Getting a PS3, what do you guys recommend?

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
So I just bought a PS3 via amazon and it's suppose to come in before the end of the week. I have many plans for it (Was stuck with the Wii last gen :p), but I want to know what to keep an eye out for.

I know most of the top-rated exclusive for the console and how they play, but being an RPG forum I'm more curious about what you guys think are worth owning for the console. I'm open to any genre.

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
I'd start off with the Uncharted series, except for the last one only on PS4...

Euphony

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The aren't exclusive to the console, but I would always recommend:

• Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth if you watch the show
  • Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV if you like GTA-style games
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition but only if you can't run the PC version
  • Any Dark Souls game if you're brave enough! 8D
  • Pretty much any LEGO game - Harry Potter, Star Wars, whatever you're a fan of!
  • Tales of Symphonia if you missed the Gamecube version
  • And maaaaaybe Tales of Graces, Xillia, and Zestiria if you're a fan of the series

Also, didn't play them myself, but I know my friend had fun playing Journey and the Little Big Planet games.

Noct

coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
[US] English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make sure you  also check out:

• The Last of Us.
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Max Payne 3
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • FarCry 3 & 4
  • Army of Two: Devils Cartel
  • Borderlands 2
  • L.A Noire
  • Hitman: Absolution

These are some of the titles I both play and enjoy the most on my PS3.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
The Last Of Us is a must, Uncharted series, Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock I is very good as well but for me Infinite got me into this series, you don't have to play the two others first before Infinite), Dragon Age Inquisition

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In terms of RPGs:

• Atelier series.  There's 6 of them, broken into 2 game series: Rorona/Totori/Meruru and Ayesha/Escha/Shallie.  I'd actually recommend skipping Rorona and play Rorona Plus after Meruru.
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of Xillia 1 & 2
  • Star Ocean 4
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Dark Souls 1 & 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Ar nosurge
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Ni no Kuni

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How has no one brought up the Kingdom Hearts remakes yet?!  Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 are incredible.  1.5 is the first Kingdom Hearts and RE: COM.  2.5 is 2 and BBS.  All of these are in HD and come with their previously Japan-exclusive content.  These two collections are probably the most definitive way to play these games now.

Also, Ni No Kuni is great.  I love that game too!

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can make alot of suggestions

Demon Souls

MGS 4 (because nano-machines)

Last of Us

Red Dead redemption

Little Big Planet 1 - 3

Infamous 1 + 2

Okami HD

Uncharted games

Ni No Kuni

Vanquish (seriously, do it)

Steins;gate

A bunch of games I probably am forgetting

...and DEMON SOULS!!!!!!!

Lymmet

the Oddborne
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
N/A
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls 1-3
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Transistor
  • Borderlands 1-2
  • MGS4
  • Dragon Age: Inquisiton

That should keep ya busy for a while..

SeagullKing

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There are a lot of collections/remasters that are really good (Kingdom Hearts, God of War to name a few).  I would also possibly look into some of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band games, since you could possibly get some instruments SUPER cheap these days at any thrift store.  The Batman Arkham games were great as well.

I also had a lot of fun with WWE2K14.  It is probably the most entertaining wrestling game I've played since the ones back on N64, which were good fun.  It might not be up your alley, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share!

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
  • The Last of Us
    Not a lot to say here, I think this game encapsulates the best the PS3 has to offer. 

• Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1-2
    The Trails series is famous at this point for the level of detail they put into world building: Main story aside, so much love and care were put into every single NPC in this game that each of them actually have lives and stories that progress with you as you move through the game. My problem with the Trails in the Sky series is the game looked very dated. Cold Steel is the first in the series to feature 3D graphics and while it isn't the best around, it works just fine. 

• Tales of Graces F
    I've been out of touch with the Tales series for a while, having stopped playing only played Phantasia-Eternia, Innocence and World 1. Graces F comes up a lot among series fans for having one of the best battle systems in the series, and I've found the story to be pretty decent as well.

Robin Hoot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Catherine is a personal favorite. If you like puzzles, fun story and badass music, go for it!

Lantiz

Biterkid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • Dragon fin soup
  • Fez
  • Journey
  • Resonance of Fate (looks like I'm the only person who likes this game)
  • Watch_Dogs
  • GTA V
  • Trine
  • Persona 3
  • Final Fantasy series (there's also 14 online :D )
  • Chrono series
  • Breath of Fire
  • Disgaea
  • Harvest Moon Back to Nature

Vini310

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

Battle Fantasia

The King of Fighters XIII

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND

One Piece: Pirate Warriors

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nier is the best game on PS3.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • Final Fantasy series (there's also 14 online :D )

Do NOT buy Final Fantasy 14 on the PS3. Service on the PS3 is ending with the next expansion in a few months, and it'll only be playable on PC and PS4.

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Guitar Hero, and Rock Band

Lantiz

Biterkid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do NOT buy Final Fantasy 14 on the PS3. Service on the PS3 is ending with the next expansion in a few months, and it'll only be playable on PC and PS4.
Sorry I didn't know this when I suggested, also it has a free upgrade to PS4 which gives you 15 days free to play.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry I didn't know this when I suggested, also it has a free upgrade to PS4 which gives you 15 days free to play.
They do have a free upgrade campaign from PS3 to PS4 going on right now, yes, but said upgrade campaign would be of little help to OP if they did not have a PS4, and if they did it would make more sense to just get the PS4 version than add the extra work of having to do the upgrade (not to mention the PS4 version just runs so much better than the PS3 version anyway).

As far as new suggestions go, the Hyperdimension Neptunia series is fun if you skip the first one (a much better remake of the first game was done on the Vita and PC), and if you like the challenge of playing games that aren't localized to your language, the JPN-only PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia is also the best port of the game with a fairly large amount of additional content to its X360 counterpart. Its also the go-to console for fighting games if that's your thing. Street Fighter IV, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, and Marvel vs Capcom 3 are among the standout titles.

Lantiz

Biterkid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They do have a free upgrade campaign from PS3 to PS4 going on right now, yes, but said upgrade campaign would be of little help to OP if they did not have a PS4, and if they did it would make more sense to just get the PS4 version than add the extra work of having to do the upgrade (not to mention the PS4 version just runs so much better than the PS3 version anyway).
Sorry I never meant to say that he should get a PS4 version, I just added information about the end of service of the PS3 version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SupJ