Gimp objects not lining up with default image on map.

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In Gimp, I cropped a two tile pillar from the tileset. It measures 32 x 64. I then made a block 96 x 256 and added the images to it.
I added $ to the file name and imported it to my Resource Characters. The pillar works perfectly as far as pushing it from all sides. When I place the event for it on the map, it seems to line up with the default image.

Event On map.png

When I start the game, it does not line up with the default. Default is on the left.

Pillar game start.png

Just wondering if I missed a setting somewhere. If this is not a Rpgmaker question, then, just let me know.
Thanks

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
its not an rpg question, but still related to your rpg event :)
so it is still related in it's way.

while I dont use gimp or VX ace, something is shifted, depending how many
characters is on the sheet (I presum a 3x4) if its the same in MV and are
divided by 4 rows, 3 colums correctly.

if it is and it shows like the above, you might need a script to shift the
event down a bit, but I cannot check it as I dont own the engine.

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The sheet is 3x4 96 x 256px
There is a setting in Gimp when you configure the 32 x 32 grid size. It is called offset. I never touched it. Don't know if that could have something to do with it.

offset.png

Thanks for answering.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To explain the post above, default sprites are for NPCs and as such they are automatically shifted up a few pixel to give the illusion that they are standing inside the grid instead of on its borders.

! denotes object sprites that have to align to the grid borders, and has the pixel shift disabled as one of its effects. I think there was a second effect to the ! that is also about objects as opposed to people, but I don't remember that exactly and might be wrong.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To explain the post above, default sprites are for NPCs and as such they are automatically shifted up a few pixel to give the illusion that they are standing inside the grid instead of on its borders.

! denotes object sprites that have to align to the grid borders, and has the pixel shift disabled as one of its effects. I think there was a second effect to the ! that is also about objects as oppised to people, but I don't remember that exactly and might be wrong.
You're right about the secondary effect; it also stops them appearing half-transparent when on bush tiles.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I totally forgot the ! for shifting sprites, it is the same in MV too,
doors mostly have $! or !$ in front and probably behave the same
if order doesn't matter.

I'm happy you solved your issue, good luck on your project further :)

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know it is solved, but I will explain why this. Because understanding is key.

Normally events show up 12 pixels higher than the grid. This is so characters walk on the middle of a path instead of right next to it.

That is why objects that do line up with the grid need to be marked, and this is indeed done by putting a ! in the beginning of the filename.

The $ has nothing to do with this. This is to mark the files as 1 4-directional object, in stead of 8 4-directional objects.

I hope this helps.

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait a sec. So my tall sprites for my characters had to be shifted, AND they have no shadow and don't 'walk in tall grass' because of the "!"? So I need a different approach to having tall character sprites?

I guess I'm learning things...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because of the "!"
why did you even put a ! into the filenames of tall sprites? almost everyone calls the ! the object flag because it only makes sense to put it on sprites of objects, not on sprites of people....

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why did you even put a ! into the filenames of tall sprites? almost everyone calls the ! the object flag because it only makes sense to put it on sprites of objects, not on sprites of people....
It's been a long time since I messed around with my sprites, but I remember that being the "solution" to my sprites being cut into pieces. Maybe I misinterpreted something or was given poor information. I mean, they mostly work. One would be hard-pressed to tell that something is wrong unless looking closely.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are a ton of tutorial blogs on this forum written by some very talented people. This one Charsets: Structure and Avoiding Traps! by @Avery is probably the very best at explaining the ! and $. If you are going to start editing your own charsets, it's a really valuable read and it only takes a few minutes.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's been a long time since I messed around with my sprites, but I remember that being the "solution" to my sprites being cut into pieces. Maybe I misinterpreted something or was given poor information. I mean, they mostly work. One would be hard-pressed to tell that something is wrong unless looking closely.
It's nothing to do with them being taller or not, it's determined entirely by how many characters are on the sheet. If it's a single 4-dir character, you put a ! to tell the engine it only needs to slice it for 3 frames of 4 directions. If it's a sheet of 8 4-dir characters, leaving it out tells the engine it needs to slice it for a 12x8 frame sheet. That's all it does, regardless of the size of the characters themselves.

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I must have changed multiple things and gotten confused as to what the fix was to the problem way back then. Anyway, easy fix. Already done, in fact.

Haha! Hardly noticeable, but every bit helps.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it's a single 4-dir character, you put a ! to tell the engine it only needs to slice it for 3 frames of 4 directions. If it's a sheet of 8 4-dir characters, leaving it out tells the engine it needs to slice it for a 12x8 frame sheet. That's all it does, regardless of the size of the characters themselves.
and you messed up your explanation, what you describe is what the $ does but has nothing to do with the !

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
and you messed up your explanation, what you describe is what the $ does but has nothing to do with the !
Doh, yes. Thank you for pointing that out, I meant the $ was what he wanted for what he described and not !.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait a sec. So my tall sprites for my characters had to be shifted, AND they have no shadow and don't 'walk in tall grass' because of the "!"? So I need a different approach to having tall character sprites?

I guess I'm learning things...
There is not supposed to be a ! in front of character sprites. "!" basically means "not a character" :p

Edit: Oh... There were replies after that pointing that out already.

dnel57

dnel57
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you all. What I was doing was making 32x64 pushable/pullable objects. So many people have asked how to do it,but, video tutorial always starts with the bookcase or whatever already in the graphic window and never tells how to get or create those kinds of images. So, after about 20 minutes of learning something about Gimp, I started making just those items. I have 5 now (bookcase, bureau and three different pillars and will be making more. I assume MV would only be a difference of 48x96 instead of 32x64.
Thanks, again.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I know it is solved, but I will explain why this. Because understanding is key.

Normally events show up 12 pixels higher than the grid. This is so characters walk on the middle of a path instead of right next to it.

That is why objects that do line up with the grid need to be marked, and this is indeed done by putting a ! in the beginning of the filename.

The $ has nothing to do with this. This is to mark the files as 1 4-directional object, in stead of 8 4-directional objects.

I hope this helps.
It's actually 4 pixels, at least in VX Ace. It might be more in MV/MZ though.

Attachments

• compare.png
    compare.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onbetme