staticplacebo

Neon color enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I know this sounds kind of vague so let me elaborate LOL

I had some issues with my wrists that forced me to take a break for a couple of weeks (no drawing or typing) so I kept thinking about my game but wasn't able to execute anything.

Now that I'm healed enough to start coding / drawing / etc, I want to jump back in but am kind of overwhelmed by how many different sections there are. I have pretty bad ADHD, so I figured I'd just ask for some outside perspectives:

When you're getting back into working on your game after a break, how do you decide which parts to work on first?

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have ADHD as well. Let's just say I've been apart of this community for almost 10 years and have never released anything lmfao.

But I do love jotting all my ideas and notes into google docs/sheets. And usually I just work on a new project and then abandon it and then work on a new project and then abandon it and then maybe I'll work on an old project and then I'll abandon it and then work on a new project.

EntangledPear

Previously No Patience (now patient enough)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Slovak
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on what stage of development you're at. For me, my process (after having an idea of the story) is this: make a map of the new area -> fill it with events -> deal with battles (if there are any). My least favourite part is making maps, so if I don't feel like it, I'll make new sprites for the area, decide what enemies it will have, what they'll drop, details like that. Essentially what I'm trying to say is start with something that sounds most fun/least like a chore to you at the moment.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tbh just pick up anything. You'll get back to an organized workflow or w/e soon enough. Most important step is to just start doing it.

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most important step is to just start doing it.
Yep, definitely agree. I have seemed to move into an on-again/0ff-again workflow of about 6 weeks working diligently then 1 week where little to no work is done. After my short 1 week breaks, just cracking open RPG Maker and starting with whatever I have the highest motivation to work on at the moment is how I get back into the grove of things.

It helps if you comment your game thoroughly so whenever you do take breaks (or get distracted by something else) when you come back you remember where you left off. (I forget things easily, so commenting everything has really helped me keep track of what stuff does and where I left off)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
starting with whatever I have the highest motivation to work on at the momen
I think this is probably the most important aspect. It's totally counterproductive to start with something just because it's important if it's also the thing you least like doing. Some time ago I too had to take a break (for several months in my case) because of an accident which injured my wrists. I found it very difficult to open up the engine again because I felt overwhelmed by the amount still to do on that game. Doing the things that I enjoyed the most and which I found most straightforward was what enabled me to get back into it.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depending on how far you had previously got, simply playing your game as it exists so far might be a good way to remotivate yourself.

HB_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I believe a good way to go is to review all the project and list everything that needs to be done to complete a minimum viable version of it. From this list I would select one of the topics and work to make progress in it.

Also, I tend to set weekly mini goals. This helps with focus, time management and , when completed, it builds a sense of progress that motivates me to work on the next week goals.

Hope I could help,
Good luck with your project!

HB_Games

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just realized that I didn't answer your question, haha.

how do you decide which parts to work on first?
I would first aim for the parts where other parts are built upon. The basic elements. If these are all done I would simply choose one that I want to work on.

CleanWater

Neutral Good Battle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Developing is like dancing, once you start, you don't want to stop anymore.

Just choose any section of your game that you feel you wish to get back the most and go on! :wink:

Latest Profile Posts

Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel
still cursed with having an issue then solving it myself as soon as someone else explains it to me/is trying to help.

sure hope nobody thinks im weird not responding to them after they're only trying to help.
Erecting a giant stone monolith and inscribing the words "keep it simple stupid" upon it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhan96