Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of course we all know that there are mountain tiles, but I wanted to talk about the lack of hill tiles. I have seen people ask around for it before, and there are sparse resources avaliable for it. I myself have tried my hand at tiny mounds and I know PandaMaru made some goregous cliff sides, but I am talking about simple hills. Not grand cliffs.

Has anyone else ran across this desire for maps with little mounds to rolling hills and what have you tried to create this effect? Did you parallax map? Did you create reuseable tiles? Either hills or shadows? Did it work for you? Would you do it again?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just for the sake of clarity - are you talking about world map tiles or area tiles?

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, area tiles @Kes. Sorry I thought I was clear about that. Apparently not, my bad.:ptea:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not a problem, I just wanted to be sure.

Here is a screenshot of a bit of a map showing how I've tried tackling this in previous games. As you can see, it's a mixture of cliff tiles one tile high, and some half a tile high (bottom centre) with slopes (top left of centre). The idea is to try and give the impression of small changes which never come to anything much. Quite a faff and not, imo, completely successful, but better than doing everything 1 tile high. I'm going through the same process at this very moment for my current project.

screenie.png

I'd love for someone to come up with something better.

Last edited:

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is very cute, Kes. And I see what you mean by one tile high and some at half a tile high. I have completely overlooked using half tile high assests in my current project.

EDIT:

I should add my own example since I started this thread. So I've attached an example of some small rolling hills I edited using a darkening and highlighting tool in Photoshop out of the grass. Unfortunately, this means that I can only use this hills in very specific situations. In the image below, I used them as grave markers. If I wanted larger ones I would have to make additional hills of varying sizes, which would eat up a lot of Tile E in no time.

Graveyard.PNG

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would have to make additional hills of varying sizes, which would eat up a lot of Tile E in no time
I'm just wondering how it might go if you made them as e.g. A2 auto tile, adapting perhaps how that 'empty' hill autotile works.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kes, you are amazing. I do not know why I never thought of that before. I always forget about A2 auto tiles! Now I am going to have to give that a try.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is very cute, Kes. And I see what you mean by one tile high and some at half a tile high. I have completely overlooked using half tile high assests in my current project.

EDIT:

I should add my own example since I started this thread. So I've attached an example of some small rolling hills I edited using a darkening and highlighting tool in Photoshop out of the grass. Unfortunately, this means that I can only use this hills in very specific situations. In the image below, I used them as grave markers. If I wanted larger ones I would have to make additional hills of varying sizes, which would eat up a lot of Tile E in no time.

View attachment 242076
That's interesting looking but the perspectives off, I feel like I'm looking at them from the top down rather than isometrically.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I feel like I'm looking at them from the top down rather than isometrically.
I think it might be because the shading continues around the top of the hill. To correct the perspective would just require adjusting that, I think. But I'm not an artist so I could be wrong.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never realized the perspective was off until you mentioned it, @cthulhusquid. In my defense, if I remember correctly, these were very small hills and I imagined the sunlight would hit the top and not just the side. Although, that doesn't line up with the shading on the trees or anything else now that I think about it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

no longer using rm2k3
Don't you hate when you're trying to sleep and suddenly the smoke detector needs batteries? That's exactly what happened to me. Now I'm sluggish and tired after that darn thing started chirping at 11:30 at night. Man I wish I had one of those smart smoke detectors that sends a message to your phone way before it starts chirping.
Interior of a bus, may do more vehicle interiors :kaoswt2:
1670089782219.png
I can hardly believe it is the third day of Christmas and I have yet to put up decorations! Spending my morning cooking breakfast and getting them up.
https://itch.io/s/83641/1-week-sale Do you want a Roguelike game like a turn-based Hades? Get Zodiac Hunters now while it's on sale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottaSpice