Getting event to work with multiple conditions?

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Currently nearing the end of my game (I've mentioned it plenty of times before in other threads) and a last minute change has me wondering if it was worth going through the trouble of implimenting the change or not.

Was going to have a single condition ending where if you did this, it was easier to beat the game and if you didn't it was going to be harder.

Now, I want to set it up where if you have these multiple conditions met, it will be easier and you can get different endings based on how many conditions met.

A deeper description:
I'm working on a horror game (think Corpse Party style of game) where the player can go through an abandoned, spook school and have encounters and death triggers with ghosts and a bad guy. They can also encounter helpful NPCs that can join the party and such. Now, with having the ghosts in the game, I wanted it to be something where you just avoid the ghosts and death triggers and then beat the game by confronting the main bad guy, but now I want to set it up where you can get different endings based on what you do. For example:

Help all ghosts pass on -> Good ending
Ignore all ghosts and beat game -> Ok ending
Get all saveable partners and beat game -> Helper Ending
Get all saveable partners killed -> Psycho Ending

Just a few examples of what I got for ideas. Basically, I want to set it up where if you help all ghosts, you get a good ending but you need to get items these ghosts are attached to to appease them. Say you only get half of the saved and beat the game, you get an ok ending instead of a good ending.

Basically, multiple endings based on multiple conditions met. How would I set this up?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
when beat end boss you could have event run a series of if statements checking for quest completion switches. each switch that is on would then add to a variable.
then run another if statement checking that variable to determine if all ghosts have been helped or not.
same for the partners but using a different variable

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
when beat end boss you could have event run a series of if statements checking for quest completion switches. each switch that is on would then add to a variable.
then run another if statement checking that variable to determine if all ghosts have been helped or not.
same for the partners but using a different variable
How exactly would I set that up? I've honestly been avoiding variables in my game to keep things simple for me. It's my first game ever but I'm willing to move out of my comfort zone to improve my game overall.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature, then look for the "variables guide" there. That game is a good start to learn variables.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature, then look for the "variables guide" there. That game is a good start to learn variables.
So theres a game there to teach about variables? Or is it a guide?

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Variables are really not that different from switches. A switch is a boolean function, which means it only has two states: true/false, yes/no, on/off, 1/0 etc. Switches always start in the off (false) position. Variables are similar, just that they have more possible states. You use them as counters, like money for example is basicly a variable saying how much... well, money you have as it starts typically at 0 and increases or decreases.

In your example, it would more or less boil down to:
IF Ghost A saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
IF Ghost B saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
IF Ghost C saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
etc
And if the variable matches the number of ghosts, you get your ending.

You can adapt this to your other chars as well.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Variables are really not that different from switches. A switch is a boolean function, which means it only has two states: true/false, yes/no, on/off, 1/0 etc. Switches always start in the off (false) position. Variables are similar, just that they have more possible states. You use them as counters, like money for example is basicly a variable saying how much... well, money you have as it starts typically at 0 and increases or decreases.

In your example, it would more or less boil down to:
IF Ghost A saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
IF Ghost B saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
IF Ghost C saved THEN ghostssavedvariable +1
etc
And if the variable matches the number of ghosts, you get your ending.

You can adapt this to your other chars as well.
I get told to play a lot of the game guides and although they help, they put a hefty pause on my games production. I'm the ONLY one working on my game with some very much needed help from the community here. Since its a horror survival game, I'm aiming to get it finished before October 31st (for anyone that may not know, its a US holiday called Halloween).

So having this actually explained to me helps a bit more than taking time off of my game to play a game about it, besides, not everyone wants to play a game about a specific subject...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

This video really speaks to me...

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the interactive text adenture! Feel free to drop by!
I worked a lot more today and I am thinking about Youtube videos to make to my channel, but I am still looking for some content :D

But I am happy to be back at work :D
Update... no scam calls all day. I think they learned their lesson. And I'm working on a fake anti-piracy video, featuring a fan game I'm making in MV. If I had the permission to make the game a licensed game that I could sell (rather than having it totally free like fan games are required to be), I'd use a really cool anti-piracy screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurogane79