Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Happy to hear that, Jackkel! Will look forward to what you've cooked up. (Remember to post the game topic the in the Arum Games subforum!)

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So what about a land bridge that appears once a year? I've been developing a game for the "Make-A-Game Weekend" (or whatever it's called), and wondered if it might be an acceptable game for Arum. (The full game should be released by the end of May if not sooner!)

Luminous Warrior

Knight in Battle Scarred Armour
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok, I know that the rules say no end of the world, killing other people's important characters, or everlasting, all-powerful empires. But, what if I did do something like that, but then reset the world. Like, hypothetical scenario, a rift opens and lets in a race of evil warlords who take over the world. Their takeover lasts thousands of years, until they end up destroying the world, as revealed by the heroes who are time-travelers. Eventually, after many adventures, in which they enter other people's games (with the possibility of important characters from those games (including the main characters) being killed) they find a way to reset time and space, preventing the villains from ever entering Arum, thus causing the events of the game to have never happened, thus undoing everything that breaks these rules but perhaps leaving a few thing from the setting partially intact, such as some of the villains are still in this world, but not enough for them to repeat events, or the heroes still remember the events of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
-This post really served no purpose, sorry!-

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@NPC: land bridges are fine. Try giving them a "official" in the setting so other people can use them correctly too and you're good to go.

@Luminous Warrio: Afraid not. As stated, any ENTIRE WORLD CHANGING EVENTS (such as world overtaking and fricking RESETTING a planet) are out. I know what you mean, but basically that's world HOGGING, and not what Arum is made for.

Why not? Specially because it seems like you're envisioning a grand game in scale with time traveling and dimensions and all, but the reuslt is that you will never show the whole world, but still want "the evil guys" to overtake it ALL just for your game. Simply put: Arum has already content that would not LIKE such development (I know I have already enough deities and factions that would put up a righteous fuckign fight and the thought that they automatically lose in someone else's game without me getting a  word in is not something I want).

If you can prove you'll finish and handle things very gracefully within the setting...well, honestly I'd be up to execution and to what other users think, but on the whole it's a sort of thing that if you want to use the whole world for yourself, don't try to do that in Arum unless you can COEXIST :<

In short, we don't encourage people messing with the entire world easily. It's not jsut "your" game anymore, it would be other people's setting you're messing with. Your idea does not go ALONG with the exisitng setting, it just takes it all indiscriminately away for the plot (taking over and Frick what was there) and would probably cause more harm than good.

That said, it's the WORLD scope that is screwing it up here. If you want a localized part of Arum that would be fine, but entire world is a no. You simply would abuse too much of other's creations by taking over the entire world. We are not talking about a well talking about event with the original creators here, just you and your game, and I'm afraid Arum is not the place for that setting.

And I hope that ungodly ranting was enough to describe my point without sounding like a jackass ><

Reactions: NPC

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey...just remembered I had more than one idea for this! Too bad I'm still bogged down with my big fat main project, and my wacky side project(s). And...whatever.

I just wanna say that it's cool seeing some locations on the world map! I've always loved seeing labelled world maps in RPGs, and for something like this, it's just cool! I hope to get a spot in there someday. Also, the climate thing, still inspires me...hmmm...

OH, and, I looked back over some of my posts from like, a year ago, and I feel silly. Why do I always default to time-travel and interplanetary travel? Sheesh. (that's not to say that I wouldn't do that still, lol)

GalaxyRed

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm kind of new to this whole "game community" thing (and RPG maker in general, although I've dabbled a bit in RPG Maker 2003), but it seems like this Arum is basically a shared world between game makers, so they can have their own peristent world, and to make it easier for new people (like myself) to jump in with maps made with the community, if the makers aren't artistically adept in that stuff. At least, that's what I'm getting from what I've read so far.

