Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
 ​
 "...Eons before recorded history began, in the days following the Maker’s birthing of the universe, the Allfather did create man to tame the land, and the Gepensts to guard man and guide him through the Everafter.

When man’s hubris and power led him to violate the Everafter while he yet lived, poisoning the holy after life in pursuit of power, the Gespensts forsake their inherent task, for they realized they could not guide man, only contain him.

They sealed those responsible under the wall that never bent, and watched the innocent to guide his way..."

- Amisad Lowel, the World Records

Welcome to GESPENT, a classic-style JRPG. You know, I always liked these games, and i also always prefer JRPG's to WRPG's for their colorful characters, creative designs and strategic battle systems. So I am not trying to make something action-related, or RTS, or a rhytm game or something... No, what I want to make is what Maker exists for. But please, don't expect a clichéd by the book JRPG, no. I am fixing what I feel is wrong with that genre (and please don't come to my door with burning pitchforks for not liking some classic JRPG elements like overobundance of grinding and random encounters). I just want to make a game which I, and by extent you all, can play and have fun with.

The game is free and open, you can get all resources from it w/o my permission and do everything you want with it. 

Well, that was kinda jousy, wasn't it? I'm not very good at those "intro" things. Let me just to map out the features that await you in the upcoming game and in the demo itself:

Features:
 ​
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

- Sideview battle system with animated battlers. Most battles depends on smart use of skills and states, you can rarely win even small battles by mashing that enter.- A LOT of custom graphics: nearly all battlers, charsets and icons are custom. Also busts! Yeah, and cut-ins too!

- Unique characters. Both personality and gameplay wise. There is no clones, and each party member plays differently.

- A lot of unique abilities. Again, no ability clones. 

- No random encounters. All enemies are visible and behave differently.[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Upcoming features:
 ​
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

- Streamlined level gain: your party gains levels, not character. But-- Unorthodox ability learning system: Skill Web. Inspiration comes from FF X's sphere grid, but you are free to go. You will gain points by doing certain things with certain characters, and you can use those to move trough the grid. Once you learn a basic ability, you will get a card, with which you can later fill the empty space of other character's Skill Web in order for that character to learn it.

- Branching, route-based storyline with multiple endings.[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Game shall be released in episodic format.

KNOWN BUGS:
 ​

These are bugs we know about. If any of you can fix them - we'll be eternally grateful.- Weird death: character die weirdly when killed by refleced damage or slip damage. Something to do with CAN_COLLAPSE. People are looking into it, but if they'll fail to fix it, i will remove all slip damage states.

- Double pop: if Slip HP and slip MP are afflicted simultaneousely, clone of Slip Mp indicator will appear and will kinda stand there for a while.

- Sometime character's "Limit Break" will not empty the gauge and can be used many times over. Causes and solutions are currently unknown. 

People and gratitudes:
Indimion & Hosse for their amazing music.
undergroundjin & LexusX For their outstanding animations
cavemanRen310Cornered Cosmos & Anthyny Murphy for testing.

Characters:
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Unit 8: Daughter of Unit 1 and educated in a prestigious academy, Unit 8 displays high marks in close combat and magical vitality aptitudes.

​
Unit 17: Though technically a failed prototype of a the theoretical next-gen warrior, the mutations he retains from that, although rendering him blind and mute, did make for an extremely strong individual. Hence why he was spared extermination and moved to further tests and field operations, pending further investigation.

​
Unit 27: Despite his lowborn caste, Unit 27 scored such high marks due to his great intelligence that he was brought into the research field regarding sonic technology. Recommend keeping a close eye on his, for though he is a titanic asset, he remains overly sympathetic to the plight of the lower castes. 

Screenshots: 

​
 ​

Last edited by a moderator:

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a VERY interesting looking game, though I would have liked to know more about the game's plot itself. Nonetheless, iIt has piqued my curiosity enough to download it.

Good luck with this :)

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I've been working with the developer for sometime, and I recommend playing through the Gespenst demo. It has a good solid strategy and characters full of personality.

Go on give it a try you won't regret it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Played it through, no game stopping bugs that I found. Just a couple suggestions that I have here:

-Unit 17 missed on every attack, unless I used a skill. I know he is explained to be blind, but that came after the first couple fights for me. Maybe add that in sooner?

-Was I supposed to find that item that does 99% of max HP to all enemies? That made the last two fights a breeze.

-No idea why unit 27 lost 10% of their HP after I used a skill. If that is the way the character is set up, maybe explain that somewhere?

-I hope random fights aren't going to give 1 or 0 EXP in the final game. As it is, I dodged all of them that I could as there was no point in doing them.

-Maybe not end the demo with a Game Over screen? You could put a message that says this is the end of the demo, thanks for playing, then just do return to title? I know VX Ace allows you to return to title, I imagine XP has the same option too.

-Consider a font that native Window machines can use. I only had missing text on the title screen, but if it is not native to Windows some of your players will not be able to legally acquire the font.

