Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

There's some artwork to get your attention.  :3

Hello and welcome!

I first bought RPG Maker VX Ace last summer, during the Steam Summer sale.  I went crazy with it and started on a big project, and I even posted it on this forum in the Early Project section.  Several users here helped me out with some things and made the game a much higher quality product, and I thank them for that.  Then I got tired of making it and quit.

Fast forward one year later!

I got back to it, and I’ve now created a lot more of the game.  It’s not completely done, but I would estimate it’s halfway finished.  However, due to my style of game-making, the stuff that IS done is completely done and playable, which means I can post it here for you amazing people to play and break it, and let me know all the improvements that need to be made!

As for the game itself, my goal here is to create something that’s more story-focused.  Also I should note that there are mature subject matters and whatnot, lots of gore descriptions, and a bit of sex, so that’s the official warning for that mess.  I’ll go on to the story synopsis now, and yeah it’s all total spoilers and it’ll probably make the game less enjoyable if you read all this.

Story Synopsis:

The setting is a traditional medieval fantasy setting, but more realistic, meaning no magic or magical beings and whatnot. The game opens with the main character, a woman who you name, who we’ll call “Recruit”, traveling through a forest in a thunderstorm. She’s joining up with a mercenary band called Bartram’s Maw. Currently, this band is being employed to help fight against an up-jumped warmonger who goes by the name “Goddess”. It’s just a name, as there’s no evidence of any kind of divine powers or anything.

If all of this sounds dreadfully cliché to you, good. It’s a backdrop designed to lull the player into getting comfortable. What I’m aiming here with the narrative is a story within a story. Eventually, the main character, Recruit, meets another member of Bartram’s Maw: “Red”, a mysterious and sadistic woman who instills fear into everyone she comes across. The main character becomes fascinated and enthralled with this woman, to the point of obsession, and decides to seek her out, and ask about her life, and how she became who she is today. In reality, the Recruit character desperately wants to make a name for herself, and she sees in Red someone who she just might want to be, even if she doesn’t know what she’s really asking for. Eventually, Red decides to go ahead with her life story, and that’s when the narrative completely changes. We go into a backflash, and the player then realizes that the person they named isn’t the main character at all, but rather, a fellow observer in the real main character’s story, who is Red. The main game actually IS Red telling her story, as in, it’s one big backflash. The Recruit character that you name only serves as an introduction to the story.

And as for Red’s story, well, it’s a series of horrible tragedies that have psychologically and physically scarred her for life, and throughout the game, she slowly turns into the monster that Recruit first comes across in the beginning of the game. At a focal point in her life is a younger girl who was born crippled and deformed, who Red has sworn to always protect and care for through her journeys. Red comes across several allies in her journeys, who all have dynamic personalities and often clash.

World Development:

The characters, story, and atmosphere are more important than world building in this story. That said, the world is a traditional medieval fantasy world, but without obvious magic and whatnot, similar to maybe Game of Thrones (okay, maybe there’s a few monsters, like ogres and trolls and snake monsters.) There are two primary kingdoms, Fauthien and Craelle. And then to the north is snowy expanses and wilderness, owned by nobody in particular, but is divided up into several tracts of land run by Viking style Jarls from their cozy, warm mead-halls. In the center of the map is where a tower is located, where the Goddess resides. However, in the backflash, or main game, this tower is not built yet. The land is considered the “neutral lands”, and is occupied by free people. The introduction to the game with Recruit in the future would take place near here, and Red’s story in the past would begin far to the north.

The introduction features a large inn that’s has a lot of effort put into it. It’s called The Rushlight, and I wanted it to be a playground of sorts, with several features to interact with. There’s the patrons to talk to, drunken buffoons, dancers, ladies of the night, old men telling stories, oddball merc members, secret doors and passageways, hidden treasures, rats in basements (lol), and plenty more. I didn’t want it to be a quick in and out inn like you would traditionally see, but rather a living area with plenty to do (in fact, in order to progress, there’s a little money hunt you have to do in order to purchase an important item, so you’ve got to explore the inn).

And then when you get to Red’s story, you open up an enormous map, and travel from town to town, settlement to settlement, dungeons levels as well, and come across different adventures and tragedies.

But the world is largely expandable as I continue the story. There’s room for plenty more world building.

