Gettin' Organized!!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by PixelHeart, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    People in my life, since way way back in grade school, have always tried to drill into me the importance of being organized, and I'm by no means disagreeing with that. When I was in elementary school they assigned my class mates and I all these kiddie planners that we always wrote down our assignments and upcoming school events in, but it just never caught on with me. My sister will often buy me planners and calendars, hoping that I would put them to use, and I have tried, I really, REALLY have. However, I just cant seem to pick up the habit. I always seem to get too busy, lazy or lost in my thoughts to remember to read what I wrote down for the day/week. Ive even tried to keep sticky notes, certain tech apps, and especially keeping a journal which I have had a little success in, and I do also derive some enjoyment from it. Yet, still I always seem to fall out of the habit with that too. Needless to say, I'm extremely unorganized, and aside from knowing I have a set time I go to work everyday, any other activities I partake in from day to day is mostly on a chaotic whim...that unfortunately includes gamedev, and more to my proclivity pixel art. I was wondering if any of you have this same problem, or have had this problem, and how you manage it? As for me, I'm having another go at journaling...and I'm internally rolling my eyes, wondering how long I will keep at it until something wrenches my meager attention span away. TwwwT            

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I am the same way. And at my older-than-most-of-you age, I'm finally learning to embrace it as a part of who I am. I can remember specifically in 3rd grade - back before the day that homework folders and planners were standard for all young children in school - getting fed up with me losing my homework and so they decided I needed a special folder to write down my homework and put the papers in. And unsurprisingly, it was a matter of days before the folder itself was missing. A short-lived experiment indeed.

All this to say, honestly, I'd try not to stress so much about being something that you just, by nature, probably are not. I would look at the areas where it might sincerely be causing you issues - for example, if there are work areas where this is a problem, or if you were taking classes of any sort that are suffering due to it - and work on those. But not worry too much about it otherwise. There are actually studies done that tend to show that the more creative minds tend to be more unorganized/messy.

But, for those areas that it might actually be causing issues, some of my suggestions are lists and develop specific routines. It will take a while on the routines, but it really helps when something becomes a habit. Nothing earth shattering there, and I could elaborate more if you wanted. But all this to say, no you're not alone.

palinskyjoe and PixelHeart like this.
  3. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am terrible at planning, because I get antsy and frustrated feeling like it's a waste of time writing down or imagining all the things I WANT to do, instead of going ahead and actually DOING them.

Like I can spend an hour writing down things like "today I'm going to clean this room and conquer the world and here's the 1000 steps I will take to do it!!!!" when I could have put that hour to better use just... cleaning the room and conquering the world?

What has helped me, though, is using a timetable/schedule to record what I actually did with my time during the day (so not planning, but recording). I realized how much time I wasted every day and the main culprit was either too much TV or browsing on my phone while waiting to go somewhere (instead of doing something productive while I wait). I always knew I wasted time doing those things, and I don't even enjoy doing them, but I never realized how many hours were actually lost. Sometimes I lose 5-6 hours of my day doing basically nothing, and then I wonder why I never have the time to do fun things... it's crazy. It's particularly easy to fall into that trap when you work from home.

PixelHeart likes this.
  4. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @mlogan - Honestly, everything just felt so hectic, that I'm not sure I could identify what's boggling me down...During the holidays I was having to work so much that I didn't really have any time for anything else in the first place, and on top of that, I was also having to go to school up until the middle of December...things are just now starting to calm down, and I'm not having to work as much. I'm going to figure things out...I just got to push myself a little. There are things I want to do, not just game dev, that do require a bit of routine, things like getting back into working out, studying these various coding languages I'm interested in...maybe my problem isint so much organization, but procrastination. :/   

@noctiluca - I'm like you, I think, except instead of tv its youtube. I really like your idea, it kinda feeds into my journaling =3 !

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, there's definitely a difference between stress of being very busy and say, your grades suffering because you can't keep track of when projects are due or something. If you're not having such issues, then you may not need to make drastic changes. I guess what I'm trying to say, is, if it's working for you - you perform well at work, keep your grades up, etc - then do you and don't worry that it's a different method than highly organized people. But if it's causing issues, or even just adding more stress to you because it bothers you, then yes, work on fixing it.

As for lists, I have found doing "micro" lists of sorts helps me. Putting a ton of big goals on a sheet of paper doesn't help, but making very small detailed goals towards a bigger goal usually works. For example, I homeschool my kids and I need to do some grading/recording of their work and do some planning for next week. So my list my look in part something like:

- Get stack of papers and organize by subject.

- Grade papers.

- Record grades.

- Store papers away

For me, breaking it into smaller tasks keeps me more motivated over the bigger job of "grade papers", if that makes sense?