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
-Unit 17 missed on every attack, unless I used a skill. I know he is explained to be blind, but that came after the first couple fights for me. Maybe add that in sooner?
Spider Sight removes his blindness, but drains MP. I did it trough common events and sometimes i indeed find blindness disappearing for some reason. Causes and solutions are currently unknown

-Was I supposed to find that item that does 99% of max HP to all enemies? That made the last two fights a breeze.
THat was a hidden item for testers and myself. I believe i have placed the itemgiver into a wall though...

-No idea why unit 27 lost 10% of their HP after I used a skill. If that is the way the character is set up, maybe explain that somewhere?
27? Not 8? I dunno, only 8 have a skill that uses HP as cost... All skills of 27 has no cost... Can you tell me the circuimstances under which that's occured?

-I hope random fights aren't going to give 1 or 0 EXP in the final game. As it is, I dodged all of them that I could as there was no point in doing them.
They give you items. Yes, i know they are pretty much pointless otherwise, but there is no point for these characters to gain levels in there. I will change experience system in final release though.

-Maybe not end the demo with a Game Over screen? You could put a message that says this is the end of the demo, thanks for playing, then just do return to title? I know VX Ace allows you to return to title, I imagine XP has the same option too.
I decided to go a little unorthodox :D Or i was just lazy :D

-Consider a font that native Window machines can use. I only had missing text on the title screen, but if it is not native to Windows some of your players will not be able to legally acquire the font.
Well i dunno, i set Arial Black as a font on title screen... isn't it windows default one?

Overall, tank you for feedback, you've adressed some problems that needs to be fixed!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
27? Not 8? I dunno, only 8 have a skill that uses HP as cost... All skills of 27 has no cost... Can you tell me the circuimstances under which that's occured?
I'm pretty sure it was 27. The skills were at no cost, but afterwards I always lost 10% of my HP at the start of the next turn. It was like it was inflicting me with poison afterwards or something when I used the skill.

I figured as high level as I was in that opening area the low EXP was deliberate (and I've seen some games do 0 EXP in those kind of areas).

Hmmmm....not sure, all I know is I had a blank title screen and I was told to add a font by another person. Weird. Maybe at this point just see if others have this issue?

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Hmmmm....not sure, all I know is I had a blank title screen and I was told to add a font by another person. Weird. Maybe at this point just see if others have this issue?
One of my testers did, but only one, so i didn't paid enough attention to that problem. I though he lacked Arial Black on his machine.. Huh, i guess i will revert title screen script to it's default state and just move away the window. I also added a fog there, bu it's kinda irrelevant and almost invisible, so i guess it can go.

Anthyny

Mantis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This project is pretty well put together as I would've expected from you.

Here's an official review after playing it though.

-- First and foremost, the way you ended it left me bitter. Lol --

The mapping is solid, and even though the "Hey follow me" idea is obvious its relatively easy to get distracted with the small little details of the temple (I believe they said temple, although I get a pretty heavy sewer vibe from it)

The immersion is pretty strong with everything as well with the customized character sprites for actions instead of the usual "jump and spin" that other RM games use. The monster sprites that are wandering about also add a very nice touch and is nice in giving you a notice on what baddie you'll be facing if it gets ya, helps with planning as well since the game is a tad on the harder side for an introduction for anyone that doesn't know how to think. (So you've kept that promise about not being able to just press enter, which is nice. Lol)

Dialogue is a bit rough around the edges, but pretty enjoyable for the most part.

- I was pretty pleased to find out that Unit 8 was a girl. The tough image that she portrays like she has something to prove is all right, but it gets better as you progress as she seems to .. loosen up a bit. I grinned when she got grossed out after stepping in the slime after trying to sound like a badass.

- Unit 27 was all right, but he annoyed me mostly at his self-martyrdom. I suppose that is the point of his personality though, which means he's doing his mob

- Unit 17 was a bit boring, I suppose he doesn't get much of a chance to show off who he is though in the time frame of the demo.

Music is nicely composed by whoever you said had done it for you. The boss themes didn't make the fights seem like they were... boss fights though. A bit too light hearted. Battle theme seems well suited though.

Gameplay is rough at first. I suppose you do learn best when you have to read and try everything on your own at first, but I can see how this might be a bit frustrating for more casual players that try it. The skills do mostly have their uses, but as with all games, the ones that shine show up relatively quickly.

- Unit 17 was used mainly as a Healer since his speed let him go first in the turn order, also since his other skills and attack tended to miss even with Spider Sight activated

- Unit 8 spammed Charge to shockbolt and her magic since they always landed and did high damage

- Unity 27 just kinda spammed CC moves that would miss alot or was used as a meatshield really. He could be used as back up damage though after Calibrating.

Outside of battle the game plays like a normal jrpg does though as of now it seems.

-- Aside from that here are a few things of note to possibly look at/improve though

A few grammar/dialogue mistakes. These hit me pretty hard when I see them, even small ones.

Skill descriptions for commands that have their own command section in battle. (Charge, Calibrate, Spider Sight)

Full screen frequency skills are off by a few pixels to the left, leaving uncovered screen.

