SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there! I'm re-purposing this thread to be a general place for me to post some art.
I've been in a sort of art block for around three years or more where I can never get myself to draw just for fun. The only art I've been making is in a majority art for my games. I'm trying to get back into drawing for fun in my free time slowly, so hence why this thread is being changed.
Feedback is welcome, but please don't be too critical as I'm battling my own over-critical attitude towards my art.

New art stuffs:
(Order: newest=topmost, oldest=bottommost, titles on top)
Random Red Haired Guy
(Practicing hair coloring)
index.php

Harold and the new RPG Maker

(The new RPG Maker has just been annouced, how exciting!)
index.php

Smash's Feelings on Mapping

(My problems with making maps, I just need to push through it!)
index.php

RMMV generator characters redraw in my pixel style

(Had a bunch of fun with these, may make more again in the future)
index.php

Harold: Happy Holidays!
(Trying a new coloring style, looks more textured, Harold's excited about the snow)
SmashArtist_RMW Harold Holidays.png
This is what the thread used to be about, you can ignore it now as it hasn't been updated in forever.
Hey guys! Just wanted to make a thread so I can explore various styles of pixel arting and finding one that suits me. I will be posting style tests and sketches here. However none of the art is for use unless specified otherwise. :3

I'm also thinking of the possibility that I might take on creating some pack DLC at some point, so I would love to hear what style you guys would like to see and use in your projects (other than RTP) or what genre. :kaojoy:

Pixel Style Test 1 :Pixel Style 1.png Pixel Style 1 Terrain EX.png
Pixel Style Test 2 :Pixel Style 2.png

Feedback questions -
  1. Do you like this style? / Which style is your favorite/which are you more likely to use?
  2. What can I do to improve this style?
  3. Would you like to see more assets in this style?
  4. Would you use this in your own game?
  5. Would you buy a pack in this style? (including tilesets/icons/balloon icons/characters/animations/faces in this style)

Thanks for any ideas/feedback! Feel free to include example images! :D

Last edited:

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Retro Style of course :LZScat: It's the best! Maybe a mix between the NES and SNES. Super simple yet colorful like in the SNES. If that makes any sense

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Retro is pretty cool. Since I use MV should I make art with less pixels and then scale it up? :kaophew:

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, less pixels means you won't have to many resolution issues if any. Plus retro is in style.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Although I don't use it, I think there seems to be an interest in FES styled art as well. (I guess that's still a bit retro?)

I think @DianteC is on to something, as some of the big selling titles on Steam in the past year has been "Metrovania" type games, and other crazy titles like "Death Road to Canada."

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I myself am a big FES fan :LZSsmile: I got it upon release.

Also @SmashArt I'd like to take this opportunity to help each other grow and set up a challenge to where we select a decent canvas size and we both create an object, character etc... from our own views.

Last edited:

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Me too!!!! :LZSproud:

This will be a great way to improve and give feedback, exchange tips and so on. @SmashArt you do know this also means war right? :)

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated the main post with a pixel style I've been trying out, please give me your thoughts! :3

index.php

Edit: Added some test terrain
index.php

Last edited:

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see that style with a more modern style tileset. Looks awesome, I like how you focused the detail towards the eyes. The general body details are important, but I feel as if the head is the main eye catcher when making overworld sprites.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! Your feedback is invaluable to me. :kaoluv:
Would you see yourself using this in one of your games if it came in a pack with matching characters/icons/tilesets?

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh without a doubt! Now I will say that one thing a lot of artist leave out when making a pack is a window and a balloon set. I know they seem small, but I have an eye to see that it all flows together.

I would say make a base set of characters and then branch out over time with more character types or even monsters. Speaking of which I need to get on top of making this 8 bit retro set I wanna get in to.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh, you're making a retro set? Sounds pretty cool! I can't wait to see it! Now, I should get to practicing my tileset making. :hswt2:

DianteC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, I'm gonna start now, like right now :oswt: I'll get a base char template together and then start on some tiles.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Screenshot-2021-05-02-at-15-07-54.png

Tivadar will help you travel to distant places in Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace

Finally done with the school project, here's the raw video of it. o_O :smile:
Can February March? No, but April May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luok