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh wow, you're me as a teen.  It took me a while but I eventually figured out how to be organized, but it wasn't by doing things the way I was expected to by keeping a day planner or anything.  I just eventually figured out how to be organized and still be me.  For me a good list is way better than any plan.  I don't even necessarily ever look at it again, sometimes just writing it down and sorting out my thoughts is all I need and I'm done.  It's important for me to make sure the lists are of things that I think are important and that I want to accomplish, not things that I think I should do just because.  You could easily fill up the whole day with stuff some nebulous someone wants done and not have any time for what you think is important.  I have tons of random lists kicking around my computer.  Then, whenever I want to do something like work on a pixel set I haven't for a while, I pull up my "todo" list and pick up where I left off.  For the really important things than require me to be on time and on a specific day I'll have my phone alert me, but those are pretty rare.  It also helps to realize that just because you plan something doesn't mean you have to stick with it.  No battle plan survives contact with the enemy, after all.  You're free to revise and revisit goals any time you want.  Also, be okay with starting and stopping.  If you only journal sometimes that's still more journaling than you'd have if you didn't do it at all.  You're never going to be the guy who writes two pages in their journal before bed every night.  And that's okay, you shouldn't be trying to be just like someone else.  Being you is good.  All you need to do is find the balance of planning vs spontaneity that works for you and embrace it.

palinskyjoe, PixelHeart and mlogan like this.
  7. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other

@Sharm - that is exactly where I am right now through. X_X the very day I wrote the first post, I went in to work to find the new new dish washer got fired because he broght a fake doctors note for a prior absence...its always like this, we get a new dish washer...they quit or get fired soon after (usually for somthing stupid), leaving me the only one who can work both shifts...so I'm like, why plan when I know where I'm going to spend the majority of my time that week, cuz I have too, cuz bills :( ? And so close to when im going back to school, too. TwwT ...

8. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aw, yuck.  You were afraid of that happening.  Sorry you have to deal with that.  That isn't quite what I meant though.  I mean that sometimes we let other people's expectations run our lives.  For example, going running to get healthy is a great thing that you should spend your time on right?  Well, only if running is important to you.  You should totally go to college and get a degree, right?  Only if going to school is something that will get you where you want.  Stuff like that.  I sometimes still stress about this stuff on a really ridiculous level.  "I should take the trash out" but it isn't that big of a deal if I leave the trash for a few more days, it's not full.  But taking the trash out regularly is something I'm supposed to do, so I'd try to schedule it in and guilt trip myself when it wasn't.  I'm doing a little better about that but I still do it from time to time.

PixelHeart likes this.
  9. palinskyjoe

palinskyjoe affable madman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Stumbled on this and totally am/have been on the same page.

for me, I think i agree with @mlogan in the idea that embracing who I was helped me to become better at tackling productivity on my terms.

i was at a point in my life a few years back where I really did not know how to become organized or arrange my life in a way that allowed me to do anything that I wanted. Finding a work/life/social/etc balance was not a goal I could achieve.

i was in my mid 20s with a degree in English that I wasn't using and a feeling that all I did was work and all my passions had just sort of fizzled away other than the fact that I kept a journal every day to keep my writing sharp. I was independent in the sense that I lived in my own place but I was a total slave to my work and bills.

i was bogged down in the expectations of the world around me, going through the motions, etc. I realized that I had to kind of take drastic moves to find out how I needed to find my own path 

I moved to a new city in a new state and decided to begin freelancing with mt degree. It was a rocky few years but in removing my safety net and having to make the attempt to see what I could do on my own helped me to organize my life and schedule.

i freelance as a writer and have to keep my schedule rigorously controlled to meet deadlines, work with editors, and continuously build my reputation with clients. A few years ago I would have laughed if someone told me that my future would consist of an organized schedule and ability to edit productive on the regular

in discovering my own workflow I was able to better find time for my passions and balance my schedule. I was able to get back into theater and even help to write and mount a production that went up last year. I was able to rediscover my love for RPG Maker and pixel art and discovered these boards.

essentially I learned what worked for me. I don't suggest making a drastic move because that's not what will work for everyone. For me, I had to completely remove myself from my element to discover who I am and how to be the best version of me (to sound incredibly cheesy for a second)

becoming organized tskes time and patience. You'll figure yourself out, trust me. Try not to be too hard on yourself or compare your journey to anyone else's. "The race is long and in the end it's only with yourself."

youve got this :)

PixelHeart likes this.
  10. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm really weird, because in my work, I'm really good at planning, setting goals and sticking to an agenda. I'm pretty good at organizing someone's schedule or a training regimen and following up on their progress. I'm even ok to plan the household budget and take care of the admin.

but when it concerns myself and only me (like hobbies, doctor appointment, social welfare stuff) I'm a real mess or plain just don't care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  11. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We are creatives. We don't get organized by planners and calendars. We get organized by dry erase boards and thumbnails sketches and brain storming webs. The best way to get organized is to stay inspired and write down your good ideas before you lose them. Start using these things and planners and calendar apps might have some more meaning, I mean if you start setting goals and personal deadlines and what not. Don't just clean your room. Get creative; hang some fun wall art and feng shui your apartment. Do this a few times and soon you can't live without it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017