The characters on the save screen are facing different directions, not a big deal though.

Unit 17's damage taken when reflected back at him seems to be much higher then the other two.

That blue guy in the hallway confused me for awhile. I saw that he gave the 99% damage items later though after staring at him for a few minutes.

Unit 17's skill "KILL!" crashes the game.

The title screen menu font doesn't show up

The "Onlooker" enemies - Still haven't figured out what they do. lol

Even with the few bugs I found, I would definitely give the game a whole play through once it was released.

Also for anyone else that plays this you'll know what I mean by this

"F**K" 

Lol. Good game, can definitely see work was put into it.

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
(I believe they said temple, although I get a pretty heavy sewer vibe from it)
Perhaps because i re-purpoused sewer tileset for it? :D

A few grammar/dialogue mistakes. These hit me pretty hard when I see them, even small ones.
Ya, my current editor works very slowly. i mean VERY slowly. So slow that i decided to not let him check all dialogues. I will look for few extra editors soon.

Skill descriptions for commands that have their own command section in battle. (Charge, Calibrate, Spider Sight)
These exist in the menu (btw you can calibrate and toggle spider sight in menu), i doubt there is any way to do that in battles with that script i used to even get different skill categories.

Full screen frequency skills are off by a few pixels to the left, leaving uncovered screen.
These are pretty butt-hurty to fix, but i'll do so :D

The characters on the save screen are facing different directions, not a big deal though
Ya, I tried to look for custom save...menu... script thingie, but found nothing. I'll be looking more though Or call somebody to aid me in it.

Unit 17's damage taken when reflected back at him seems to be much higher then the other two.
Hm, perhaps because he has highest attack of the group? It reflects ALL damage you deal, so...

That blue guy in the hallway confused me for awhile. I saw that he gave the 99% damage items later though after staring at him for a few minutes.
So i DID forgot to put him into wall in this version. Lal. I was pretty sure i did put him.

Unit 17's skill "KILL!" crashes the game.
Y i found it not too long ago. Cuz it uses animation i accidently removed

The title screen menu font doesn't show up
What, you too?! Okay, i will be fixing that for sure now.

The "Onlooker" enemies - Still haven't figured out what they do. lol
In random battles they just gather information. In golem battles they are buffing golems and then gathering info (It does nothing btw). And it's the same onlooker, just escaping. In Defence System battle you can "kill" it, and i am pretty sure that it annoyed you with it's mass debuffs.

Overall, thanks a lot :D I hope you'll be able to fix those split damage bugs soon ^_^

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Finished the game, and i must say, even if it was just a demo, that is one of the best i have played. And believe me, i have played lots of RPG Maker games, being my favorite Dhux's Scar, and i see this game somehow reminds me of it. I don't know, maybe it's the dark thematic, or the constant fights between characters. You, sir, have a great game in your hands, and i hope much of it in the future. 

Said that, let's review it:

Maps and Ambience: was pretty good overall, though i wasn't able to see that much because the only playable map is, well, the temple. It's just a demo, obviously, so this is not a bad thing. The ambience fits the game perfectly, and it's simple, you barely used a fog and a screen tone, but that's just it. I love how you keep everything simple in this game, and still manage to make it awesome. 

The temple has it's own personality, and that personality is your own artist touch, which is excellent. Not much else to say in this area.

Characters: oh boy, this is the second best thing about the game. You complete this area with a 10/10, just as a JRPG must do! The characters were well defined, you didn't overused curse words, you just used it when it was necessary and you did it well. You made Unit8 and Unit27 interact with each other through the game, and that was a really important thing as you managed to make the characters feel alive. Of course, Unit17 didn't said a single word in the game, but it's perfectly justified. However, even if he didn't said a single thing, he is my favorite character, just because he is a badass. Who doesn't like badass characters? I portrait him as the cool guy, that seems cold but would sacrifice for his team if necessary, that also have a huge power in his hands. My second favorite character was Unit27. I like Unit8 as well, but not my favorite haha.

Gameplay: Well, battles were really cool i must admit. The skills were simple but functional, all of them, and was pretty balanced (note that i played it in hard mode). I didn't felt something was unfair, not even that "mana beam" (it hurts a lot xD). The only thing here, as it has been mentioned before, is the onlooker. It's... unfun, and somewhat annoying. It doesn't attack, every basic attack towards him results in an evade, no skills can hurt him, only the frequency from Unit27, and has a reasonable high HP. If you want the onlooker to be the "enemy that buff his allies", better make him either weak, or remove that "always evade" feature that he has, because trust me, is annoying xD. That's just my opinion tho.

Story:

oh dear... oooh my god. Dude, i almost cry, for real. It was so sad, and it got even more sad when i understood that all the dark king, which is the dragon that "attacked" the group, wanted is to PROTECT them and NOT to hurt them. It was a true tragedy. In one hand, i understand that his seek for power led him to that, but in the other hand i feel very sorry for him, because all he wanted is to make his wife and daughter happy, but got tricked by Fafnir.
I truly hope that you keep working on this, i will be aware of this thread for updates. Keep it up, de la Ĉefo. This is gold.

