GLITCHED - An existential RPG (FUNDED ON KICKSTARTER!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Neckboi, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Neckboi

Neckboi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

d9ff0dcb5e9f499b9494ad02a0c4e7fa.png

(art by  superchronophobia.tumblr.com)

A fourth wall breaking RPG where the hero slowly realizes that you, the player, exist.

We are funded on Kickstarter! Use the links below to check us out and keep up with the development of GLITCHED. You can play the demo below. Give us an email at EnHouseStudios@gmail.com if you encounter any bugs or just leave us a message here! Thanks!

KICKSTARTER TRAILER

Contents

~About~

~Story~

~Game Play & Battle Mechanics~

~Soundtrack~

~Screenshots~

~Credits & Plugins~

~Log~

ABOUT

GLITCHED is a mystery and exploration RPG with traditional turn based combat with a little bit of spice but will primarily focus on the story and how you change it. This will be done through the ESSENCE SYSTEM, which will track a player's personality and morality. After a glitch appears in the world of SOREN, our unexpected hero, Gus, will become aware of you- the player. Experience fourth wall breaking shenanigans while making decisions that will shape this world. 

tumblr_o700oxkdsR1v5h75co1_1280.png

In GLITCHED we’ve put a twist on the classic grinding and combat mechanics you’re used to seeing in role playing games. We’ve done away with random combat encounters, and instead you’re decisions through the Essence system allow you to pick and choose your battles. The “Essence System” will track your decisions to shape the kind of character Gus becomes. Your essence alignments will change how the world and characters interact with Gus, making some situations easier and others more difficult. 

[​IMG]

STORY

The small town of BETWIXT sits far removed from the events of the rest of the world and has always been home to GUS, our unlikely hero. Things remained ever constant until one day his best friend, CONRAD, told him he was going to leave for strange reasons.

Betwixt.png

On the night before CONRAD departs, an unexplained phenomenon, the glitch, seemingly erases his existence from the world. After coming face to face with the glitchGUS is able to interact and speak to you- the player of GLITCHED. The traumatic event of suddenly losing his friend significantly affects GUS, but luckily you’ll be there to guide him through.

Together, you and GUS will explore the world of SOREN and discover the truth behind it all. Each choice you make might influence who decides to be your friend or foe.

[​IMG]

You’ll travel from crowded cities to ancient kingdoms. Remnants and tales of the past will lead you to the answers of the present. You're bound to meet plenty of strange characters on your journey. Some will be friends and other foes- perhaps that choice is left up to you.

GAME PLAY & MECHANICS

[​IMG]

In GLITCHED, the ESSENCE SYSTEM will track a player's choices and shape their personality and morality. This system will give each player a unique experience. 

By exploring the world in your own way, you’ll generate points towards six different ESSENCEalignments. 

These alignments serve as personality types which will impact characters, story, and the world around you. Your interaction with NPCs, how you explore the environment, combat, and even your conversations with GUS will determine your ESSENCE.   

[​IMG]

Each ESSENCE focuses on certain character traits and ideologies. No ESSENCE is good or evil, but instead explains the reasons behind your actions. Through meeting and talking to different NPCs, you’ll get a better idea of what each ESSENCE is about. There are six different essence types with unique characteristics and attributes. Your essence can be changed from nearly any aspect of the game. Using an item, examining things around the world, talking to NPCs, and your choices in battle will all have an impact on your essence type. More details on each essence will be leading up to the release of the demo. 

[​IMG]

GLITCHED uses traditional turn based combat with a few twists:

• There is no leveling or random monster encounters.
    • All combat is story based and players will be making choices that may or may not lead to a brawl.
    • Leveling up and experience are also removed. 
    • Players will have to use different party members and equipment in order to change how they approach each battle.
    • Deciding to kill, spare, or find another way to stop a fight will all lead to different story outcomes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SOUNDTRACK

The soundtrack for GLITCHED features music composed by our very own Justin Hilton. Our friend Stijn Van Wakeren also composed a few songs and produced all of the tracks for the demo. Check out more of his work here. Visit the GLITCHED Soundcloud for more tracks here.  

SCREENSHOTS

unnamed.png tumblr_o5hcywfpEu1v5h75co1_1280.png tumblr_o700oxkdsR1v5h75co1_1280.png tumblr_inline_o6vofhXWE41tmx71p_540.png tumblr_o65jxa7vAr1v5h75co1_1280.png tumblr_o6pz9hhHUn1v5h75co1_1280.gif

CREDITS & PLUGINS

Channel Log

3/2/2016 ~ Updated the trailer to a more recent version

5/31/2016 ~ Updates content to match RPGMaker.net version

7/27/2016 ~ Kickstarter Update

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
    InkPotion, BCj, Whisper and 13 others like this.
  2. Mettool

Mettool Weenie Hut Jr. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm really surprised this hasn't gotten more attention on here. That's some splendid-looking pixel art going on.

Looking forward to it!

3. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I am absolutely looking forward to this. Best of luck with it!

4. McSundae

McSundae Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Looks pretty good - i'm hoping you are also releasing an osx version  :D  I would be really happy

5. Neckboi

Neckboi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!! It is coming to osx!

6. Olivier

Olivier Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That looks gorgeous. Loving the art style.

7. trevers18

trevers18 #hippomaster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes. All the yes. Shut up and take my existentialism. 

8. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This reminds me of Undertale design, looks cool.

9. Neckboi

Neckboi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    hey everyone just did some major updates with lots of content!

10. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Saw this on RMN. Looks pretty cool! Graphics are giving me a very Pokemon+Mother3 vibe. And sounds like it might be taking a little deeper look at negotiation-type battles, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  11. kibble

kibble Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I made an account just to follow this game specifically!! If you do start a kickstarter I'll try to donate!

You have my support on this game!  :D

12. Neckboi

Neckboi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Updated! Check out our campaign on Kickstarter and play the demo! And THANK YOU for everyone for supporting us!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  13. Crashic

Crashic Villager Member

Hello! Beautiful graphics and interesting story :) I am interested in how you got rid of the blur at full screen? font you used for graphics and SFont ?

14. Freank

Freank Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Woow !! Cool !

15. Abdulla Al-Farsi

Abdulla Al-Farsi Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    Very nice pixel art... well done... :)

Can't wait to play it. 

16. taistelusopuli

taistelusopuli Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    This game looks just amazing! Definitely a gem around here :)  Great job so far!

17. Nanaki_Fan

Nanaki_Fan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I too like the look of this! The trailer is a good one!

Following this closely.

18. BlissAuthority

BlissAuthority Dang, it feels good to be a Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I know you're probably getting sick of being compared to Undertale, but y'know what?  You come off looking good in the comparison.  This is an extremely exciting project that's doing everything right so far, and I'm stoked that you got Kickstarted.

19. Helladen

Helladen Deviant Designer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Undertale started back up the 4th wall break in game design. Before that, it was pretty rare. The comedy of the game is what made it a giant success and its characters. Which is good if he is compared to it, because it isn't like another Final Fantasy game that no one wants to play.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
  20. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Man, that giant kitty with butterfly wings is awesome!