Not open for further replies.

Jericoshost

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok so I am trying to edit some tilesets/graphics/etc into sheets that would work with the events system.

But files under the 'Characters' Graphics file seem to have some kind of formula to it.

I looked around but didn't find an answer.

So my questions are:

How does the prefix affect the images selection ratio?

The !, $, !$,

(and if there are any different ones I don't know about I would like to know about these too)

seem to affect the ratio the event system chooses. (1:3, 2:4, etc?)

Or is it determined by the size of the sheet? Or both?

I would like to know about this so I can make properly working event tilesets.

Simplified question:

How does the event Icon choose its size, what are the prefixes for/their effects?

If it helps, I am using GIMP 2, and am planning on making all tilesets available simultaneously on a single map for ease of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is all in the help file, you know ;)

! simply means when the sprite is drawn, it is not moved up 4 pixels, which is the default, but drawn to align with the grid. Things like doors need to have this, as you want the bottom of the door aligned exactly with the bottom of the building.

$ means your spritesheet has 12 cells - enough for a single character. No $ means the sprite sheet is large enough for 8 characters - 2 rows, with 4 in each row, where each character has 12 sprites.

$! or !$ is simply saying the spritesheet is only for a single character, AND it's to be drawn level with the grid.

As far as size, nothing specifically says "this sprite is this big". Ace works that out based on your image size and whether there's a $ at the start of the filename or not. It takes the width and height of your entire spritesheet and divides the width by 3 (if it starts with $) or 12 (if there's no $), and divides the height by 4 (if it starts with $) or 8 (if there's no $). And that's how it determines the size of the sprite.

YOU need to ensure your spritesheet consists of cells that are equal in size, and that the entire image is 3 (or 12) times the width of that cell, and 4 (or 8) times the height of the cell. If your spritesheet contains 8 sprites, they will all be the same size, even if only one of them actually takes up the full cell allowance.

DEFAULT sprites are 32x32 pixels for each cell, so 96x128 for a spritesheet for a single character (with $ at the start of the name), or 384x256 for a spritesheet with 8 characters (no $ in the name). But you don't have to stick with the default. You can make it smaller (though the event will still take up a full 32x32 tile), or larger (though you may have issues with the upper part being chopped off if the event/sprite is on a tile one lower than a tile with star passability in the tileset).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jericoshost

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sweet thanks for all the help, also fixed the *Head up A** bug and found the help file you mentioned.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The snowy mountains in my game are finally done... what a crazy journey.
I participated in the official video event collection!
Well I am infinitely upset that I finally got a good idea... after the Touch the Stars game jam is pretty much over.

Gather resources to build a spaceship to escape the apocalypse! It would have been cool....
Thinking that if I get MZ, I'll work on a new Project. How about instead of just an RPG, I make it episodic, like an anime? You might even get fanservice. Oh, but I need the right costume for the character.
"but what even is an API??"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xshwarrior