Getting permadeath working/getting a common event to run at the end of every turn

Mihnea

C++ adept
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, title explains all of it. I have this common event with conditional branches for if a character enters the knockout state (reaches 0 hitpoints) some dialouge will be shown and then the member will be removed from the party. However I have trouble getting it to work past turn 1. (If I run the event page with the "End turn" condition)
This is the common event:
1597264204491.png
And this is what I tried doing for battles so far, to no avail:
1597264255610.png
1597264290114.png
The names of actors were not changed. My idea of doing permadeath is simply running the common event after each turn. I had no luck doing that so far. If anyone has any ideas or can provide any help I'd be deeply grateful.

Xane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
(US) English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's cause you have the span set to battle. You need to change the span to turn. By default it's only going to check once per battle.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your problem is the wrong span.
the span of the troop event determines how often the condition is checked and the event run:

once per battle, once per turn or once per moment/action

edit: ninja'd

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can confirm what has been suggested works. Not to derail this, but when the conditional is set to Don't Run, is there a reason it works when condition is set to Turn-End, but not for Don't Run? My thought-process is that the game would check if the player has not Ran away.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Crusha
the "don't run" mentioned in the troop event has nothing to do with "running away from battle".

It just means that the event-page is not active and will not execute any commands.

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Crusha
the "don't run" mentioned in the troop event has nothing to do with "running away from battle".

It just means that the event-page is not active and will not execute any commands.
Ah -- I interpreted its meaning differently then. Thank you for answering this Scorched.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that "don't run" comes from the technical term "to run a program". As said above it has nothing to do with escaping.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In your first Picture you see the Word "Span", go with your Mouse to it stay still there for 2 to 3 Seconds, than a Helpwindow Pops Up that explains the Terms for the Span.
That also works with Textbox and many other Editor Eventcommands. Its not just very obvious, but when one knows about it, its useful.

Mihnea

C++ adept
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks everyone for helping! It works now. I have set the span to turn and the condition to turn end, and now it works as good as one might want! (Also modified the common event to check if the actor is in the party prior to them saying their death line since else they would say it every turn after their death)

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
common event the instant someone reaches 0 hitpoints?
not as a common event for everyone, but you can make troop events to react to specific battler HP.
you would need one troop event for every actor instead of a single common event, and that would either have to be copied into every troop manually or by using a base troop event plugin for automatic copy

Mihnea

C++ adept
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not as a common event for everyone, but you can make troop events to react to specific battler HP.
you would need one troop event for every actor instead of a single common event, and that would either have to be copied into every troop manually or by using a base troop event plugin for automatic copy
Thanks for the advice, I fortunately got the common event to run at the end of every turn, which is good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I guess if you're just going solo dev, minimize features is better choice.
As close as possible, now I draw all of them with little by little needle sticking.
Welp, back to the drawing board...
Ami
--- Overused ---

Hero: (Drink 3 HP Bottle L)
F.Healer: Don't drink too much,or you got sick!
Hero: Nah,i'm okay. it's the way to repleni---
(Hero Collapse)
Hero: (Weak) Ugh...my head (Coughing Then Vomiting)
F.Healer: I told you to don't Drink 3 HP Bottle L or you're Sick. Let's go to Doctor.
Shaking off the dust. Clearing the cobwebs. Time to get back to gam-mak!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matkacharts