Edit: woops, forgot something that i always do, the rating part. Blah, nevermind, this game is a 10/10 dude. 

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Pink GuyThankee :D I did what i could. Dialogues are still bit on a rough side and there are numerous bugs everywhere, so the demo doesn't quite deserve the perfect score, but thank you anyway :D And as for thread upgrades, i shall be posting info about new battle system soon. And perhapse will release battle-only tech demo to show it's workings

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Just finished playing the demo. I must say, this game was fantabulous. This is one of the few, very few, RM games I actually use strategy in the battles for. Usually I mash "Attack" all through battles, but this game, I loved how each character had their own attack and skill types. One thing I noticed was that Unit 17 was ineffective in battle (people who played the game will know). When I later found out why, it made me change up my strategy. I really liked this mechanic. Good job. :D Those Onlookers. I loved them. I never got to kill one, they simply fled the battle. As said above, I don't know the purpose of them but I just like them.

Overall, the characters were great and the story is pretty good, too. I like how the world is already established and the player has to piece it together from what the characters say. I liked how the game is straight to action. No long walls of text.

I want more. :D

Harmill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I played through the entire demo, but the game crashed with a popup about not having a gameover graphic. Reading the comments from others, I take that the gameover screen was meant to be the end of the demo. Anyways, here's my feedback:

• I enjoyed the immediate tension created between Unit 8 and Unit 27, but I did feel like that entire conversation lasted a bit too long (I was getting bored at the end of their fight) and it felt weird to me that they would spend that much time arguing when they had an important mission to do. I don't know the nature of the temple, but it didn't seem like a good location for them to break into an argument (I imagine that they weren't keeping their voices down while arguing).
  • Overall, I liked the dialogue and the characters - I really like that you went for tension between the two party members. Unit 17 has a cool aura around him despite never talking. I felt sorry for him when Unit 8 admits that he's a failed model when he's right beside him.
  • The dark king's backstory was interesting, and I did feel for him to some degree. The way he talks about getting the power doesn't sell me that he wants that power to protect though. He sounds way too dangerous if his motivation was truly to protect his family (I understand it's meant to be the temptation of power "corrupting" him ala Boromir and the Ring but it's too early and too little time within the game to convince me of this setup). 
  • The custom graphics are really nice and definitely give the game a good sense of polish. I like how unconventional Unit 27's design is, as I don't really see overweight characters in RPGs.
  • It was a shame that there were no EXP rewards for battles because it instantly killed my desire to fight. I tried to avoid every touch encounter I could because I did not see any benefit to doing so. You said in one of your posts that one reward is that you get items but that's only really a reward if I "spend" less HP/MP in the fight than what that healing item restores.
  • I like the battle mechanics and how each character has a different "unique" move that interacts with their core kit. I don't know if it's possible, or if you even want to, but I would suggest not forcing Unit 8's charges to be consumed if the ability misses. It is frustrating as a player to spend 3 turns building a 3-level charge only to then miss with the ability and lose all 3 charges.
  • There are a lot of abilities given to me right from the get go, and I felt a little overwhelmed with so many choices. For example, with Unit 27 I would be unsure as to whether I should risk inflicting Stun, or instead opting for Blind, or simply to use damage because before I get a feel for the game, I have no idea how much damage his abilities even do relative to his normal attack or even relative to the other two character's damage output. In the end, I mostly had Unit 27 calibrate and then use his damaging move to hit all enemies, especially since this was one of the few abilities that would actually hit those Onlooker enemies. In the fight with Fenrir, I blinded him and inflicted Wound and he went down very easily, so I felt rewarded for using status ailments when I used them.
  • I did not feel like activating Spider Sight was ever useful for Agent 17. It drained something like 58 MP per turn, and all it does is lets his normal attacks hit. His normal attacks did roughly 250-300 damage for me, and I always found it more cost effective to spend 85 MP to use Slash, which did around 750 damage. And then you compare that damage output to Unit 8, and he seems extremely weak. Unit 8's normal attack (no cost) would do around 300-350 per hit for a total of 600-700 damage. For free. That's pretty much the same damage that Agent 17 did, except Agent 17 has to use 85 MP to do so. On the other hand, Agent 17's "Limit Break" is crazy strong compared to the other two's Limit Breaks. To the point that I feel like boss fights are going to have too much emphasis on Limit Breaks to dish out damage.
  • My respect for Unit 8 dropped when she dismissed that alarm system so casually only to... trigger the alarm. It made her seem very foolish and incompetent and I just liked her a lot less after that scene. Maybe that was your intent.
It's a good demo, and it shows a lot of promise. There is obvious care and polish put into this project!

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Thank you all for feedback :D I will try to fix most of appointed stuff. Also i am changing core battle system to make it more unique and adding a new feature i'd like to call "A Gespenst Stand"

First - battle system itself:

- Mp is capped at 999 at all characters. Mp cost on skills and magic is decreased as a result. 

