<Generic Title here> So - I want to make games! :3

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by codemonkeyalx, Aug 4, 2014.

1. codemonkeyalx

codemonkeyalx Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello all!~

I am actually rather excited to be here. So how did I get here?

My friend picked up VX Ace while it was on humble bundle for me.

Sucks being between paychecks really. Its usually when the most epic stuff happens.

Anyway, I dabbled a little bit in RPGMaker VX Ace when I got it and I dropped it for a while.

Not because I did not like it. I love it its a way to quickly feel like you are getting somewhere. - Who does not love being able to do that?

I was tied up in Android app development and I could not really sit down with anything else to the point that I could learn it effectively.

Either way I wanted to make myself known. 

I have goals I hope to accomplish with this software.

I have ideas that it would be good to see come to fruition. 

A kind of middle ages style zombie survival RPG.

I have one a friend of mine and I were fleshing out a while back that now that I have the software for I can easily make real. 

One that if you die you come back to life as a different type of being. Be it an animal or a demon or some other idea but that will take some time to build. 

Just vague ideas I have that seem like they would be cool. But for now while I am learning I'll be sticking to basics like "Go get this item and fight the boss." 

No one says they cant be fun. :3 

Anyway I am glad I have the opportunity to be part of this community and I hope to find a home here :)  

-Alx 

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  2. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome to the forums!  Always good to see new faces here.

Allow me to introduce myself:

I'm Tai_MT, resident jerkface.  You'll probably at some point find yourself on the opposite end of an argument from me, so just a heads up.  Almost everyone does!

That being said, I hope you enjoy your stay here and get to know a lot of the members of the community.  Almost everyone is really nice and exceptionally helpful.  It's honestly one of the best communities on the internet (in my experience anyway).  See ya around and happy programming!

codemonkeyalx likes this.
  3. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Best of luck. It is definitely challenging and rewarding to make a game. Definitely ask for feedback on maps and look at the tutorials such as the sample maps.

4. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Welcome to the forum.Let me introduce myself :

I'm Ultim1337Gamer.The Epic Rainbow-Spewing Godzilla.Or Nyanzilla.Hope you'll enjoy your stay here !

5. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, your introduction was too generic, you're not allowed here anymore.

Just kidding... your game sounds awesome in concept. You're also an android game developer, it sounds like, so you must be good at programming. Hopefully you can script up a storm and provide us something we've never seen before! Which would be awesome. Either way - respect. Feel welcome here. Don't hesitate to stretch yourself out on a dilapidated couch and take a nap... we'll try not to disturb you.

6. codemonkeyalx

First Language:
    English
    I actually have yet to tinker in android game development. One day I will I would hope to see my games stretch into mobile. I focus mainly on personal safety things. I just got done with revision 2 of my app so all I need to do is check of bugs and optimize things to make it function better but as is we have something marketable. 

Thanks for the kind words :3 

Also Nyanzilla for the win! 

7. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome to the group!

8. Bitterbug

Bitterbug Nami-Swaaan~ Member

First Language:
    English
    Welcome to the forums! 

I considered making a zombie-styled RPG when I was brainstorming ideas about what concept I'd approach for my first 'proper' RPG Maker Project. I think the concept, if tackled correctly, would be awesome! I'll be keeping an eye out for your project. :3

9. whitesphere

First Language:
    English
    There is a rumor that Enterbrain is trying out some unknown means of porting RPG Maker games to other platforms like Android.  One of the prizes of the game maker contest that took place from June to July 1 was an early chance to have their game worked with them on the porting effort.

So keep your eyes peeled.  

10. codemonkeyalx

First Language:
    English
    I like that idea! :3 - I hope they add it as a feature of VX Ace or at least an extension. 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  11. whitesphere

First Language:
    English
    I don't work for Enterbrain so I have no official knowledge.  But, if I had such a technology ready for prime time, I would market it as a separate application.  

Sort of like "Game Character Hub".  That is an incredibly useful tool for making RPGs, but is a separate tool and sold separately.  In case you were curious, that tool allows you to stack layers of pre-created pieces together to create face portraits and animated character sprites.  The big plus for me over, say, the built-in character maker in VX Ace is you can save the layout to modify later, and you can have the tool automatically create lots of sets of characters or portraits by varying the colors of the pieces.

12. codemonkeyalx

First Language:
    English
    I ended up getting the full bundle when it came time to get it. So I have RPGMaker XP - VX Ace - Character Creator Hub.

I would gladly pay extra to get a hold of the ability to make RPG's on phones - Specifically Android.

Not to mention unless you are Square Enix or a few others the RPG Market I feel is lacking.

There are no truly awesome innovative ideas going around the play store.

I also feel that the option to have RPG's on mobile will serve to spawn a new love for the genre. 

13. whitesphere

First Language:
    English
    I think whether or not it spawns a new love for the genre depends on the quality of the games released.  Right now, there are some players who have a great deal of hate for games built using RPG Maker.  There's an entire thread called "Why is the RPG Maker name so hated?"

The nutshell seems to be:  Some amateur developers released RPG Maker games which had severe problems (game-breaking bugs, serious spelling/grammar errors, poor quality maps, poorly told story, etc) and players who experienced those may have associated all RPG Maker games with that, even though I'm sure a lot of developers put a great deal of work into their games.

14. codemonkeyalx

First Language:
    English
    Understandably so. I guess in a way its something un-avoidable. A year ago I would not have even taken a second look at RPG Maker because I always figured "Why be limited to just one genre.." But it came up on humble bundle and I was starting to get really excited about the idea of it. I have a copy of Game Maker Studio but its a little complicated. RPG Maker is just straight forward and in my opinion easier to work with. All the while it keeps up a robust back end that makes things flow and come to life.

I am glad I turned the tables on my thoughts. It saved me from being a hard ass about the subject of game making. Then again I am also talking like I know how to do things inside and out which I dont. 

However, its a much better thing to learn on I feel. 

15. doncht

doncht Villager Member

You'll fit in just right fine here. Welcome.