German Translation Workshop

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by Padramyr, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Padramyr

Padramyr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Ever wished that your games could be translated into other languages? English is one of the most spoken languages in the world and a lot of people in other countries will understand (most) of your game. But what about all those people that don't speak English well enough? Don't worry, I'm here to help ... at least for one language!

What exactly am I offering? What are the rules?
    This is kind of self explanatory. I offer to translate your game or parts of your game into German. If you translated it yourself I can also proofread it to eliminate any mistakes.
    You only need some sentences translated, like your Terms of Use? I can help with that too, of course.

But there are some rules you should be aware of:​
    • If you see that my current workload is full, you still can request help. But you will have to wait until the current works are done.
    • I need a text file or something similar with all texts that need to be translated. This includes conversations as well as terms (like "Attack") or names.
    • How long it takes to complete a request depends on the amount of text that needs to be translated. Because of that I can't give you exact information about the time.
    • Your game should be in an approriate state. If you just started making your game, I won't translate that as I don't want to work on games that won't be published anytime soon. If your game or a demo of it will be published soon (or has already been published) you can request help.
      • Of course, this only applies on games. If you want something else translated this rule doesn't apply.
    • It doesn't matter if the request is for commercial or non-commercial use. But you need to credit me for the translation.
    • Please use the request template provided at the end of this post.
    • I have the right to refuse any request.
    One last thing to note: If you want help during your development, rule #4 still applies. When your demo is ready for release I can help you with translating for the rest of your development. This way you would have the translations ready as soon as the game is finished and don't have to wait for the translations. If you want more information on this or want to request this kind of help you can send me a PM.

Why should I translate my game?
    There are some reasons to consider a translation for your game. First of all, not all people can speak English or maybe they're not good enough to understand everything. If you want those people to play your game as well you should consider a translation.
    For example, in the former eastern Germany people were taught Russian instead of English so a lot of older people can't even speak English. And even though English is taught to everyone in school now there are still many people that don't speak English good enough.

Another important thing: People are lazy. Even if one can understand English most people still prefer their native language as it is more convenient and immersive. They're used to reading German and are more willing to play your game if they can follow that habit.

Current workload

- Free -
    - Free -
    - Free -

Request template
    • Translation Type: [Full game, Demo, Terms of Use, Proofreading, Other]
    • Extra Info: [List extra information that could be useful, especially if you chose "Other" for the translation type]
    • Project info: [You should have a thread/page for your game and link it here]
    After you've send a request I will check out your project and write you a PM to discuss details.

That's all for now, folks! I'll be happy to provide you with translations :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Henryetha and Eliaquim like this.
  2. Eliaquim

Eliaquim Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese - Br
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! I was thinking to do the same thing but to offer a translate to English to Portuguese(BR).

Congratulations for the initiative!

If I can finish my game, I will definitely make a request ^^

Padramyr likes this.
  3. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Nice! I've also been thinking about offering translations, but hesitated (not enough time to provide the results, people would deserve).

And I actually already wanted to have one of my finished games to be translated into German, but also hadn't time.
    However, as I'm a native speaker myself, I don't want to take away free spots, a non-native speaker would definitely rather need than me ^^

So, good luck and best of success with your workshop! <3

And for anyone else reading here:
    It's very worth, considering a German localization - especially for story-rich games.
    One reason (which applies especially to the older generation) is, that in the former eastern germany (DDR) people were tought Russian at school rather than English.
    Also many (if not the majority) of german people generally prefer a game in German, even tho they know English. Many are just used to it and find it more convenient and immersive.

Eliaquim and Padramyr like this.
  4. Padramyr

Padramyr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks to both of you :)

@Henryetha If you need help with the translation due to lacking time you could still hit me up. As long as I don't have other people asking I've got enough free time. If you ever have enough free time and still want to offer your translation services it may be possible to cooperate to offer more translation spots. I also wrote @Eliaquim a message and asked if he would want to cooperate with offering different languages^^
    And you gave me an idea with your post. Maybe it would be wise to include your last paragraph in my first post to show people why they should get their game translated - and extend the reasons :D

Henryetha and Eliaquim like this.