Gift Giving System - Possible?

rinarunine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I've been a long-time lover of the RM series and once I found out that RM2K3 finally got an official release, I snapped it up in a heartbeat!

I've been toying with the idea of creating a game with a gift giving system, much in the style of Harvest Moon and other games. But I'm not even sure the eventing system would allow for something like this.

What I've been doing is creating a YES/NO prompt, and when YES is selected, open up a Sell store page. But it has it's drawbacks because you can sell multiple items, of course.

Do you have any tips or creative suggestions?

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Because there is no built-in key item system in RM2K3, you have to create a work-around. And due to the nature of work-arounds, there are nearly an infinite amount of ways you could go about this, some better than others. Let me present you with one.

Make your gift items 'switch' items that toggle a switch.

When you talk to an NPC that can receive gifts, display some choices initially such as "Talk, Gift, Nevermind".

Also, create a variable called NPC-ID or something, and assign each NPC a value. So you just talked to this girl, she is NPC 1, so that variable gets changed to 1.

If player selects "Gift", the person says something like "Oh? Is there something you wanted to give me?"

At that point, turn on another switch "Giving Gift".

Have the 2nd page of that NPC be a parallel process that is active while "Giving Gift" is ON. Make it loop for awhile (like 5 seconds or so) while it waits for the player to open up the item menu and select a gift.

If they wait too long, have the loop end, the person says something like "Oh, well let me know if you change your mind." and then turn that switch OFF.

If they do in fact choose an item, it will toggle a switch. That switch runs a common event with conditional branches checking what NPC you are talking to based on that variable we discussed earlier. So it sees you are talking to NPC 1, and from there you can enter what this particular NPC says/does after receiving that particular item.

Sorry, didn't have time to go through and show screenshots etc., but I hope this gives you an idea of one way to do a workaround.

Phluff

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Felix has a great idea about this. The idea that had came to me was by using a custom menu for giving gifts, which would require you to create your own graphics and cursor, set positions and remove select items from the player's inventory upon selection. If I get more time soon, I'll go over it a bit more.

Sakuri

Today is Today
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
youre going to need a switch and variable system, say you drop off medicine at the shop, set up a switch, then if you talk to the person who wanted you to deliver the medicine after you did you would create a page with the switch trigger. After they give you the gift, enter another switch to avoid item hoarding

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today I drove through my city of 100,000+ people during rush hour and the streets were nearly empty. Just so I could go get my favorite burger. There a dental assistant (she said that's her other job, even though I didn't ask) took my order and handed me a burger. I know it's bad out there... But wow, she's either atrocious with her money, or "it really be like that".
Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ocren