Goblin Noir: Cement Shoes are Highly Unfashionable- Full Release updated to V1.01

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yo! The game doesn't seem to be getting much traction over on RMN, it doesn't even have a rating yet.

It would really be helpful if you've played the game and enjoyed it, that you could toss a review on the website here http://rpgmaker.net/games/6635/ .

Little things like that really help catch someones attention, (especially if you give it a five star review)  and help people look past the graphics, which is the only thing people see when they go to the page and is one of the few things that is constantly criticized (fairly) by reviewers here. 

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
The thing on that website takes many times. You need to be patient. Anyway, you can upload it on other websites. But you get many things to handle yourself. Yeah. 

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Since I realize it probably just the people who played our game reading this thread, I've decided to toss up a quick little survey about your experience with our game.  The reviews are incredibly useful and confidence boosting, but since most of us can't watch you play our game we don't know which section you have trouble with, which paths most of you skip or miss, or which little things in the game you miss entirely.

Question #1

Did you have any trouble completing our game? If so where?

Question #2 

What were your favourite characters? WOuld you like to see any of them again in the future?

Question #3

Did you lose? If so where?

Question #4

At one point there is a battle where you can drink wine. Did you drink that wine?

Question # 5 (and its always been 5 I don't know what you are talking about)

If we make a sequel, what would you like  in that sequel? No limits on this question, put whatever crazy feature you would want in this game. We may not include it, but it gives us inspiration for how else we can improve the game.

If you do respond, it might be nice for you to put answers under a spoiler warning. I've always felt that if a spoiler ruins an entire story, than it wasn't that good in the first place, BUT some other people don't feel that way.  

Last edited by a moderator:

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
Here's the answers. 

1. I didn't face any troubles, yeah there might be numerous typo and grammatical errors in the game. However, actually I really didn't mind it when I play the game. Since the game itself put a hard work within one month, that's acceptable. And... as being a person who's still learning English, I only beat the game with my speculation techniques. But like others said, fixing the typos is somehow important for a text-base game. Now there's a lot of time to fix it excluding the case of the contest.

2. My favourite character is definitely Sheiia. I like her personality and actually that type of girl is my type.. until I change my mind. As the her major role of the game, it's obviously she is a recurring character of the game. So I bet she can be appeared at any your further project. And... I also like the cop. He's not corrupted. And the set of the game is 1920. I'm going to bet, you guys will make a next episode that he's a main character, and making a revolution against corruption. Before you do this thing, you need to study more history about the modern back ally. Well guess you seem to experience a lot of Noire films, I believe you can do it. 

3. ... I just spammed the save functions. But mostly I lose at the battle with a deranged priest. Sudden death gave me a little pressure.

4. Ork Madame gave a wine. And Sheila drunk it. But I really didn't mind since she's only beatable character while consuming alcohol.

5. I wrote some ideas at answer 2. And as I wrote a review for you guys, I trust you're going to get many inspirations from Fantasy and transform them to your game. So I bet you guys already have tons of inspirations. But if you want something more, just ask me.
Finished firstly.  

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I might have to play again on the full version of the game since I am not sure what changes have been made since the beta, but my answers are based on my experience playing the beta.

Q1

Not really. The game's flow was good. All the battles were fun and doable, and there weren't any frustrating puzzles that could take ages to solve. All the solutions to get the story going were always within the area.

Q2

Sheila definitely would be the best character for me. She was really well-developed and likeable. I'd definitely be interested to experience more of her adventures. The other characters I liked (and would like to see more of): The Bouncer Book Person :p , The Cop, The Priest, The Lady in the red dress, The Don.

Q3

I did lose a few times. I lost the first time to the doorman, but I managed to beat him on the second try. I also lost to the Gang leader/Godfather, this time quite a number of times, because I exhausted all the options before trying out the 'potion'. Admittedly I first played this part in the contest version of the game which starts at the bar, and so the 'Potion' in my inventory was a bit confusing as I thought it was a healing item rather than alcohol to be used in conversations. Haha. I also lost once to the Priest because I thought pretending to obey him would throw him off, but instead I got an instant game over. I managed to beat him on the second try though. So there weren't any parts where I was stuck for long.

Q4

I assume that refers to the Godfather battle? If so, see above on my experience with it. I remember though the Red-dress woman had that option too as well as the Rock Mage. I think I tried drinking the wine in both instances, though I chose the 'sip' option rather than 'gulp'. I did like very much that it was possible to win the Red-Dress girl via two different ways. One time I did it via intimidation, the other time I did it via cheering her up when she fell in depression. So that was a very nice touch. I would not change any of that.

Q4 (again, haha, you mean Q5)

I suppose more dialogue options would be great. It might be harder to event with more options, but it would be nice. Maybe not all of them will be available right away, kind of like how here we learnt the joke skill only after beating the doorman, so maybe the same mechanic can be applied in future installments.

Also as something I suggested during my review earlier, perhaps your attire can play a role in how effective each dialogue option is for you. Maybe a seductive outfit for example makes flirting easier, or a scary outfit makes intimidate succeed more of the time, etc.

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Yo! The game doesn't seem to be getting much traction over on RMN, it doesn't even have a rating yet.

It would really be helpful if you've played the game and enjoyed it, that you could toss a review on the website here http://rpgmaker.net/games/6635/ .