- "Attack" command is removed and replaced by a command provided by equipped weapon, i.e if, say, ******* Sword is equipped - command will be "Slash", and if a gun will be equipped - command shall be "Shot". These commands are actually a skill, some with additional effects. It is made this way for enemies to be able to use certain weapon's attributes like added state (which is not possible on RPG maker XP engine). There will be strategic attack-skills as well, for example attack-skill Wild Swing is powerful but have a low accuracy and Impale ignores enemy armor.

- Three "elements" of physical attack - Slash, Pierce and Bash. In addition, somewhat of an element - Projectile, to which cetin enemies are week to. (By the ay, unit's 17's "Slash!" Skill has projectile property. And never misses. And the onlooker is weak to projectiles...

In adition to beforementioned actions, there will be total of 8 actions in that order:

1) Attack-skill (depends on equipped weapon)

2) Character's unique skill/skill set. Sometimes 2 with one as a usable command (like unit 8 and 27)

3) Magic

4) Skill (damaging physically oriented moves)

5) Tech (technical non-damaging skills. Example: Last Resort - doubles user's ATK and nulls DEF)

6) Mind (magic-orienting technical skills. Example: Disenchant - removes all positive buffs from one enemy)

7) Defend

8) Item

This concludes core battle system. Actions from 4) to 6) shall be learned by FFX - like leveling system i'd like to call "Skill Web", which is still in developement.

Now for The Gespenst Stand.

Along your journey you will find friendly Gespensts, which may give you a Relic of theirs which will allow you to summon them for a limited time. Now this feature has 2... modes, i guess?

1) Battle - if character has gespensts' relic equipped in their relic slot, they may !Summon that gespenst once in a battle. When summoned, gespenst will float behind their summoner for a limited amount of turns, performing certain skills. These skills require no imput from the player. It's essencially an invincible guest party member. Also, while gespenst persist, the summoner gains boost in one of following stats:

For Fire gespensts - STR

For Water gespensts - INT

For Earth gespensts - RES

For Wood gespensts - AGI

For Metal gespensts - DEF

By summoning a gespenst in battle player shall accamulate Bond Points with said gespenst.

2) Field. Player can summon a gespenst on a field to strike a conversation with them. There is where Bond Points come into play. If player has enough BP - their Bond Level with that gespenst will rise, unlocking new skills for gespenst to use in battle and increasing amount of turns it can persist. It is a responce - based conversation and choosing right responces may yield player some unique items. Also by maxing Bond Level player will obtain unique piece of equipment. Some quests can be initiated trough those conversation.

Think of it as of persona 4 golden's social links with party members.

In first chapter of the game there will be 5 avaliable gespensts. 2 of them - Yaga and Rakshasa will join mandatorily trough the plot while others - Centaur, Cu Chulainn and the Troll needs to be unlocked.

Here's cut-in art for two mandatory gespensts:

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Woah, those Gespensts are looking really good. The gameplay changes are also nice and interesting, adds more variety. I specially like the addition of "Slash, Pierce and Bash" elements, and how they affect battlers, in fact is an idea i've been thinking of for my games for a long time, but never made it haha.

Good ideas you got there. Hell, I really want to play the full version or if so, the next demo of this. Good job.

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Thanks :D I actually will make a tech demo/open beta of that battle system alone when i'll finish it, cuz i know it will be buggy as hell. It will have only battles and mby a dungeon in it.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there. Saw the game thread and got interested to try it, so here are my thoughts.

I've greatly enjoyed the game in general. It's very promising so far, but there are a few minor issues that draw things back.

First of, the setting is already quite interesting. I've only witnessed one dungeon so far, but I am interested to know more. The story hook is there and the chemistry between characters is fantastic. All 3 of the playable characters so far seem to stand out and have a personality, especially the silent guy.

I like how the battles are done in side view, and those animated battler sprites are really great. I also appreciate that the battles are quite strategic. But there were a few issues with that. Going to go through all my thoughts related to battles below:

- I think HP and MP numbers need to be a big bigger. I can barely see them at the moment, and the bars are too thin as well.

- Victory ME is way way too loud! Like over the top. It startled me every single time.

- I would greatly appreciate some sort of 'Confirm' option once I've assigned actions for all my characters. Sometimes I accidentally pressed the wrong command, and the game began executing the turn, which was kind of annoying.

- Many of the enemy statuses are unclear. Likewise it's almost impossible to tell the nature of your character's attacks and whether enemies will be weak to them or not. Why do some of them miss so often? Why do some of them do very little damage to some enemies? There are like too many states thrown in at the same time and none of them are explained, so some of the time I had to guess and just spam the best attacks. Some of the party commands aren't explained either. What does Spider Sight do? What about Callibrate (does it do anything other than spreading frequencies to all enemies?)

- I do like many of the skill ideas. The limit breaks are executed quite well. I love 'End It!' move. It was a total saviour.

- Main character's charge mechanic is pretty cool, but it's a bit slow and ineffective at the moment. I have to waste a turn to charge just to deal a so-so attack. Even worse, this attack can miss. And even worse yet, some of the enemy states cause you to lose charge. All this makes charging not worth it, so in the latter battles I just stopped using it and just kept spamming the magic skills.

