OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if this is the best forum to actually post a review. If the Mods feel there is a better place for this, feel free to move this thread there.

RPGMaker GENE Tool Review:

If you have ever used a Visual Editor, then you will know what GENE is about. GENE is a tool specifically made for RPGMaker MV for the sole purpose of creating more dramatic looking cutscenes.

For those who have never used this type of program before, it won't be easy to jump into at first. Fortunately, the tool does have a few Preset scenes built into it, so you can see how things were done and take it from there. This will, however, load the preset images into your project's picture folder and overwrite any files in it, so be aware of that.

A scene will play out over the course of a timeline, of which you can view at the bottom of the screen. If you want some effects to play out at the same time, you must create "lanes" in which to insert your event.

There are seven events that you can place on the timeline.

Insert Picture- A Picture that will appear in your scene. You will have to use your Project's resource manager to Import pictures that you want to use with GENE in order to use them. THIS INCLUDES PARALLAX BACKGROUND IMAGES. So if you want a starry sky, you're gonna have to go find one, or import the default images into your picture folder.
You can cause the image to have a starting point where it initially appears to a different ending position as it stays on the screen. In this way, the image will simulate movement as your timeline plays out You can also manipulate it in several different ways.

Show Text Event: Basically a dialogue window, using MV defaults.

Show Scrolling Text Event: Scrolling Text!

Fade In Screen/Screen Effects: Pretty Self explanatory if you are familiar with how they work in MV. From a dark screen to flashing the screen and shaking it.

Play Audio, Fade out Audio: You can play any audio files and choose to end the music if you wish. BGE, ME, basically any audio files you can use.

You can also enter Comment Tabs into your timeline. Used for developing purposes, you can keep tabs on what you want to do by leaving comments. These won't be seen in the actual scene.

That's pretty much it. A pretty simple program that you could probably do a lot with it if you're inventive enough.

Edited for grammatical errors.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Product Discussion and Support[/move]

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. I was going to post it there, but I wasn't sure if that was the best place.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder:
How does the code insertion work in regards to actual events?
Is that timeline somehow of "forced length"?
Does it support timeline based picture movement? (point A - picture in top left corner, point B - picture in bottom right corner and creating a move picture from that)

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Poryg

You can change the length of how long the picture stays on screen. You can also have the picture start at A position, end at B position and the picture will move from A to B when you play the scene.

I have yet to integrate a scene into a game, though I'm assuming It's done using the "play movie" event command.

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the information.

So, is it GENE bassically a tool that can be used to create Visual Novel-like scene in RPG Maker MV without using plugin?

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, basically. Though you would need to have an artist to create your character images.

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awwwww, shame. So it can't do much with on-screen sprites/events? It's mostly just for VN-like scenes?
I am sadface. :(

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I put my floor and wall background images in and the wall one overlayed the floor one so it just shows the background. It didn't seem to know I should still be able to see the floor.
But maybe I don't know how to set the transparency. Can you display more than one background image at once?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Animalblack