Screenshots:
This is all massive spoiler stuff, so look at it with one eye closed if you plan on playing!
First, some mapping.  Here's the overworld map, as well as several random maps of areas in the game:

Here's some general pictures.  I like to include a lot of dialogue choices:

Entice ladies of the night!   vvv

Major spoilers here, but you get your own wolf, and you can name it:

There are non-violent solutions to some problems.  They may lead you into very interesting devlopements as well!  vvv

And here we are, possibly the most terrifying video game sequence in all of video history, the Night of the Fish-People:

I have a lot more pics, but I think I've already posted too many.  o_O  I wonder if there's a pic posting limit rule on this forum.  <_>
Edit: Oh wow, I forgot a whole section when I first posted this.  Here's the rest, lol:

So that’s the basics.  A few notes.  The game as is, should take maybe three hours?  That’s a really wild guess.  Could be less if you rush, could be a lot more if you like to take your time and explore, or grind for levels and money.

I’ve given the MP and TP bars a new coat of paint, and are now called Tools and Willpower, respectively.  So no magic.  Tools is a catch-all term that represents anything you have on hand and can “Macgyver” a special move out of.  Examples would be bandages for healing, throwing knives, or arrows, or bombs, or things like that.  Using a knife throw move at an enemy would use up 5 Tool resources, for instance.  Basically the end result is the same as magic and spells, it’s just a different flavor.  Willpower is just for traditional physical special moves, like charging an enemy or whatever.  Also, one other little thing I’m changing up is you don’t get any money from defeated enemies.  Instead, there’s a random chance of them dropping resources.  For instance, you could get wings from a bat or whatever.  Then, when you go back to town, you can sell them all, and that’s how you get your money.  I think this is interesting for a couple reasons.  One, it’s more realistic.  Money isn’t exploding out of rats anymore.  Also, in Red’s story, she’s a hunter and trapper that lives in the wild, so it fits, aesthetically.  She’ll be skinning hides and selling them to vendors.  Also, I think it might provide a pleasing sensation, coming back from a dungeon or whatever, with no money to show for it, but then bam, you sell all your materials at once, and you suddenly see that gold number shoot up.  Again, end result is the same, it’s just a different flavor of doing it.

Another feature that is included and will be expanded on is Red’s “Journal” item.  You get this item once you collect your full, four-member party.  When you use the item, you can view your current relationship status with your party members.  The higher the number, the more they like you.  Like Dragon Age.  The beginning of this system is introduced here, and in the full game, I hope to develop romances and whatnot, making you choose between your party members.

Play the whole thing, give comments, note bugs, and get a spot in the credits as game tester!  :D

Oh, one last thing.  There are a few people who played the original demo build, which just includes the introduction.  To accommodate these people, I’ve put a prompt at the beginning asking if you want to skip the introduction.  If you’ve already played it, then go ahead and do so.  But if you’ve never played this before, make sure to start from the beginning!  You’ll just be confused if you don’t!

Here's the download link with NO RTP:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VVrxJYHz50VGJVWXNvSmhPNTg/edit?usp=sharing

And the download link WITH RTP:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VVrxJYHz50dGFSS0RhSHFCRFE/edit?usp=sharing

Topic header big sword lady artwork by the talented MrVagary.  Other credits found in game.  =D

Here's a new Let's Play of the game:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh and also, here are some Let's Play videos by vahndragonwing:

Part 1:

Part 2:

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Pros

Choices! choices galore!

good mapping(imo anyway)

female lead!

sadist fan service(debatable if this is a pro)

somewhat intriguing story concept

little to no grammar mistakes(these drive me crazy)

cons

Generic-lol...at least i can only see one  : D(also debatable)

//

this game remined me of how i want more unique leads and plots in games

-getting to play as the overlord,murder,general bad guy that does bad things

-play as a angel and go around healing or punishing people by gods will with multiple endings based on your choices

-more non battle story driven games,that arent horror

would be some things the community could use

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Pros

Choices! choices galore!

good mapping(imo anyway)

female lead!

sadist fan service(debatableif this is a pro)

somewhat intriguing story concept

little to no grammar mistakes(thes drive me crazy)

cons

Generic-lol...at least i can only see one  : D(also debatable)

//

this game remined me of how i want more unique leads and plots in games

-getting to play as the overlord,murder,general bad guy that does bad things

-play as a angel and go around healing or punishing people by gods will with multiple endings based on your choices

-more non battle story driven games,that arent horror

would be some things the community could use
Thanks for taking a look.  And yeah, sadist fan service is good.  =P

But your con list is slightly confusing, because in this game, you DO end up playing as the "bad guy", who is Red.  At least, in her current form she's villainous.  The game is all about how she gets to that point.

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
oh the only con was generik

after the // thats seprate thoughts :3

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh well that's good, lol.