I think it'd be nice to have some kind of 'Heal All' thing in the dungeon. What if the player runs out of all healing items? They'll be unable to progress, to shop, or to even grind.

I found the text in the text box to be appearing a bit slowly, and that sound was a bit jarring. Maybe possible to make it quieter?

That flashback at the end was very interesting. Quite a revelation there about the dark king and very well executed. It seems something really sad happened in the past that is relevant to the present time. I like this. Unfortunately the game crashed for me at the end of that flashback. It said it was missing a 'Gameover' graphic or something.

But yeah, aside from the minor issues, the game seems very interesting and well done. I'll be interested to check out future updates. Great work!

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I gave this a go. Here are the issues I spotted.

First up, mapping. There were only a couple minor issues.
I'll post a screenshot and mark the issues I see in the order they appear

In the very first area of the game, there's a perspective error. The wall is taller on one end of
the chamber than on the other end.

Another perspective error. The elevation changes, but the wall is the same height. An easy fix might be making the lower walls taller.

Same thing here:

Next up, grammar issues. Oh my goodness me, there were plenty.  Now. I know you're not a native
English speaker (and I won't hold that against you) and I applaud you for the advanced vocabulary
in the game. BUT... It's really a good idea for you to have a NATIVE speaker of the language
proofread/correct your dialogues and such.I will list them, and their corrections in the order
they appear ingame.
"It just never hurts to make sure we're all on the same page" Missing a period.

"Oh sod off" missing ending punctuation.

"You'll have to work on fixing on that vocabulary." (take out that "on")

"Hush, hush--t's time to begin" should be "Hush,Hush--it's time to begin"

"We're not going on step further" should be "We're not going one step further"

"So you either telling me your problem," should be "So you either tell me your problem,"

"or I am sticking my hooksword..." (capitalize freestanding I)

"To say nothing of your status as an upper castle halfwit" Sentence fragment... unless Unit 27 is

being interrupted, or is pausing. Then, add a dash or dashes at the end.

"where nobody like me is to play a crusial part of the mission" should be
"where nobody like me is to play a crucial part of the mission"

"Feels bad, isn't it?" should be "Feels bad, doesn't it?"

"I own your ass, if push come shove." should be "I own your ass, if push comes to shove."

"So, keep that mind" should be "So, keep that in mind"

"Someone s " (Lose the "S" at the end)

"I heard that you have some sort of device that will help us to locate the artifact." (Unnecessary

Comma)

"How do I suppose to "cover my ears"?!" should be
"How am I supposed to "cover my ears"?!"

"Did you at leat get the data?" should be "Did you at least get the data?"

"How thehell can you stand it?" (put a space between "the" and "hell" )

"have you ever had the pleasure to experiance" should be "have you ever had the pleasure to

experience"

"A least in so far as my aquantance" should be "A least in so far as my acquaintance ".

After the first battle: "allbeit ones with metal Carapces" should be "albeit ones with metal

carapaces"

"Perhaps i should take..." Capitalize freestanding I.

"Hm, I do wonder" Capitalize freestanding I.

"Or is that bear preventing a sound to leave your mouth?" should be "Or is that beard preventing a

sound from leaving your mouth?"

"Hasn't you been briefed on the matter?" should most likely be "Haven't you been briefed on the

matter?".  I say most likely because that might be unit 8's accent.  But, being brought up regal,

I'm not so sure.

"I am asking big guy over here" Not an error, but, did you possibly mean BUG guy?

"If I'll need your opinion" should be "If I need your opinion"

"Well, i'll have to rewatch my moral goals" should be
"Well, I'll have to rewatch my moral goals"

"... excessively hairy gentlemen, I..."  (Freestanding I)

"All Mod Soldiers I saw..."

"His genes was messed up" should be "His genes were messed up"

"uncapable of speech" Not necessarily an error... but just so you know, either that or "incapable"

are both passable. Just be sure you use one or the other throughout the entire game.

"I think it's a golem. You know what golem is, I hope?" - Capitalize freestanding I's.

"It's not seem to be active rigt now" should be "It doesn't seem to be active right now"

During battle: Humanroot description: "...removes most of negative status effects" should be

"...removes most negative status effects"

"what do you think you doing?" should be "what do you think you're doing?"

"it even have that face thing" should be "it even has that face thing"

Boss Battle: "Remind me why you are has been appointed as leader?" should be "Remind me why you've

been appointed as leader?"
And as Matseb said... The victory music is too loud.
I got a game-breaking bug at game over.

Also, your enemies are far too overpowered for being this early in the game.  And... Argh...
trying to fight those onlookers.  A good rule of thumb is to have a difficulty curve. Yes, even
with different difficulty levels. This makes your game far more fun and far less frustrating. I
was playing on NORMAL difficulty and they were still pretty hard...

And now for the good.

I loved your title screen graphics. Music choice was supurb. Battlers were amazing. The map was
pretty good!  And despite your little grammar issues, your vocabulary was examplary. Very well
done.

