Giving player on-screen compass = too much handholding?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I hate guessing based on the text, heck I don't even read sometimes.
Give me the exact location of the quest.

If you argue that would influence how I play the game, that depends on my initial impression of the game. Most of the time, I explore the game world of my own volition, I will save the quest marker for later when I want to progress the game. But if the game gave me the impression that the exploration ain't worth my time, then I could just follow the quest marker.

This is because I usually refuse to humor the game and the developer's design. If the world is handcrafted, I don't want my flow being interrupted such as "Go seek the clue yourself" when I can just ask the dev/game to guide me, or I can just open up the wiki. Things are different if the content is procedurally generated. Exploration would feel more meaningful in generated worlds.

Compass is a different thing though.
For RPG, If this compass/minimap interface is glued on the screen and it basically tells you where you can/can't walk, then I would unconsciously just watch the compass instead of watching the scenery. A separate menu scene for the map is fine though.

So yeah basically my summary:
- Quest Marker/Where to go: ✔
- Compass/Minimap: X

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! I’d like to ask where is a good place to start logging about my game dev progress as production of my game goes forth
In one of our campus classrooms was a bag full of stuff people forgot there... my bag. That I forgot there xD
You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayomitsu