Goats on a Bridge [Updated Version 1.3 Available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Cabygon, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    We've finally managed to prepare as much as we could of our game and uploaded it for the contest @_@.

We hope you enjoy the game if you're interested in giving it a whirl. The game's based loosely upon the 3 Billy Goats Gruff fairy tale.

We've unlocked all levels for the purpose of this contest. Please feel free to let us know if you come across any bugs so we can fix them for the later version as we polish the game =D

Time:
    15min~over an hour >.> (It really depends how fast you can go)

Genre:

Double Platformer? Platformer Squared?

Feel free to read more/download the game here:

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/228#.U7HJXNLALWY

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vxai9zb2kc4jwzp/Goatsonabridge1.3.rar/ (DYNAMIC LIGHTING! SHADOWS! A PAUSE BUTTON! HURRAY!)

Version Updates:

-Dynamic Lighting & Shadows are now working as intended.

-Pause button implemented. (Hit ESC to pause game while in a level)

-Tempo won't get knocked out on level 3 bug fixed.

-Goat collision had some slight adjustments.

-Anti-cheat code activated. Aka. Running too far ahead with 1 Goat will cause the other to be dragged forward eventually, leading to certain doom if not moved out of harm's way.

Lovingly Built from the ground up the Game Features are:
    Pros:
    -Single player 2 handed platformer mayhem.

- Kickass original art, assets and soundtracks
    - Collectables & Gold coins
    - 10 time based levels and confused hands
    - Goats (No relation to Goat simulator! Please don't sue us!)
    - Probable rage and flying keyboards
    - Supports PS4/Xbox Controllers which you can remap in the options tab (at least we tested those, though you will have to remap keys) We don't have other controllers to test on, so feel free to try but we can't guarantee it'll work 100%) It should work on ps4 controllers by default. 
    - Swag Equipment! (just in the nick of time!)

Cons:
    -Death, much death.
    -More death.

-Confused hands.

-Confused goats.

Some screenies:
    MainMenu2.jpg Sunset2.jpg Swag.jpg Swag2.jpg Collectables.jpg

MINI EVENT!

Ended. Winners have been contacted, looking forward to working with you guys soon =D

Answers were: Mirror, Conch/Snailshell/Nautilus (as long as it was a crustacean shell really), Colosseum/Arena, Skull, Graduation Hat/Motorboard, Dumbbells & Dice.

Known Bugs:

Upon completing level 4 and clicking next stage, it brings you to stage 2. Instead, please return to level select and click level 5 to access it from there. (fixed)

Shadows appearing on some PCs and not on others.

Cheers =D

~Caby

GOATLogo.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Jaide and Bukarett like this.
  2. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That... is adorable... This game has some potential if the gameplay is half as good as the art style.

3. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hehe thanks =)

The gameplay was rather experimental to say the least, but we hope people have fun with it regardless

Looking forward to trying out your game too~ XD

4. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks like my kind of game! I'll give this a shot.

5. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    =D Thanks Ratty! Might want to redl though (editted the link) just fixed a couple last min bugs =X

6. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, played through it finally. Again, I adore the graphics. So simple, yet beautiful and fun to look at. That said, there is a glaring issue with the game, and that is the controls. Playing this game with two hands is the equivalent of doing finger yoga. I want to love this game cause it is just so joyful looking, and I love the characters, but the controls hurt it significantly for me.

7. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I had the same problem, but apparently I found out that the little Gear symbol near the bottom of the screen allows you to configure the controls. You kind of need to, just for that reason.

8. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wait, I didn't see that. Alright, going to give it another try then.

9. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Was it better for you guys after button remapping? o.o Alternatively if you do happen to have xbox/ps4 controllers, they work as well. (Not sure about other controllers, didn't have those handy to test on).

Hehe =X thanks to Ratty, we did manage to change the gear into a literal config word button with gear right before the submission deadline ended and reuploaded so thank you for the swift feedback at the time =3

10. kurohio

kurohio Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Button remapping definitely helps a lot and makes the game a lot more enjoyable. I still feel like throwing my keyboard out the window at times, but thats mainly because I suck at platformers. I'm hoping to get farther to see more art!

11. hyperhelios

hyperhelios Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Goats on a Bridge, purposefully killing goats has never been more adorable.

12. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support and comments so far =)
    We're currently working on fixing a few bugs and will prolly add a patched version to this thread while the judging goes on to at least make it more entertaining while we wait for the results.

o_o Also did anyone actually notice that in the main contest page? o-o

Long story short we kinda stuffed a mini event into the monologue we had there >>; gonna repost it here so those who are interested can guess around while waiting on results XD

MINI EVENT!
    In the name of good fun while we wait on the judging and stuff going on, please refer to our world map image. First Person or Person with the closest guess when the contest ends via posting in the comments below as to what objects inspired the 7 islands is welcome to collab an idea with us to create a playable character for the game (we do plan to have more characters than just Tempo and Chubbs down the line).