I had a game in mind that I was going to make, that was going to be pretty standard fare in terms of setting (fantasy, mainly), and I'm not that good at making maps (I've tried, but I've basically had to look at videos to see how to do them, and I can barely do indoor stuff, let alone outdoor). But, as I said, I had a game I wanted to make and a story I wanted to tell. I don't really want to mention what the story is (other than there's nothing that would essentially "end the world" in it), but I'm not sure how to go about doing a game in this endeavor.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My Quest for Yltimus game floundered. I got bogged down in technical challenges, mapmaking, and chaining events long enough that I realized I just wasn't content with the basic design or story. I've set that aside, and started a project instead that I call Secret of the Summoner with more modest goals on every front, and a story I enjoy. 

I've been thinking about Arum and names. Do characters in Arum have Earth names? Like, would a character be named Phillip? Would having a version of the Greek Gods in a game be kosher, or would it be preferable to reinvent everything with odd-sounding, Arum-specific names? What about references to real world legends, like the Black Cauldron, Excalibur, or Baba Yaga?

Is Arum a place that would have D&D style elves, dwarves, etc.? I've already borrowed the orc sprite for my game, recolored it blue, and called it a Subterranean, but might there be orcs somewhere out there? 

How Earth-like is Arum?

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
oh wow! I have alot of ideas!! I hope i can actually get a game compleated to include in this! :D !!!

Edit: I have a question, you've already stated that "End of World" scenarios are off limits, right? Well...what about "End of country/or kingdom"? Like say i make a game somewhere in the future of another persons game, like several hundred years after an asteroid destroyed a kingdom they made (with thier permission of course), would that be allowed?

Also, maybe you already covered this (im not sure, this is the first ive heard anything of this Arum universe yall are making), but, since an idea i have for a story line needs a kingdom to be destroyed by an asteroid, couldent i just make a country and then blow it up for the sake of my games story, while staying true to the lore and time lines of others games?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@pawsplay - I'm sure Indrah will chime in, but I'm pretty certain you can name your characters whatever you want.  The beauty in Arum is that there is a lot of flexibility.  It's a world, so think about it this way: do traditional English-language names sound anything like traditional Asian names or African names?  Nope.  So different countries in Arum could (in theory) have completely different languages, therefore different sounding names, etc. 

The same goes with magic, creatures, etc., because the existence of creatures in one game but not in another could easily be explained by not only location, but time periods as well.  A creature in your world may have become extinct by the time my civilization comes around thousands of years later.  And that's where collaboration could come in - I could mention the ancient orc race of whatever your country is named, as a fun nod to your game.

@deathswallow - I don't see why the end of a country/kingdom would not be permitted.  I would just caution that you either create your own kingdom/country to demolish or seek permission of the creator of another kingdom/country before demolishing it.  I'm sure Indrah will correct me if I'm wrong.

derwhitephantom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
lol hey guys. i know im new too this but i really want to get involved on this whole thing with you guys. ive got a general story lined out for my game right now and sone mechanic set up bit thats about it so and i have some questions. im a very story driven gamer so im incorporating alot of "historical" backstory to my game on certain events and the likes. so my question is this. with each of our premissions for each story be agree on some basic world beliefs?

For example. if i place my kingdom up north and their ancestors came from the south, would than my people share some of the same beliefs as of devs from the south, or would i be unintentially voiding their history and vice versa. also another strange thing would be a coherant timeline.

example 2. my kingdom borders another kingdom on the map, but take place in different times. lets say mine is before by 5 years. in my kingdom, the gates of hell open up spilling hell on the land destroying most of the kingdom. that would seem like it would be a well known event that would be told for years later, so after my game would it just cease to exist afterwards and on whatever continent it took place on was just like meh watever 5 years later?

lol maybe im over thinking things. the only reason im asking too is that im building the backstory like i said and ill be listing what i feel woulda been major events (an example is that a prophecy was recorded from ancestors in the area years ago is coming true) and in truth if my game gets going i would like to refrence all your games (with permissions of course) or atleast major events that may have taken place, are taken place or atleast maybe have yhe people in my area know of the surrouding area instead of people located in a major city who dont have a clue there are other people around

raozspaz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This whole idea actually does interest me. Quite a bit in all honesty. I have a couple questions though.

First off: I use sprites and facesets (other than just the ones allowed in the game) from a site called Usui Association. I can link if necessary. They allow the usage of their sprites by anyone as long as there is credit involved. Is it alright to use those sprites in the game.

