Gimp Graphic modification help

Miseryfactory77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone I was not sure the correct place but had questions as it related to the image editing software gimp. I am somewhat competant in gimp and have used it to edit spritesheets in the past but needed help with something which may involve layering etc and was wondering if anybody could help me.

I have an sv battler and want to make an after image type look for them and I know that I can accomplish this through gimp. so my 1st question is does anybody know how I can use gimp to while I have my spritesheet pulled up to make the actor look more opaque aka afterimagey kinda like they are fading? I know in rpg maker mv when making an animation there is an option to do that However I would need to do this in gimp.

My second question is since I will be editing the spritesheet once I have come up with the afterimage of my battler it will be positioned slightly to the right of the actor on the spritesheet but i need the priority to go to the non opaque looking sprite so I was wondering if I could somehow layer the edited opaque image to have less priority so it doenst overlap the non opaque image but falls behind it.

To graphics editing people I just know you will understand what I am trying to say or at least I hope so lol. Please if anybody can help.

If this is in the wrong place I apologize in advance because I was not sure where I should post this.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did a very old tutorial to do this with GIMP.
I do not think this is possible directly in GIMP.
However, these possible to do in AE, and export the sprite Sheet in gimp.
I have done my tutorial in french, but it is very visual, and you may be able to turn on, the automatic translation.
I show exactly how to do what you seem to ask.

Ae are free for 30 day, or for student

EDIT: Ok, maybe check about opacity layer ?

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can change the opacity of individual layers in Gimp. So, you'd want to have the second image be a separate layer. Make the one you want to be semi-transparent a lower layer, lower the opacity, then either merge the layers or simply export the whole thing.

opacity.png

If I understood what you were asking correctly.

Miseryfactory77

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You can change the opacity of individual layers in Gimp. So, you'd want to have the second image be a separate layer. Make the one you want to be semi-transparent a lower layer, lower the opacity, then either merge the layers or simply export the whole thing.

View attachment 63702

If I understood what you were asking correctly.
Ok I think what your saying is I can open the pritesheet up in 2 seperate gimp files. Then I would make one more opaque and move it to a second layer and adjust the position of the sprites then copy the entire image and go to the default untampered spritesheet then paste it on and it will be opaque and on the second layer so as to not overlap the default spritesheet.

Okay this sounds complicated but I will give it a try and let you guys know how it turns out thank you so much. I figured I would need to learn this anyways because I have to get into parallax mapping so that my game does not look boring as far as the scenery is concerned anyways. I was tyring to avoid this but knew I would have to learn how to use graphics editing software eventually.

I wish there was somebody I could pay to parallax map a beautiful area for me as I just describe to them what it needs to look like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's name in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr