Goats on a Bridge [Updated Version 1.3 Available]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Cabygon, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Oh i figured it was supposed to be for 1P. I meant i like that it can be 2P at the computer.

I didn't have shadows! (Windows 7 64bit)

And yes, I actually did miss that in the wall of text. I'll ponder what objects they're supposed to be...

2. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh XD Yus it can be 2P'd that way ahahah. (Yus, I'm being a derp XD;; )

TT; ugh that is not good, we're looking into the shadow thing and will see if we can fix it for the next version update. That should improve things for people affected by it methinks!

Good luck with the guessing =D!

3. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Graphics are bright and appealing.

+Chubby’s “dialog”.

+Chubby in general darnit!

+THE GOATS ARE CUTE, OKAY?!

+ROLL ROLL THOSE FAT ROLLS~

+Ahem. Overall presentation is quite good.

-Controls. Too slippery and felt…off.

-High difficulty with no real learning curve.

-Some of the animations are underwhelming.

-Camera is a cute when you try to move one single goat.

To the developer: Fix the controls, fix the difficulty (better starting levels with more space to move) and you’d have a very neat game. As it is it felt too difficult for a clumsy person like me and I could not get past the first level. =_= It still made me laugh tho, a pity I just don’t have the skill for these things.

In this case, I feel like “tile based” stiff movement would actually WORK with this game.

4. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the review Indrah =D

Pleased to hear that Chubbs is your Spirit Animal =O!!!

o_o It seems you have uncovered a bug (which I've just fixed) when >_> Tempo didn't get knocked out in lv3. It's a pity you didn't make it through though XD it looked as if you were about to clear the level too!

We are infact overhauling some of the animations and adding new ones for like when they knock themselves out XD (We'll endeavor to keep Chubbs as derpy as possible)

Admittedly amped up the difficulty cause we didn't want it to be beaten too fast as an entire game with only 10 levels atm (but that seemed to work itself out because some people actually enjoy the difficulty) >3>;;;

We'll be making an 'easy mode' instead for those that prefer a more casual experience. (Hope you'll try that one then when we're done with it XD)

Controls, I think we can add an alternative central-axis based one which I think you're referring to instead of a front-axis (at the time we thought that felt more natural if we were the actual goat instead of turning on the spot). I think some games do do that with the legacy and alternative controls.

Tile based? You mean like tap 1 tile tap 1 tile? If you mean that, we are actually thinking about it for say a mobile port if we manage that down the line.

Though it does present an alternative playmode.... XD I think coder buddy's going to scream when I mention all this to him. Wheeee! (He freaks everytime I say I have a new idea >.>...I wonder why?)

Thanks again for the review! Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  5. migidu

migidu Villager Member

i have a suggestion. for easy mode, i hope there's a flashing guide on what button to press on the upper corners, so that even when not looking at the path, you could still make them go forward. since this is per tile, the guide will flash what button to press about the next tile. con, this might actually change the gameplay like that of finger pressing games.

6. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Updated the 1st post with link to version 1.3. Shadows are working! Whoo! Oh and Esc as a pause button now works (change your buttons anytime!)

@migidu Hmm... will see what we can do, was thinking more along the lines of easier and wider platforms before slowly baking players over a hot grill/throwing them into the fires of mt.Doom.

Next on the list:
    -Improved/new animation

-Alternative controls

-Death counter (oh surely you want to see how many times you've fallen off/smacked your head/landed on spikes)

-Easy mode levels

to name a few.

And oh snap! We the news in Crunchyroll's German site(THANK YOU!) o_o. (totally had to use google translate there)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/07/knapp-700-spiele-zum-anspielen-im-indie-gamer-maker-contest-2014

7. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sooo, just to say we're not dead and such. We've been incredibly busy working on GAOB to bring it closer to an official game launch state. (We're also working on a mobile version too!)

Here's a little sneak peak at a new character playable in the survival mode that we've been working on.

Meet Donut!

Preview of aforementioned Mobile version:

Screenshot_2014-09-04-12-31-10.png

We'll be posting more news soon, we know we've been keeping quiet for awhile and apologize for that!

People who found the game too hard will probably be happy to hear we've added an Easy Mode/Filthy Casual mode to the game as well=3

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    Venka likes this.