Second: Yanfly. I use quite a few of his engines. Is it alright to use those in the game.

Lastly: I am pretty good at designing outdoor maps. Or at least I think I am. If someone can guide me through the process of attaching a file, I could show a couple of my maps to you guys. Anywho, to the 'question'. If you guys agree that my maps are pretty good, could I offer my services as a map maker? Just to design maps that players can use and then those maps would be stuck to the area they were made for (or not if you guys say otherwise). Now I will admit my maps only use standard available resources, but that shouldnt be a problem.

Now for just what I want to say. I don't know if I am quite ready to make a full on game. Maybe a mini one. But I dont think I could pull off a full scale game just quite yet. And none of my stuff would be super fancy. But this is definitely something for me to think of down the road. Anywho, I have said my peace. If I can offer my services up to the community here for just some classic in game mapmaking, thatd be pretty cool. Other than that, I guess we will just have to wait and see how everything goes and whether or not I can get around to getting a game completed.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@derwhitephantom - Personally, I think you are over thinking things, lol.  That's me though.  I think as long as you keep things not too specific, you'll be okay.  I think another thing you are doing is putting this whole world on a very short timeline.  For example, my country is in the south.  Maybe even from where you want your ancient ancestors to be from (no clue).  But let's say you decided your ancient ancestors had come from my region.  And let's say our games take place 5 years apart.  Well, just because your ancestors came from my region, say thousands of years ago, doesn't mean that the people in my world couldn't have evolved their beliefs drastically over the thousands of years so that there are ways to explain the differences. I hope that makes some sense.  Likewise, if someone wanted to come in and make a game in a country bordering yours, if they didn't want to include your major event, they could just say it takes place before the major event, or hundreds of years later or something.  Make your world, and as long as you don't do something like blow up the entire universe, I think you'll be okay.

@raozspaz - There shouldn't be a problem using things made by others as long as you are using them per terms of agreement.  The only thing I could see is with those sprites, if you are making a fan game that takes place somewhere that doesn't fit with the Arum world.  But if you are simply using the sprites, it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the mini game question, my one completed game for Arum is a mini-game (my first project and pretty crappy at that, lol).  I am also working on a follow up to it, hopefully to be released by summer, that will also be a mini-game.

Again, not posting in an official capacity, so Indrah might correct something I've written.

raozspaz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for answering. Even if you aren't 100% certain whether you are or are not correct. None the less, I do like this whole idea and I am working on getting a possible idea. Working on a skeleton idea for it actually. Hopefully once I get that done I can start on some actual work eh. Ha ha ha! Here is to hoping Arum someday turns into a bustling world with all sorts of stories.

Ralph

Retired Badass
Restaff Lead
Reaction score
First Language
Fantasy Heroics
I want to make a game too (。・ω・。)ノ♡

But I'm too busy with my heroic duties as Event Boss. So I'll be cheering for you all!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for answering. Even if you aren't 100% certain whether you are or are not correct. None the less, I do like this whole idea and I am working on getting a possible idea. Working on a skeleton idea for it actually. Hopefully once I get that done I can start on some actual work eh. Ha ha ha! Here is to hoping Arum someday turns into a bustling world with all sorts of stories.
I was trying to help out, because it seems to me Indrah is really busy and might appreciate someone else chiming in. 

raozspaz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was trying to help out, because it seems to me Indrah is really busy and might appreciate someone else chiming in. 
Yeah. I know. And i appreciate it ^_^ It at least gives me that thought to at least get started. If I am told no, it shouldnt be too hard to fix.

derwhitephantom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
lol actually that made alot of sense in what i was attempting to understand. just wanted to get an idea of how this world was flowing. i dont plan on blowing up the universe or anything drastic really. most of what im going to do prolly wouldnt have much of an impact anyways whereever i am just wanted to see again how things were planning on flowing. one thing i may do is reference some of your guys games in my as a way to create what i feel is a more "unified game" for my purposes (of course this would only be with the permissions of the creators and still not even sure if im going to include it, just think it may be kind of fun)

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ugh, I’ll address in order (so much stuff).