[​IMG]

13. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Made a video :D

14. migidu

migidu Villager Member

i liked it! worth my time, lots of potential. like it says confused hands is the trademark!

Gameplay: 4/5 Confused Hands

Presentation: 3/5 Audio Visuals really good and cute. not hurtful to eyes.

Fun Factor: 4/5 lots of deaths, rewarding when you get pass them. very challenging eye finger coordination!

for the world map:

1. sauna/ mirror? er leche flan

2. kangaroo on a platform? the tree with a root drooping on waters

3. orc/troll skull/head, eyes and teeth

4. spiral cupcake? cinnamon cupcake?

5. arena

6. dumb bells

7. dice/ chocolate brownies!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    Cabygon likes this.
  15. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yay you're the 1st person to attempt the guessing o_o that automatically puts you in the lead! You got quite a few right btw. =D

Thanks for the review Migidu! ^_^

16. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay okay okay okay okay Professional Review Time:

[​IMG]

CHUBBS <3 <3

Hmm, maybe actual words now:

This game is like - so cute. I didn't find the controls that bad, though I did learn that the right shift on my keyboard sure is in an awkward spot. I haven't managed to clear the third level (Whoops, I tend to double jump off of the bridge a lot) I am certainly going to be playing this game some more in the future because it's really entertaining. There's some clipping error stuff or something that makes for some rather unfair deaths. (I find the fact that clipping the boxes while you turn around can kill you to be a bit extreme)

I wish I could give more constructive feedback, but this is waaaay out of my genre of understanding. It's fun, and cute, and really refreshingly different. The art is so nice and the music and bleating goat sounds is so upbeat and charming and

Chubbs.

Chubbs. He sells this whole game for me ^-^

Great work to everyone involved! And best of luck in the contest~

Adellie likes this.
  17. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    FANGIRLING. MASSIVE FANGIRLING. (I think I just fangirled for a good 20minutes there.) That picture of Chubbs is sooooooo cute Makio!! <3<3<3

Glad you're enjoying the game =D!!! (And Chubbs!)

On a more serious note, what do you mean by clipping when you turn around? You mean after you jump and turn around to jump back over for something missed? (cause we admittedly diiiid put the same collider on the lower back of the box for people attempting to jump backwards =X) Or did you mean when turning sideways? Would like to look into it =3

(Also would you mind terribly if I linked that Chubbs pic on the fb we just created?) It's so cute ;w;!!!

((Also again, maybe try taking part in our mini event XD it'll be fun to collab if you win ohohoho))~

18. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Hi Cabygon, I couldn't resist trying your game. The visuals looked so fantastic in the screenshots and video.

Liked:

* Visually pleasant with lots of great resources, cuteness overload, and the maps looked great as well.

* I love the fact that it can be played by 2 players. Boy do i miss multiple-player-single-terminal games. Unfortunately, no one was around when i tried it so i played it solo. ;-;

Disliked:

* Dialogues that kept popping up got tiring very quickly.

* I didn't think that the controls themselves were poor; the default keybindings were actually quite natural for me. However, I feel like there are some clarity issues that makes it hard to control the goats exactly the way you want to. It's a mix of the camera angle, the goats' movement animations, and some other stuff. Some examples: If i'm forward-facing, I can't easily tell if i'm gonna hit a crate when i finish jumping. A few times, i was so close to the edge of the platform, i thought i was going to fall into the water but i didn't. I can't tell whether or not i'm still under a sign when i'm ducking, particularly when chubs is rolling... although its adorable.

* As Makio-Kuta mentioned, some deaths feel a bit unfair. Such is the case when you inch up to a crate, and it KO's you.

Issues: none encountered.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  19. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes! You certainly can post the little Chubbs drawing on face book. I'm glad you like it. He's just. so. cute. ah I love him.

As for the clipping issues, I'm referring to when I've run too close to the boxes and try to turn around to get a better angle and distance. Sometimes in the act of turning the goat around, he gets too close (by the game's standards) and game over. :( It was hard to see what part of him touched the box, but it didn't look like it took much. It was less of an issue as I started to get a handle of gauging when to jump better. (after I left my comment I played some more. Still haven't beat the third level xD But I got close! And was able to start making goats jump at the same time rather than one and then the other haha)

Letsee! Starting at 6o'clock(ish) and going clockwise

- Mirror
    - Graduation Hat

- Skull

- Crown

- Brownie

- Dumbbell

- Snail's Shell

uah-creating a character would be so much fun :>

20. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    o.o it's actually meant to be a single player game. Thoughhhh I think we can think about having a 2P mode, that does sound pretty neat actually.

Silly question but... while you were playing did you have shadows? We've found out that shadows aren't displaying for some people for some reason we're trying to figure out why. Figure it would really be a problem if it doesn't show up since that does help with the depth perception.

However we'll look into the clipping box and see if we can do anything about it. Thank you for the awesome feed back =D

As for the goat dialogue, we'll see if we can implement a mute goats function for those that find them a little too chatty =X

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014