Final thoughts:  I'd be lying if I said I had fun trying this game. It was very frustrating, and
even as a strategic battle game, it was still pretty overbearing. Sorry.

A good rule of thumb is that you should always assume that the dumbest possible RPG player will be
playing your game. This way, your game(s) will appeal to a MUCH wider audience.
 I hope you get those errors worked out. I'd personally recommend toning down those monsters or
turning up attacks.

Would I recommend this to a friend?  YES. The game is obviously very well made (just... blindingly
difficult on MEDUIM) and you seem to know what you are doing.
I look forward to seeing how the rest of the game pans out!

Also, just a note: You might want to throw in an advisory warning, since you have swearing. You don't want tender eyes to read cussing. ;)

Well done to you and your team!

Personigo de la Ĉefo

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
First things first: here's new style of battlers, and a battler of main character:

Now, 

Matseb2611Firstly, thank you very much for feedback!

- I think HP and MP numbers need to be a big bigger. I can barely see them at the moment, and the bars are too thin as well.

I have an amazingly horrific time fuxing with battle ui to make it look at least somewhat good. I'll take your advice and remake hp bars, but i having a very bad time with hp and mp numbers, and especially lvl text (have you noticed how small it is? :D ). I think i'll ask some people to fux with part of script which controls those things, cuz douing it myself infuriates me to no end.

- Victory ME is way way too loud! Like over the top. It startled me every single time.

Point taken. I have laptop with limited sound and do not use headphones, this is wy for me it's not loud at all. I'll lover the volume

- I would greatly appreciate some sort of 'Confirm' option once I've assigned actions for all my characters. Sometimes I accidentally pressed the wrong command, and the game began executing the turn, which was kind of annoying.

I afraid that this particular battle system does not have such an option. Since i am in no way knowledgeaable in programming, i can't help it.

- Many of the enemy statuses are unclear. Likewise it's almost impossible to tell the nature of your character's attacks and whether enemies will be weak to them or not. Why do some of them miss so often? Why do some of them do very little damage to some enemies? There are like too many states thrown in at the same time and none of them are explained, so some of the time I had to guess and just spam the best attacks. Some of the party commands aren't explained either. What does Spider Sight do? What about Callibrate (does it do anything other than spreading frequencies to all enemies?)

Well, again, battle system. It's either neat icons or boring text, i chose the former. I a trying to tell the player what states do though. For example, stat decreasers like "rust" have "-ATK" written on the icon. In addition, the icons have a small mini-icon in lowest left corner, they show the type of the state like so:

Purple skull = slip damage (poison, wound, manaburn)

Red crosshair = enchancement of attacks/abilities (charge, calibrate, spider sight)

Blue shield = state has somethiong to do with protection. (deflect, shield, shock barrier)

Crossed red stop circle = disable of some sort/crowd control (seal, stun, blind)

Up arrow and down arrow are self-explanatory.

Unit 17 misses a lot because he is blind. He will not miss naturally if you will use his special skill Spider Sight. In addition, his atk and EVD goes up a bit as well, but this mode drains mana. You can hit enemies w/o Spider Sight with "Slash!" attack, cuz it never misses

Some do little damage to some enemies because some enemies are resistant to some attacks and weak to others. For example, the Onlooker goes down with two "Slash!" attacks, since it is weak to projectiles. Big golems have increased defence, thus making unit 27's sonicboom attack and, again, "Slash!" very effective since they ignore armor.

Callibrate, spider sight and charge are explained in overworld menu. You can toggle both there as well.

Calibrate makes all frequency attacks affect all enemies and enchances the power of sonicboom attack.

- I do like many of the skill ideas. The limit breaks are executed quite well. I love 'End It!' move. It was a total saviour.

By the way current limit break system is glitchy as hell. Sometimes the gauge will be stuck at full, allowing you to spam it. I am currently developing new limit break system

- Main character's charge mechanic is pretty cool, but it's a bit slow and ineffective at the moment. I have to waste a turn to charge just to deal a so-so attack. Even worse, this attack can miss. And even worse yet, some of the enemy states cause you to lose charge. All this makes charging not worth it, so in the latter battles I just stopped using it and just kept spamming the magic skills.

Here's some quick charge tips:

Unit 8 have "risk!" command, which maxes her charges, but costs hp to use and stuns her. You can do 3 things to make it more worth it:

Shock barrier protects against stun. 

Antibody item protects agains all states

Or just heal her stun with slowest character - unit 27. You'll then get instant max charges with only 300 hp loss.

I think it'd be nice to have some kind of 'Heal All' thing in the dungeon. What if the player runs out of all healing items? They'll be unable to progress, to shop, or to even grind.

This was just an intro dungeon. There can be no grinding, but monsters are dropping good healing items after death. In real dungeons player will always have an option to exit the dungeon to heal and try again.

I found the text in the text box to be appearing a bit slowly, and that sound was a bit jarring. Maybe possible to make it quieter?

