SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There was something I was trying to do with my own project, setting up a world map using "loop both" instead of just "loop horizontal", in the hope that I could set set it up so that it feels like a realistically spherical planet. However, I realized recently that I might not be able to do exactly what I'd intended just by using that, as the way it would loop wouldn't work exactly the way I'd intended. So I thought of seeing if there was a way that world maps could actually be rigged up in a simulated sphere, and travel across them could then actually FEEL like travel across a planet, and not a flat map with loop on one or two sides.

The question is, how to accomplish this? If I could figure out a method, I'd like everyone who wants to make a realistically globe-shaped world map to be able to benefit, hence the thread.

The thing I figure would be most likely to be able to pull this off is Mode-7, but even then it still would probably require either clever world map tile design or parallax mapping, so everything fits the sphere shape properly. However, as far as I know, any Mode-7 plugins for RPG Maker MV are still in development, and can't pull off a spherical world map or something that feels like it yet.

An additional detail that could enhance the feel of traveling across a massive planet could be to use smaller sprites on the world map than other maps, giving a bit more a sense of how vast things are.

Edit: *sigh* I just realized that this probably should have been posted in General Discussion instead of Game Mechanics Design...

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrispy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Getting a world map to feel like its round in an RPG is difficult. Many people somehow have the north pole and south pole only a few tiles from each other, or, in the case of final fantasy games, there is only a north pole on most maps that somehow ends up being both. The main problem is that you are trying to get a square map feel like a round world. Its not possible under any circumstance. Just look at all the ways people have tried to draw our world map onto a flat piece of paper. It will never feel like a continuous globe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections).

On an actual sphere, you can pick any point on that sphere, and go in any direction. You will end up back where you started after circling the sphere once. No matter how many different directions you go, the distance to end up back at the same point is always the same. Every single one of those map projections do have a line or two where you can fully cross the globe and end up back at the same location you started from, but every other direction is either longer or shorter, which means it will never feel like an actual sphere.

The best idea I can think of is a map projection that has the north pole at the center of the map, and the south pole at the corners of the map (Peirce Quincuncial Projection). This is nearly perfect to make a looping map feel like you are on a globe, except that your compass will always point to the center of the map instead of up. Any direction you head from the center of the map will be south, until you cross the edge and start to go north again towards the center. There are also parts of the map where you will technically go south but never reach the south pole, instead, go north all over again. Its not a perfect solution, especially in a top down, 2D style of game, but could possibly feel more or less like a round world if you can get mode-7 to work

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd just like to take a moment and point out that if you make your world map loop both or give it a globe-like feel, regardless of Mode-7 or other scripts/ plugins you may use you are going to end up with your world being a torus. Just a fun thought to add~

18yxc2x98wxdvgif.gif

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Maybe you could do something like this?

Make a black Picture with a hole cut out (and stars). And an inner glow of darkness and maybe a bright highlight in the upper left corner to make it look like everything below the whole is the surface of a sphere. You could have the Picture keep swapping to make stars twinkle etc too. You could make the picture change depending on where you are on the map.

And have a looping Parallax background for the actual map with a very tiny sprite. It's not the most convincing thing ever but it might work decently enough if you put more effort in than my crappy test here.

I replaced the characters movement with [If LEFT is held, Move Player Upper Left] etc. to make the globe feel more organic. You could have it so that when holding Shift, the character moves Up/Down/Left/Right also. So you have all 8 directions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ash's idea is pretty cool.  Besides that, I don't really have any good ideas - a spherical world map is really much more something to try in a 3D game engine - but I do want to note that "Loop Both" doesn't result in a spherical world anyhow - globes (and all spheres) only wrap in one direction.  If you were to walk past the North Pole, you'd end up still very far north (except unlike a Horizontal Wrap only, you'd be 180 degrees farther in longitude, rather than simply hitting an invisible wall).  It's best to simulate it with completely inaccessible poles and one dimension of Wrap.

TTKOZ

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A way to make it seem more spherical, would be to have it loop horizontally, but when moving off the top or bottom you are transported left or right by haf the size of the map.

For example 100x100 map, walk of the top at 35,0 facing up, transfer to 85,0 facing down.

It's not much but it will make it seem like you are moving on a rectangularised version of globe with north pole at the top and southpole at the center, as opposed to looping vertically.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A way to make it seem more spherical, would be to have it loop horizontally, but when moving off the top or bottom you are transported left or right by haf the size of the map.

For example 100x100 map, walk of the top at 35,0 facing up, transfer to 85,0 facing down.

It's not much but it will make it seem like you are moving on a rectangularised version of globe with north pole at the top and southpole at the center, as opposed to looping vertically.

This is exactly how a 3D sphere would be represented on a 2D plane, but my God it would be bewildering to the player! :D

SpacemanFive

Meteor Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's one the possibilities I was thinking of, but yeah, it would be really potentially confusing to players without it actually being represented on a sphere.

Ash's idea is good, although personally, I want to try pursuing tricks with Mode-7 if I can at all.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd just like to take a moment and point out that if you make your world map loop both or give it a globe-like feel, regardless of Mode-7 or other scripts/ plugins you may use you are going to end up with your world being a torus. Just a fun thought to add~

Hidden Content

That gif is... astounding. That's how they did the CT map? It's... beautiful.

RhuneEmbah

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've tried this myself and had no end of problems until I realised that a cube shaped world can be used to create this type of effect. Although I was using it in an open world type game.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[necro]RhuneEmbah[/necro]
[mod]Closing[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A woman gave me her number without me even asking for it. Then she left because she had other patients to see.
oh, hey, I forgot about all this!

my old project got abandoned after I started working too much on stuff I'd already worked on - plus, starting to hate the story I wrote for it. Then, well, a lot of serious life **** went down. I ended up moving across the country, cutting off some people, etc. - **** was rough.

So, uh, I guess I'm back for now? Funny how things work.
I'm glad I'm sticking to my guns on having fighting game mechanics in my game, from what I've read, it's not for everyone. but for the most part, I've made it so you don't have to use them motion inputs for attacks if you don't want to.
And my project's just entered the Lunar New Year Sale 2022... Let's see if it reaches it's goal of $ 7,77.
Ohmygoodness I played Dicey Dungeons for the first time last night. Gave me SO MANY IDEAS for how to fix Heidi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orchid_mantis