Little things like that really help catch someones attention, (especially if you give it a five star review)  and help people look past the graphics, which is the only thing people see when they go to the page and is one of the few things that is constantly criticized (fairly) by reviewers here.
Ratings take a while on RMN because reviews are submitted and moderated for spelling, grammar, length, consistency etc.. It means when they do get a review it's not going to be something off the cuff and badly structured, it's going to be coherent and usually constructive. The rating system has to be monitored because if you just had a 'pick a level between 1 and 5' it could easily be abused for personal reasons. With a rating linked to a review you'd better be able to justify the score you gave whether it is a 5 star, 'this is the best game ever made' or a 0.5 star, 'oh my this is terrible and had a game breaking bug' review. Trust me, other members of the community will call you on a review that says pretty good things and then gives a score that doesn't match the words.

Also I do have to disagree with you on the people only look at graphics viewpoint. Yes graphics are the windows to the game and they do play a role, but whilst pretty may influence in downloading a game it is far from the only thing. It's the story that I look at, the premise as outlined by the developer. The information they feed back to their subscribers and commenters that determine that, and more importantly, for me at least, it's the story that makes me play a game, pretty graphics are fun to look at and 'walk' through but without a reason to go for that walk, why be there?

Anyway the upshot of this is, I did I review over there, it's being moderated and if approved will be up soon.

also for your quiz;

Question #1

Did you have any trouble completing our game? If so where?

Nope, got through it all fine.But yes it does need a spell-checker.

Question #2 

What were your favourite characters? Would you like to see any of them again in the future?

Sheila obviously, she's the protagonist so she's the one you get to know best, and she's likeable. For the future other than Sheila, the policeman since I felt really bad winning that fight that way, the doorman, just because he's funny (and I want him to have a conversation with Sheila about Winnie the Pooh), Laura of the Red Dress, because she's got  tough road ahead of her given her last interaction with her brother.

oh and Maya, because mascots are always fun....

Question #3

Did you lose? If so where?

Nope, came very very close with the final battle, honestly I couldn't even see my health but I obviously had enough left for that last ditch strategy

Question #4

At one point there is a battle where you can drink wine. Did you drink that wine?

Yes, twice, both sips and the most i got in that one was tipsy. The other one with the potion, well I don't know what was in it, but I don't think t was wine.

Question # 5 (and its always been 5 I don't know what you are talking about)

If we make a sequel, what would you like  in that sequel? No limits on this question, put whatever crazy feature you would want in this game. We may not include it, but it gives us inspiration for how else we can improve the game.

I want to see The Don.

A reverse Chandler, a gumshoe comes looking for help from a dame.

I like the idea of a story with the cop, an honest man in a world which had a lot of corruption and vice. Maybe a fantastical take on Elliot Ness and the Untouchables.

Drunken Elf Mage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heh, I've that no one has actually discovered my favourite "death" in the game, which involved the cop.

Glad that everyone likes Sheila. When I was picking which character out of my comic that would star in this game, it was almost immediately going to be Sheila, since she became a recent favourite character of mine.

Nhubi

I'd politely disagree with you about Graphics. I find them extremely important in a game. The better looking a game is, the more it is implied that the game itself is polished complete. Its what you look at the entire time you play, and it helps you more easily swallow the inherent disconnect you get from playing a video game in the first place. 

The RPG maker community may be better than most at accepting games with lower than average graphics, but that's because everyone here knows that a lot of these games were made by enthusiastic amatuers (not that they aren't extremely talented either!).  I guess I just want to hold myself to the highest standard I can. If I can make a game that's as beautiful as I want it to be, than thats a win in my book.

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses
Heh, I've that no one has actually discovered my favourite "death" in the game, which involved the cop.

Glad that everyone likes Sheila. When I was picking which character out of my comic that would star in this game, it was almost immediately going to be Sheila, since she became a recent favourite character of mine.
Is that the one where you take out your gun? I got a kick out of that.

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
I'd politely disagree with you about Graphics. I find them extremely important in a game. The better looking a game is, the more it is implied that the game itself is polished complete. Its what you look at the entire time you play, and it helps you more easily swallow the inherent disconnect you get from playing a video game in the first place. 
The RPG maker community may be better than most at accepting games with lower than average graphics, but that's because everyone here knows that a lot of these games were made by enthusiastic amatuers (not that they aren't extremely talented either!).  I guess I just want to hold myself to the highest standard I can. If I can make a game that's as beautiful as I want it to be, than thats a win in my book.
No problem, you are more visually focussed than I am, that's not a bad thing, just a different perspective. I'm more for the narrative end of the scale. Oh and holding yourself to a high standard is good for the community as well as yourself, (as long as the expectation isn't set beyond your own stretch point) others will rise to meet the challenge and improve the community as a whole.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Nhubi

Agreed with you there. Also, 99% of the time if the graphics are bad the overall game is bad. It's true. The only exception I can think of is Peace of Mind which is pretty fantastic but the mapping is mediocre at best.

It's not true the other way around, though. Painted Heart looks amazing but has so-so gameplay.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zaj
Hey morning all! I got another quick question..I just switched to RMMZ from VX Ace..so I am wondering why default scripts(is that how u call it) of VXAce is available, but not in MZ's case? How do I figure out ahh I mean could you show me
Sometimes im the biggest fool alive... Ah well, ce la vie
The worst feeling in the world is going for a walk on a nice summer day, seeing an ice cream truck, and realizing you don't have any money with you :(
Mike running through an area that's influenced by his thoughts, thus his drawings are infused into the land.
We're playing Omori by OMOCAT starting at 2pm est :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kINGFreak13