Again, laptop. I'll lower the volume

And thanks for your suggestions :D I'll make sure to do these things. Thank you for playing :D

Oceaniqo
In the very first area of the game, there's a perspective error. The wall is taller on one end of

the chamber than on the other end.
Good eye. I actually wanted to fix that and forgot :D

Next up, grammar issues. Oh my goodness me, there were plenty.  Now. I know you're not a native
English speaker (and I won't hold that against you) and I applaud you for the advanced vocabulary
in the game. BUT... It's really a good idea for you to have a NATIVE speaker of the language
proofread/correct your dialogues and such.I will list them, and their corrections in the order
they appear ingame.
I have an editor. A very good one. But he works with a pase of injured elderly snail, and i don't have the patience. I doubt that i'll find someone to edit tons of tex in the game for free, so i guess my only choice is to increase my own english level by trial and error.

By the way, million thanks for that scurpulous list of my grammar mistakes! You won't believe how much this is useful to me!

I got a game-breaking bug at game over.
Well yes, i have re-imported everything... except for gamover graphics... And i couldn't see it cuz i didn't lose once cuz i knew what to do :< I have fixed this issue

Also, this is not exactly a game breaking bug :D Since you lose anyway when that happens :p

Also, your enemies are far too overpowered for being this early in the game.  And... Argh...
trying to fight those onlookers.  A good rule of thumb is to have a difficulty curve
How else could i show you my battle system? This is a demo, and i can't stand when demo enemies are motionless two-hit-dead punching bags. They will be easier in real game, but not by much. You still gonna get your ass kicked if you'll f*ck with morgensterns and decide to spam them with physical attacks.

And onlookers are easy when you know what to do. How do you know what to do? Try everything, of course! And the first thing you'll possibly try with unit 17 will prove to be very effective

A good rule of thumb is that you should always assume that the dumbest possible RPG player will be
playing your game.
NO. I will not make my battles such a way so they can be beaten by infant monkeys. I want to make player think. Almost all enemies can be very easily dispached if you know what to do. Ever tried to use fire magic on scarabs? Or electricity on morgensterns? Those skills aren't there for nothing you know.

I can make an easy mode, buuuuut... Eh, why not.

Also, just a note: You might want to throw in an advisory warning, since you have swearing. You don't want tender eyes to read cussing.
What for? This is not exactly the game for mommies to buy for their kids in the supermarket. It's free internet game! Say thanks that there is no porn in it :D

In any way, thank you VERY much, that was very helpful, especially grammar and map issues

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A Game-breaking bug at a game over is STILL A Game-breaking bug, actually. "You lose anyway! :D" isn't a very good excuse.

Also:

How else could i show you my battle system? This is a demo, and i can't stand when demo enemies are motionless two-hit-dead punching bags. They will be easier in real game, but not by much. You still gonna get your ass kicked if you'll f*ck with morgensterns and decide to spam them with physical attacks.

And onlookers are easy when you know what to do. How do you know what to do? Try everything, of course! And the first thing you'll possibly try with unit 17 will prove to be very effective
Even so, it's always good to explain to a player WHAT to do. Assuming a player knows what they're doing or expecting them to follow a certain strategy is just a bit unrealistic. I'm just sayin'!

NO. I will not make my battles such a way so they can be beaten by infant monkeys.
I was talking about myself there, so thanks for comparing me to an infant monkey. Really appreciate that.

I want to make player think. Almost all enemies can be very easily dispatched if you know what to do. Ever tried to use fire magic on scarabs? Or electricity on morgensterns? Those skills aren't there for nothing you know.
Obviously I DIDN'T know what to do, and chances are, almost none of your players will, too. Just drop us a hint! Tell us something about X monsters being weak against Y magic, or something.  Reading this makes me feel like I need to take some kind of Gespenst course! :/

What for? This is not exactly the game for mommies to buy for their kids in the supermarket. It's free internet game! Say thanks that there is no porn in it :D
Well, for one, it makes you look professional. Plain and simple.
For another, different people have different tolerances of language. It's a common courtesy and you will gain more respect that way.

Keep in mind this is just feedback. That's all it is. The second part of your response seemed like you were taking this very personally. A bit of It even felt like an attack. :/

Obviously you don't have to follow any of my recommendations. They're just recommendations. I mean we're all on the same level here. We all want to see eachother succeed in making games that are FUN to play, 'strategy' or no 'strategy'.

Welp. I'm out. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources
Oh look, 12 more free Daz3D models. *adds them to his collection * Yes, the fools... Give it a few months and my collection will be crazy, all without paying a dime. I still have no idea if I'll ever learn the software, but hey... Just in case, these models are quite expensive. In two weeks, they've already given me almost $400 worth of free models. :LZSexcite:
Not easy to find DS resources, is it? I need to make a good compilation thread linking to all the artists that do DS...
Spent a whole evening planning Stats, Animations, Abilities of 24 different weapons.. Only to realize I was just Bloating the Game. In the end i decided to stick with only 6.
Haven’t gotten over a mentor’s promotion. He deserves it, but he was the first person to be nice to me at work. It’s been hard for me to let him go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
critikalseth