Get X/Y position of parallax map as it scrolls?

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all,

Not sure if this should go here or plugin requests, but first I wanted to establish the scope of my situation, and see if a plugin/script would even be necessary.

So, I have a parallax background that has a sky and a sun. The map scrolls horizontally. I would like to make it so that when the sun scrolls to the middle of the map, and the player happens to be standing in that location at the same time, they're illuminated and an event occurs (e.g. it generates a key or unlocks a door).

Is there a way to determine the current x/y position of the parallax background (let's say the position of the edge or something) as it is scrolling? And I could then plug that information into an event switch/condition?

The only other way I could think of to do it would be to create a separate graphic for the sun, set it as an event with a character sprite, and have that scroll independently, but then I'd have to set up warps at the edge of the map so it loops back to the other side, and I'd have to make sure it moves at the same speed as the parallax background.

This might all be possible, and easier than my first suggestion, I just am too novice to know how off the top of my head.

Any help is appreciated!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The title is about getting x and y position of the parallax image, so I suppose I'll move the thread to learning Javascript.

I've moved this thread to Learning Javascript. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

lodger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you - I'm still quite new to RPG Maker, so just want to confirm if my guess is right.

If I wanted an event to occur in reaction to those coordinates being reached by the scrolling background, I could use a Conditional Branch - Script - and plug in that script?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new intro Logo for my videos.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3
2 hours & 20 minutes remaining. :D
...trying to hurry finish up all commissions before I never put the controller down again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YKJordan