@Pawsplay: About names: I’m pretty neutral on the whole thing. I only ask you try to stick to something: if you use, say, French styled names for your game, make sure you don’t suddenly pop in Japanese anime names for no reason (this happens way more often than I like to contemplate).

Choose something you like and go with it. Just make sure you don’t start pulling nonsensical things and mixing things up wrong (that sort of thing would even make you frown in an AAA game; it just looks stupid and newbish).

As for specific gods: REMAKING them is perfectly fine, reusing them as is will probably look rather “meh”, specifically gods like the Greek or the Nordic since they’re so well known and this is another PLANET. It’s not forbidden, I think, it’s just unoriginal. At least try to make new names or origins for them, even if they represent the same values.

Tl;Dr: anything goes, but try to at least reword their origins and terms a bit. Otherwise it just feels lazy, as if I just took the entirety of a story I liked and just plonked it town in another setting without changing even the names.

About races: go ahead; just make sure you don’t specify they are globally present (since each dev will do with that what they will).

@Deathswallow: Country limited kingdoms are allowed. As long as you don’t set entire world conflicts, your country’s yours to do what you want.

If you want to blow up your country, sure. But will you build a game over it, would it be accessible to other developers? Will your game be set IN the country while it’s active or is it just the past? Ideally you want to leave here the details of a space where things are HAPPENING, otherwise you may want to claim the same space and just say “there was a kingdom here but was destroyed. Now it’s only some villages (or whatever).

I may not have quite grasped what you mean, give me more details if this didn’t answer the question.

@derwhitephantom: If you want to synch up with specific countries you should definitely talk to the developer of that country.

On the other hand, don’t stress too much about sharing back stories. There will invariably be developers who do not want to take into account certain events in other games, and that’s allowed. That’s why everyone is in charge of their own space. The simplest way to deal with this is to just talk to the devs with countries nearby.

@Raozspaz: You can use whatever you want in your game. It just means you won’t be able to officially “donate” the maps if you wanted if you do not use a rtp style.

We do not monitor resources of any kind. You can make your game as you want, there is no need for permission there.

Not sure what you mean about the maps. Do you want to be a mapper for other people? In that case you should open up a request workshop or enter a team. For official map donation we encourage more along the lines of towns or important country key locations, since those would be much more easily reusable (and yes, they would have to be in rtp style.)

To attach an image go to a image hosting service (imgur for example) upload your image there and get the link, paste it here as (img)linkurl(/img) (imagine those parenthesis are brackets since it won't let me write them as is) and you’re done.

And yes, Short games are allowed.

@Ralph: Hush you intruder, Imma slap you with a trout >V This is MAH ZONE, gerrout if you’re not actually gonna make a game! *butt-bumps him out of the room*

@mlogan: thanks for the backup. It’s perfectly fine to pipe in, as long as what you say isn’t a blatant mistake I won’t bother correcting ‘3’ Ad yes, I am busy as all hell so I appreciate the help OTL

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you Indrah, you answered my question for the most part. I didint want to give to much away, but i guess ill just go ahead and anyway.

Ok so in my story i thought id go ahead an exploit the "Magical Rifts" thing. So lets say long ago (at least long before the starting point of my game) a dark and brooding and evil race from a completely different world than Arum, ripped one of these rifts wide open in an attempt to take over. In thier attempt they caused a huge chain reaction which not only nearly destroyed the region/kingdom my story takes place in but essentially ruined the way "Magic" works "in that particular" region/kingdom.

Here are my question

1) Two, how would introducing a new race into the world of Arum work? Lets say some of the Evil Race survived the chain reaction, and became an official, if reclusive, and some what less evil, though still understandable reviled, inhabitant of Arum. Would the fact that they came from another universe disqualify them from becoming an official race.

2) the part where "Magic Works Differently in My Region", might that cause problems for others?

3) Can we make references to other peoples regions/kingdoms, or even characters. Like say a character becomes a kind of heroic figure in history, and i have a monument to that character in my game?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...
I've wondered for a while now... what is it about the YED SV plugin that just doesn't do transformations... I feel it's how it looks up the battlers honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Galewings