General concensus (opinions needed, please read)

SKGaming

The Hidden
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've recently bought three RPGM programs (MV, VX Ace, and 2k3), and I've been wanting to make a game with any of them that can be published. However, I want to make a game that a decent amount of people will play. So I want to ask the RPG Maker community this question: what game style will more people likely play? Would it be the classic 16 bit style you see in 2k3 products? Or would it be a rather sharp-looking 32 bit VX Ace or MV game?

I will eventually be using all three products to make various games, but I want to know what large-scale project should be made first.

I am grateful for any input you have.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's gotta be MV. You can publish to more platforms, so more people will play. And you can still use a retro style if you want to. :)

supercow

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesia
Primarily Uses
stick with 1 rpgm program instead of jack of all trade , stick with 1 style of graphic so they wont look weird .

if you want to use program that can be used in multiple platform and get lots of potential to be played then get MV ,

i never used it but i heard it can be cross over .

downside of MV is that its relatively new so there probably wont be lots of script/resource for it yet .

now about the gamestyle im not really certain which would be the most popular , as long as its fun and engaging i dont really care .

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't confuse technology with content.

To make a good game, you need to focus on quality of story and execution, especially if you want to use the default resources (and if you're willing to make or purchase your own resources, the question of which editor to use is even less important)

Venthros

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've recently bought three RPGM programs (MV, VX Ace, and 2k3), and I've been wanting to make a game with any of them that can be published. However, I want to make a game that a decent amount of people will play. So I want to ask the RPG Maker community this question: what game style will more people likely play? Would it be the classic 16 bit style you see in 2k3 products? Or would it be a rather sharp-looking 32 bit VX Ace or MV game?

I will eventually be using all three products to make various games, but I want to know what large-scale project should be made first.

I am grateful for any input you have.
I agree with Andar, what's really going to set your game apart is content. 

Out of the box, MV supports exporting to Android, iOS, and HTML5 on top of a regular .exe. As mentioned above, this broadens the potential audience. Since you have MV, I'd work with that. 

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Story, and gameplay... Focus on those!

SKGaming

The Hidden
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't confuse technology with content.

To make a good game, you need to focus on quality of story and execution, especially if you want to use the default resources (and if you're willing to make or purchase your own resources, the question of which editor to use is even less important)
Thank you for your input. I will keep that in mind.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

While was working on one of the monsters that will appear in my horor game I may have made harold a Lovecraftian monster. (I used his head to keep things aligned.)
Finally got my website fixed and the security sorted so it's been a productive day. Can I go to sleep now? I mean... I don't need to work right?
It's always a good idea to refresh yourself on what your plugins do. I'm working on a map with opening walls, and I was about to tear my hair out over how much image editing and hand-constructing of autotiles I'd have to do, when I looked again and saw @Shaz 's Tile Changer could copy areas from another map.
"sorry it took me so long to respond" - can we please agree not to say that anymore unless it actually took a long time?! (Like 36hrs at least) I mean, I'm running out of funny responses here xD
Ugh... 4:53AM over here and I can't sleep so why not just game make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshikosai