Getting the names right

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by StarDragonStudios, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarDragonStudios

StarDragonStudios Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello all. I come to you today with a small problem. I'm currently working on a project where you have the option of being four different characters. Each character has a their own back story and a few exclusive scenes but the main quest is the same for all of them. (Kinda like Dragon Age) My issue is: when I get to the scenes and maps that they all share, I want NPCs to speak to them by their own names. I don't want to have to make four maps that look the same and send each one to their own map. Is there something in the text box I can use that calls up the current actor's name? I tried the \N[n] but that just uses whoever is the nth in your list of actors, not the actor you're playing as. Any ideas?

Ronpa likes this.
  2. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Even with \N[0] ?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can use either conditional branches (lot of work and typing) or one of the advanced messaging scripts (which add more text codes to the game, making this easy) or you can use ruby commands to save names into variables when starting the game (a bit tricky, but doesn't need scripts added).

For most people, the advanced messaging scripts from the master script list would be best, but that depends on how many scripts you want into your game and possible script incompatibilities.

4. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Use \P[n] instead, it uses the current party. \N[n] will check the actors in the database, in the order you made them, while \P[n] will check the current party.

Edit: If you hover your mouse over the the textbox that shows up when you click 'Show Text...', you can see all the built-in 'escape' codes you can use. \P[n] is listed right under \N[n]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  5. StarDragonStudios

StarDragonStudios Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is exactly what I needed! I actually did see the list of 'escape codes' but I misunderstood what \P[n] meant. Thanks for clarifying. And thanks to everyone else who answered too :)

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.