Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Is it just me or are the generator faces quite different stylistically from the RTP ones? :/

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know for sure, but it seems that we can make Harold-like face with the generator which indicate that the "RTP" has similar style with the generator.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are. If you notice the generator faces lack shadows and so finer details of the RTP.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
That's true, much better than in VX Ace! But still, what a strange decision to make them different. Does anyone know if it is theoretically possible to re-create everyone from the RTP in the generator? Just curious. (I still can't use the generator, since I need some non-human characters, too.)

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
The match better, but yes, again, the art is not exactly the same.

And you can make really similar faces on the generator not exactly the same, but all hairstyles (except children and monsters) are available on the generator.

So you can just "revamp" the sprites if you don't like the slight mismatch. (Or alter the generator sprites to use the same light effects)

(Some hairstyles doesn't look the same, like Actor2-4, but his hairstyle in the generator exists and it's really similar)

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm not surprised really, when you think about it, that was part of the selling point of some of the extra bundles.  If you could just make them with the generator that would defeat the purpose a bit...

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would pay good money for good generator add on packs that match with the RTP/base generator graphics very well.

I would not pay any money for ones that don't match well and look like they're from a completely different graphic style.

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Maybe we can get generator parts that match the RTP as DLC...

einlanzer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, while I'm not an enormous fan of the style and lack of options, I love that they aren't jarringly different like they were in ACE.

Kistulot

Easily Distracted Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Honestly as it is right now the pregenned assets can't weigh up against the fact that i can have my characters emote with the custom facesets. That is such an amazing option. We need new parts to make that better, of course, but that's more of a wishlist than to claim as it is is broken. Really, I've spent at least five hours buried in the character generator. It is amazing!

Liak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Heh, that's pretty awesome, Ramiro! :) I'm sure many people will make good use of it!

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I noticed the differences, but they are still much closer than the Ace gen was. In fact... I'm with Ms Scaryfish; overall they look fairly similar. But I also know that I have a terrible eye for determining that two art styles are different enough to "clash", so eh.

As to the .json files that Ramiro is uploading... I don't quite get how to use those? In the generator, using "Import Settings", I can choose a file that I had previously made and saved, and it loads up fine. But choosing one of the actor .json files that Ramiro uploaded causes absolutely nothing to happen. I assume I am missing something with how to use these?

KisaiTenshi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed the differences, but they are still much closer than the Ace gen was. In fact... I'm with Ms Scaryfish; overall they look fairly similar. But I also know that I have a terrible eye for determining that two art styles are different enough to "clash", so eh.

As to the .json files that Ramiro is uploading... I don't quite get how to use those? In the generator, using "Import Settings", I can choose a file that I had previously made and saved, and it loads up fine. But choosing one of the actor .json files that Ramiro uploaded causes absolutely nothing to happen. I assume I am missing something with how to use these?
You still need to export the images to use them. The import/export of the character itself is so you don't need to remake it from scratch again.

Shyngo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, I'd certainly pay for an expansion of the clothing and accessories. I felt like I had more freedom with VXAce's character generator. However, these are better quality and the fact that you can make all these faces and battler sprites to boot only sweetens the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

C Frost

Level 51 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I forgot to touch on this in my previous post, but as several others have said, I would absolutely love to see expansions to the generator that add more variety and choices to the available parts, more options for making facesets for a single character to show a range of expressions, etc. I'd definitely pay for good generator part sets!

You still need to export the images to use them. The import/export of the character itself is so you don't need to remake it from scratch again.
I meant to say "Load Settings", not "Import settings" in my previous post, as that is the actual name of the button I was referring to. But regardless of that - I think you might have misunderstood my question? I understand you have to export images in order to actually assign them to your Actors. I'm asking about Ramiro's uploads. I have an "actor1-6.json" file, uploaded by Ramiro, and I have no idea what to do with it.

Does it have anything to do with the "Import" function? Which, I have to admit, has me completely mystified; I have no idea what it does or how it works.

Honestly as it is right now the pregenned assets can't weigh up against the fact that i can have my characters emote with the custom facesets. That is such an amazing option. We need new parts to make that better, of course, but that's more of a wishlist than to claim as it is is broken. Really, I've spent at least five hours buried in the character generator. It is amazing!
Yeah, I agree, it is cool being able to do some actual facesets! As you say, it's a bit limited at the moment (i.e. since most of the eye sets look different in terms of eye shape, eyelashes, etc, you couldn't use different eye sets for face images that are supposed to be the same character showing different emotions/expressions), but down the road I'm sure we'll see more parts become available, either from EB/Degica or just from individual artists creating new stuff. And the core of the generator is quite good this time around, and the results much better than Ace's generator (and it's more robust as well, with the creation of battlers too), so I think we will see more emphasis on its use and the creation of new assets for it than we did with Ace.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yes, unless I am missing something, this is my biggest complaint with MV so far.  Say I want to make a burly dude, or an old-looking dude...how do I do this with the generator?  They all have the same basic face of Harold.  The only thing I've found to give anything a different look is the use of beards, but that's still limited (and doesn't even look that different really).   What is the point of a character generator if I can't really make diverse looking chars? To be honest it seems overall worse than Ace's. :(  I really hope that I'm oblivious to some key feature or something.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So the number one complaint I get so far is the levels are simply too large. What's funny is in testing I deemed levels taking too long and actually shortened them. Figuring I could beat them in 5-6 minutes so players would be able to do so in probably double that. I was apparently very mistaken, only one player has mentioned even reaching the second area. Let alone the first boss. :kaoswt:
I don't believe it. I actually did some proofreading in my game - and fixed some grammar errors! I feel so accomplished, knowing I can actually proofread my own writing!
...I've had a bad day, okay? Bad enough for me to want to proofread stuff. :yswt2:
Ughhh, July is not my month. Thankfully, it's nearly done.
mercba30 wrote on Jesse - PVGames's profile.
How do I get the new version of the character creator? Thank you in advance!

I fixed the lips and noses for MZ! The files have been updated.
qQwgk8C.png

Everything below!
Ugh, I opened MV after a few weeks and I'm completely lost on what I was working on.
Does it happen to someone else or am I the only disorganized one around? :kaoswt:
xH5Fk2f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProjectElpizo