Goblin Noir: Cement Shoes are Highly Unfashionable- Full Release updated to V1.01

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, I am a fan of the setting. Get some exposure by making sure Indrah is playing the latest version! :) (she downloaded all of the games two days ago if I'm not mistaken)
I'm glad you like the setting! Its actually in my spare time for years, since it was originally meant for a webcomic. The characters for this story are mostly new though, and the story for the game is also completely new.

As for Indrah, I've actually sent her a PM with the correct link for the game. I don't know whether or not she intended to play it though, because chances are she is already half exhausted playing not quite finished RPG maker games.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As for Indrah, I've actually sent her a PM with the correct link for the game. I don't know whether or not she intended to play it though, because chances are she is already half exhausted playing not quite finished RPG maker games.
Wha? I don't think this has anything to do with exhaustion. If you see here, you'll notice your game is among those to be played on livestream tomorrow ;D

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All righty, I've played the whole thing and it was awesome. I really like how all the verbal battles were done and that each of the skills comes useful at some point, even just waiting. Hehe. Though at times it's a bit unclear what could happen with each one or when making a choice given by an enemy. So sometimes it feels like a bit of a trial and error. But overall it was great. I also like how at times it's possible to win by more than just one way, like with the red-dress orc woman. Perhaps my favourite ones were the bouncer book club person and the final boss. :p

I also love the whole tone of the setting and all the dark humour and witty jokes. I had a great laugh at many of the comments by characters. And Sheila is a very well-developed and likeable protagonist. Really great stuff there. The setting is really rich. In fact would love to see more of it in perhaps future installments.

Just a few minor bugs, issues, and suggestions:

- There are a few spelling and punctuation errors in the dialogues. It's worth double checking on those.

- It's possible to keep picking up more shell casings in the warehouse by interacting with the ones on the floor, but there really is no need for it. So maybe having a switch there is a good idea.

- In the back alley, there is a door on the left to the one you need to go to, and there probably is no need to go there, but it feels odd that the railings prevent me from getting to it. Maybe those railing are best to be set on 'Above characters'

- When Uncle Benny and his bodyguards appear at the door of the bar right after the verbal battles, they kind of appear too abruptly and you can see it. As a suggestion maybe it's better to have them appear there earlier.

- The door I mentioned earlier is still possible to walk on and reach the ceiling. It's the one right next to the red-dress woman.

- Mapping in the temple seems a bit empty. I think it'd be nice to have more stuff in it (in the lower part at least).

- The Ending kind of happens too abruptly. Would've been nice to see perhaps a small cutscene and get a bit more closure.

- I noticed Sheila had equipment in the whole game, but there was no need to use it at any point. I think it might be a good idea to remove that menu command altogether, since it serves no purpose really. Though I think what would be cool (maybe for future chapters to this story/setting) is to have outfits affect the actual dialogues. For example a pretty seductive dress might make flirting more effective, or a scary outfit might make intimidate more useful, and so on.

Enjoyed the game overall and would definitely recommend everyone to check it out. I've already given a vote a couple of days ago and also left a small mini-review on the 'rate each game out of 5' topic, though I might update it now that I've played the whole game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Congratulations on passing the Indrah review :)

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^Lol. What happened? Mostly positive stuff?

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Strong dialog (with a few odd uses of language here and there, but nothing major)

+Good presentation

+Character portraits are full of personality

+Nice use of fantasy races+“modern” setting.

+Dialog does overall a very good job with making each character feel distinct.

+The combat system is intuitive and very fun.

+The combat is REALLY FUN damnit (it ruined my livestream, I stopped paying attention to commenting because I was too busy just PLAYING)

-The sprites clashed with the environment quite a bit.

-The menu lacks some color and is a bit stark and hard on the eye. (Plus the submenus being default makes it look unfinished.

-I’m not a fan of the default font (personal bias).

-WHY WON’T YOU LET ME SEDUCE THIS DAMN SHMUCK (not a real minus, just me *****ing)

To the developer: This is definitely a game I want to play for my own after the enormous game list is done. I enjoyed it a lot (I’m sure you can tell by the squealing during the video…) and being someone quite demanding with good writing I was very nicely surprised and enjoyed the fight much more than I’d have expected (I’m not a great fan of gangster stories or mysteries). Overall, great job. There are a few nitpicks here and there, but definitely nothing that would stop me from playing this.

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
Awesome stuff! Well done, guys. This game definitely deserves more attention.
The entry needs more vote. Only 3 votes were there... sadly. It can boost its possibility until the end of the people's choice (I bet some games will be disqualified). 

valkill101

Alien Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There are still 2 days for voting of Peoples Choice, so you still have a chance.

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For the record, since the actual download link for the game doesn't work on the game page, I'd love to ask a few of you to thumbs up Radient Cadenza's comment with the updated link if its not too much of a problem.  THat way the link won't sink down in the comments.

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
For the record, since the actual download link for the game doesn't work on the game page, I'd love to ask a few of you to thumbs up Radient Cadenza's comment with the updated link if its not too much of a problem.  THat way the link won't sink down in the comments.
Sadly, mine was either. I just hope they gave a chance to fix the link again during the contest but it would cause many issues so I'll just be a observer. lol.

But that's good idea, actually, I'll vote that comment!

Merlandese

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great idea for a game! Mixing the narrative and the system is a huge plus, and it's something RPGs typically lack.

The characters had real personality; I love it when an MC has her own traits and hobbies, even if they aren't relate-able to everyone. And the setting is right up my alley. It has some flaws, but quite a bit of them can be written off as effects from the time constraint. I want this game polished and sold to me.

Even if it doesn't qualify for the contest (looks like that might be the case, according to your page), great creations like this are really the best part of even having a contest. Best of luck!

valkill101

Alien Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@kartersaint: Whoa, I stand corrected. This is very good news indeed!

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
@kartersaint: Whoa, I stand corrected. This is very good news indeed!
This is just my thought, but I think people in this forum need to attend the official website frequently. 

This is the "FIRST" contest of RPG Maker and they have a chance to provide some feedback or opinion about how to polish the contest as better way. 

It makes me sad some people seemed to throw their game to contest and never look back again...  

They may miss some crucial suggestions of the people.

Last edited by a moderator:

valkill101

Alien Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I try and check The official site every day, though I still haven't gotten a single comment however.

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
I try and check The official site every day, though I still haven't gotten a single comment however.
You gave me a decision to try your game! I like to try the games that not well-known to public and uncover the potential of those games. 

It may off-topic to the this Goblin Noir entry but you'll be prepared of my comment at someday.

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great idea for a game! Mixing the narrative and the system is a huge plus, and it's something RPGs typically lack.

The characters had real personality; I love it when an MC has her own traits and hobbies, even if they aren't relate-able to everyone. And the setting is right up my alley. It has some flaws, but quite a bit of them can be written off as effects from the time constraint. I want this game polished and sold to me.

Even if it doesn't qualify for the contest (looks like that might be the case, according to your page), great creations like this are really the best part of even having a contest. Best of luck!
I'm psyched you like the game so much. My friend and I worked on this game the entire month and its fantastic to hear a good response.

We intend to polish this game as much as we reasonably can and maybe someday we'll follow up with something :) .

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
tomorrow is the finale of my Endurance
2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaotic_Nyoom