x500 in some instances. It can make travel a bit tiresome, even after you receive a special item increasing your character's speed
    -Fast travel doesn't come until the last half of the game. Even faster travel? Not until you are nearly at the end.

TLDR: This game is worth your time if you don't like being held by the hand as the story unfolds. If you like a mystery, and want to feel something for the world and characters. Easily one of my top three games of all time, now.

Fernyfer775, Starmage and Orgaya like this.
  10. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Updated to 3.1.

Changelog:

- Easter eggs can now be found throughout the world.
    - A near impossible and entirely optional superboss has been added after finding it through a world spanning series of puzzles. Upon its defeat the player will gain access to a "cheat room" when restarting the game.
    - General bugfixes.

HawkZombie likes this.
  11. HawkZombie

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm an Easter Egg!!

Love it XD

Orgaya likes this.
  12. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Without a doubt, this game has the most compelling and richest story that I have EVER seen in an Rpg Maker game. The game starts off a little confusing and there is so much going on that can confuse you, but it is supposed to be that way, because the story slowly builds up over time and the pieces start to come together. I have watched multiple playthroughs of this game and each and every time, I find myself more and more drawn into the amazing story that this game has to offer.

I'm not a personal fan of ABS in a grid-based system like RPG Maker, and the mapping could use a little work, but other than that, this game is a solid 10/10 in terms of story telling and dialogue.

13. Crisys

Crisys Twitch Live Streamer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone,

The other day I did a live interview with the developer of Geiken and got some really good insights into the game! Check it out if you are interested.

HawkZombie, Starmage and Orgaya like this.
  14. SadGhoster87

SadGhoster87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello. Possible bug. In the latest version of the game, Peren's MP does not increase with leveling. I'm at level 20, just obtained the desert staff, and have just now realized Peren's 1 MP limit might not be an intentional nerf of the heal, but in fact a bug. If it is a bug, it would be nice if it could get fixed. If it is not a bug, disregard this (though I would like to know).

15. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello! Thank you for playing my game.

No, Peren's base mana doesn't change with your level like other stats. It can only be increased via equipment, such as the Ghost Amulet you should have received before fighting Kilo-Ben and other "Blue" based gear.

Let me know if there is a problem with this, however. And with anything else, of course!

16. SadGhoster87

First Language:
    English
    Thank you. Are Blurite Scarves, equipped on other party members, meant to increase mana for Peren?

17. SadGhoster87

First Language:
    English
    Hey, checking back in to report a bug with the latest version: during the plot twist at the top of the tower (not going to say any more, don't want people getting spoiled) in the flashbacks no characters are visible, it's just empty maps.

18. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Some items, like the Blurite Scarf, are only able to be worn by companions (should be denoted in the description of the item) as they increase mana by hundreds to fit with the bigger mana pools the companions have. Additionally, some grant Auras, which Peren is unable to use. Blurite Slippers, Mana Amulets, and Violite gear are some such items Peren can equip to increase his own mana.

As for the missing sprites, it's intentional, as is the rain. It's a stylized choice meant to rapidly show the locations of each location where the scene took place, and since some of them only had Peren in the scene when the conversation was taking place, there wasn't really a need to recreate it.

19. SadGhoster87

First Language:
    English
    Alright. Could I also ask a few of the scripts you used? It would be cool to see how stuff like the redone chests, the above-head item activation text, the grappling hook, the compass, the ABS, and etc. were done.

20. Orgaya

Orgaya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aside from the Compass, all of that was accomplished using the Falcao Pearl ABS System. All scripts and their creators are listed in the Credits text file packaged with the game, but I'll post them here:

Insane Anti Lag - TheoAllen
    Disable Dash - IXFURU
    Falcao Pearl ABS Liquid v3 - http://falcaorgss.wordpress.com/
    Quest Journal -modern algebra (rmrk.net) - http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45127.0.html
    CSCA Light Effects - Casper Gaming (http://www.caspergaming.com/)
    Yami Script Ace - Overlay Mapping - Hanzo Kimura
    Multiple Fogs - Woratana (port by Necromus)
    Fix for Yami's Overlay Mapping script - Sixth
    TSDA Book System - thiago_d_d
    Skip Title Screen - JV Master Script
    Position Choice Window - Lament
    Remove Inventory - Xypher

Hope this helps!