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Decided to play the game today,i had put ALOT of time into the game and not finished,so below are random thoughts spoilers all the good stuff :3

-Amazing,a camp fire that works in a storm!
-ALOT of npcs!pretty good stuff :D
-some sprites are extremly off from there avatars.(bar girl 1 example)
-why is it still raining in the morning!?
-the pub should be empty at night lol...
- :( your character is seriously sick and twisted....damit...i dont want to play as this scum....you cant compare rape to what happened to those 2 poor guys...
-camoflage,really cool skill. more games need something that stops random encouters whether its a abilty or gear
-poor moffett...those dam bastards...-its a bit more work,but should make the puzzles stop reseting once solved
-Guh! fetch quests WHHHHHY!? these seriously hurt the game and pointlessly delay from the actual plot.
-im so glad you did not kill hilda off,or give her to jarl i would of dropped the game right there if another extremely messed up thing happened.
-Sky Ripper for the Fing win! :D

-This games pretty long,been on it for 3 hours or so
i- really disliked the fetch quests
from Jarl
-outside of that the plots fairly interesting and i have not been bored.
-due to the extremely long length of this,i wont be doing a playthru tho
and as the game changes its direction starting at a certain point
showing the start woulnt do it justice,i  recommend this to others who want a long game with a good story.

My overall opinion of this is its a great game,for those who have time.

Grammar

Neither is spelled wrong

Edit

Finished the game!(well it ended prematurly :(   )

really want more! honestly starting the game i did not expect to enjoy this one but i really did!

so questions from the top of my head

1.are you currently planning to finish the game?

2.All the questions in the mansion during dinner. are there different results? and how many?whats choices lead to them(if possible)

3.the relationship thing does it have a cap? if not i highly suggest you set one.games that have certain things like that that dont have a proper limit seriously annoy me.

Edit fixed grammar :3

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just logged in since you posted that, shayoko.  Thanks for playing!  I'm glad you actually enjoyed enough to play through the entire thing.  It's always good to get any kind of input, since I know a lot of people have played the initial starting Rushlight Inn part, but not a lot of people have gotten to the meat of the game like you have, so thanks.  I know the game does change a lot the more you play through it.  Also good to know you got the Sky Ripper.  =3

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, I do plan on finishing, although it may take a while.  I tend to use this software in big splurges.  I got it last year, for instance, and made about half of the existing game this last year.  Then I made the second half the past couple months or so.  I've taken a break now, but I hope to get back to it and get closer to finishing soon.  I'm overall maybe halfway through now.

2.  Ahh, the dinner questions.  =)  Ultimately, they all lead to the same point.  Red comes to Blixen's rescue.  The answers to the questions only alter the immediate conversation.  I know, I know.  I would love to create big sweeping changing storypaths like something in Mass Effect, but that's basically like creating multiple games in one.  So no, ultimately different answers to those questions don't lead to different results.  But c'mon, you get to roleplay that scenario at least somewhat.  =)

3.  Well, I've only made the game up to the point where it ends, and so far there's only one relationship choice, so I can't answer this question.  I'm imagining there is a cap.  Ultimately you can max out both caps, if you want to put the effort in.  This includes romantic relationships.  (Which do you think you'd choose, just out of curiosity, between the two choices?  :3)

Again, thanks for playing!

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
hmm...

thats a tough one

i like both of the girls that follow you but if i had to choose...between Blixen and Alisa...

id go with Alisa

shes hardworking,loyal and not afraid to do what she has to

evil things she may of done "can" possibily be considered to be forced on her due to the times and society.

Blixen on the other hand while she has good will,she does have that

im special so i should be pampered personaily. which aint gonna fly with many outside of slaves,servants,perverts or masochists.

and im against people who wont do things for them selfs,if they are willing to try but need help id do w/e i could for them

but to not care to give any effort, my love for the part of her doesnt exist :3

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Added a new Let's Play at the end of first post.  :3

shayoko

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
thought it was gonna be mine for a second then remembered i didnt do one for this game

due to its length

and even then story not being finished anyway :3

still wish more people try this would love to see the rest of the story

LittleEight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OMGee I love the writing in this game. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Julian Brooks wrote on Hudell's profile.
Hi, I'm trying to use the Orange Mapshot plugin on Mac, but it isn't working. Could you assist? I'm attempting to do Parallax Mapping. Thanks.
I can't believe my dlc flopped that hard. It's depressing. I'm a fricking failure at being a musician.
Person: "Taxes are bs and money is, too! Anarchy!!" *Literally anything goes wrong* Same Person: "Why hasn't the government fixed this???"
Stream will be live shortly with a session of Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azarae