2d_quest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In Battle how do you get:

1.  Whether an actor is being ordered and which one.

2.  Whether a actor is being attacked, which one, and by which enemy.

3.  Whether an enemy is being attacked, which one, and by which actor.

4.  Whether an actor or enemy has died.

5.  Enemy hp and actor hp.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
some of that data can be gained by event command "control Variable" (HP for example), but most of it requires either the use of damage formula tricks or scripting.

However, in all usual cases there is no need for getting data like "whether an enemy is being attacked", because that attack is initiated by the player and you could simple have that attack skill trigger anything else, without the need for another process detecting that attack.

I suggest you step back one step and describe to us what you want to achieve and how you want to use that data, because it looks like you're thinking too complex and most probably there is an easier way to get what you want, without the checks you're currently planning.

2d_quest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
some of that data can be gained by event command "control Variable" (HP for example), but most of it requires either the use of damage formula tricks or scripting.

I suggest you step back one step and describe to us what you want to achieve and how you want to use that data, because it looks like you're thinking too complex and most probably there is an easier way to get what you want, without the checks you're currently planning.
Well, I want to make the battles a bit more like Phantasy Star 2 or 4 visually.  It shows the backs of the actors instead of a total first person view, though if you remove them it would look the same as a first person view.  Right now I just want to work out the logic of things and not worry about animation.  Since the actors should always be in front of the enemy I could draw a picture of which actor is currently being focused on.  I want to set variables to the actor that's being ordered, attacked, or attacking so that I can draw a picture of them using conditional branches if any of these are true.  I also want to set a variable to which enemy is currently being attacked, so I could draw the actors picture at the enemy's x coordinates.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sooo in short, you're trying to design a visual HUD? One that shows things about the current actor and it's target(s)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, you are thinking too complex - you might want to check the available battle system script on the master script list, because there are already several who do similiar things.

Back to your ideas:

You do not need a variable for which enemy is targeted, because you insert your display function into the existing targeting function to draw your frame or whatever around the targeted enemy, you don't need to know which actor attacks because you insert the animations/displays into the skill sequence and so on.

Most of those functions are already object-based in their structure, which means that there is no need to check for which user or target handles the skill - it's automatically applied, and having an external, non-object-function entering the displays (like you're currently planning) will only confuse matters.

For example, look at the damage formula - that uses a and b as automatic placeholders for user and target. You need to write your scripts in the same structure, and then you won't need all that targeting data you're looking for.

2d_quest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
yes, you are thinking too complex - you might want to check the available battle system script on the master script list, because there are already several who do similiar things.

Back to your ideas:

You do not need a variable for which enemy is targeted, because you insert your display function into the existing targeting function to draw your frame or whatever around the targeted enemy, you don't need to know which actor attacks because you insert the animations/displays into the skill sequence and so on.

Most of those functions are already object-based in their structure, which means that there is no need to check for which user or target handles the skill - it's automatically applied, and having an external, non-object-function entering the displays (like you're currently planning) will only confuse matters.
So then, how do I show the picture when the skill is used and stop showing it when it's finished and know which actor using the skill so I know what picture to show?  How do I put the picture in the location of the enemy.  Most of scripts out there are side view battle so they aren't so helpful.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to make some horror "Corpse Party" style tileset.unknown.png
100 degrees here (38 degrees C) god I need ac
I wish I can work faster on my game. But I don't want to get burned out. :(
I've been working on something on and off for a few years now, and I've been reluctant to share any details on the project before I had anything playable because I did not want to generate hype only for the project to go back on hiatus. That being said I believe what I'm working on is very unique and pushes the boundaries of what RPG Maker projects can be. Bold claims, I know but just wait.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shinoodle