Golden Week - Question Time!

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score

As we continue to celebrate Golden Week, we want to hear from you. Let's take a moment to get to know each other better and share some good conversation. We'll be posting one new question every day until May 5th, so be sure to check back.

And while we do so, we'll be choosing a few lucky individuals who will win a copy of RPG Maker MV - for themselves or for a friend!

Congratulations to:

Alexander Amnell

slimmmeiske2

Nefertari83

Turtlejuice

Goldstorm

Last edited by a moderator:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Taarna (Heavy Metal the movie) and Samus (Metroid series). Both strong females, which I lacked in my life. For those familiar with Heavy Metal - yes, childhood. No, likely should not have been.

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Raxel, because he's freaking funny. :p  (it is a character from my best friend btw)

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
My childhood hero is my father. He always told me stories of his own childhood, supported me no matter what and showed me that through hard work you can achieve nearly everything. I am a 100% daddy girl.

Other people I admire are Otto von Bismark and Loki ( the Edda one, not from Marvel).

Now that I look at it that are strange guys  to admire as a 10 year old.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Jak and Daxter. Even on the face of doom they keep on going to save the world (and no need to get ultra testosterone filled serious).

Frostyfirefly

Seeker of the Weird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Beowulf was my childhood hero; keep in mind, the one from the original legend, not the one from the more recent animated movie, I did not like that movie as a portrayal of him at all. I admired him because he used strength for the right thing, was incredibly brave and could stand toe to toe with the most terrifying monsters.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this may sound cliche or overplayed or whatever, but for me, my childhood hero was my mother.  Why?  Where to begin.

She had a rough childhood, and I do mean very rough, yet took it all in stride to continue on with her life because as she put it, her grandmother needed her and she worked very hard to survive.  After that, she married my father, who was a very ugly individual, even to this day, and she had to put up with his very abusive nature in order to keep us from being homeless if we left him and she did this for 34 years.  Everyday I saw her struggle to be close to me and my two sisters when he would try his best to keep us apart even when under the same roof.  I saw her get angry, at herself mostly, cry and almost reach utter defeat, but she toughed it out.  I've never see a tougher individual than her.  Some of you might be wondering that if he was abusive, why not call the police or child services?  Tried that and they would have taken us away from my mother as well and we weren't having that.  Anyway, even after we left him, her health started to deteriorate and she became disabled.  At the present time, she can barely walk around without getting incredibly tired, plus having to deal with two major hospital visits in the past two years, both during the Thanksgiving holidays.  Even through all that, she manages to put a smile on her face and tough it out.  Her body has so many ailments, yet she won't give up.  No superhero ever put to paper or screen has ever been as strong as this woman that I call my mother.

I am now her full-time caretaker and yet she still has her independent spirit and drive to not just sit or lay there and waste away.  Even when she can barely move or is in so much pain, she still finds the strength to get up and out of bed to start her day.

Who is my childhood hero and why do I admire them?  My mother.  She is and always will be the one person who's strength and tenacity inspires me to never give up on just about anything.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My childhood hero is my school orchestra director. Without getting way too deep my upbringing was a bit, eh. Throughout school he was such an incredible motivating force for me and directed me toward many special resources the school did not formally offer. I wanted to learn jazz, he taught me jazz. I thought ethnic percussion was really cool so he sent me to a world dance collective. I wanted violin lessons to perfect my playing, he got them for me. If you know anything about how expensive private lessons are, you're probably floored. I'm still floored! He even helped me sign up and follow through my scholarship search. I didn't have the best guidance from my parents but I had one teacher who really, really cared. 

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll cut it short.

Real: My father.

For being an amazing and generous person that did anything he could (and is still doing it) to make my family happy, I always admired his strong will and his sense of responsibility.

Fictitious: Bruce Wayne\Batman.

He is an interesting character that experienced the trauma of losing both his parents in front of his young eyes, and turned his worst fear into his symbol to fight crime and make the world a better place.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   My father was my hero growing up, he wasn't the most 'properly' educated man having never even finished high school but he was still full of wisdom and one of the kindest people I've ever known. He built what was initially believed to be a modest living off of trailer park real estate though he would often allow the people who owed him money to 'walk all over him' at least from a more general and worldly perspective, letting tenants accrue multiple months in back rent and allowing them to pay in trade rather than cash and never once bringing anyone to court, instead allowing people to walk away and cutting his losses. This always used to irritate parts of the family, but I believe I came to understand why he was like this later in life, unfortunately long after he had passed.

When I was six he was diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer, and by the time I turned ten it had already claimed his life. One memory that has lodged deeply into my mind is of a particular night near the end that I was up much later than a child should be and I heard noises coming from the bathroom. I slipped out of my room and approached until I could make out what was going on, my dad was hunched over the toilet vomiting blood and praying out loud in between tears and spasms...not for his pain to go away, not questioning why it even was. He begged and pleaded only to be able to stay with me, my mom and my little brother so that he could take care of us. In the midst of suffering unlike anything I'd ever witnessed before then, and comparable to the worst I've seen since what was on his mind was what we would do without him. He bargained with his god, but there was no anger, no concern over the fact that his body was literally breaking apart from the inside out to the point where he couldn't eat and had to be sustained by a stomach tube pumping ensure directly into his body. The only thing that seemed to phase him at all was that he knew deep down that he wasn't going to be able to be there for us, and he fought, prayed and did everything in his power to change that course of events even when hope was no longer in the picture.

I didn't learn this until years later but as his time drew short my father gathered all of his relatives and loved ones around himself. His parents, my mom's parents, his brothers and sister and uncles and gave each of them 10,000 dollars to do with as they saw fit from his deathbed. His only stipulation, his only request was "If my boys' ever need help, you help them, whatever that entails." Then after he died we discovered over 300,000 dollars in a box in his office in the basement. He wasn't a vain man, his clothing all came secondhand and he'd wear it well past the point that it would be in tatters. All of his vehicles came from a car auction where he'd buy cheap for parts and mix and match them to create running, if somewhat trashy vehicles and everything about him was just...so unbelievably modest. Money never was a concern of his, but because of his frugality he was able to be there for us financially even when he couldn't be there physically.

I'm no longer particularly religious myself, but my father's testimony and tenacity have kept me grounded in at least believing in an afterlife and some sort of god even in my most cynical moments. I actually believe personally that his determination to take care of his family and to be there for us were so strong that they pushed the boundaries of death itself; which I won't get into here for several reasons but if anyone is curious about and hasn't read it already I've already talked about here:

My dad taught me many things in the short time I got to know him. That wealth is only a means unto an end, how to be kind and forgiving of others and the importance of family. Most of all, he showed me that not even death can stop a man with enough willpower from seeing his desires through to the bitter end, and that these virtues even became a self-fulfilling prophesy of a sort ensuring that what he wanted most would be seen to even in his absence.

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lara Croft - because she was brave, adventurous, and looked good while doing it. She made me think I could become awesome if I wanted it. I wanted to be just like her one day...

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hummm if we speak IRL I would say my mother, because even with the lost of our fathers she's raised 4 kids even if life didn't gave her easy...and even with her sickness and the fibromenalgia she's still figthing and continue to be able to smille and the laugh.

so yes she's my childhood and still my heros with her determination and courage :)

GreyStone84

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatus Nunc
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My childhood hero was Bobby Baun. He was one of the toughest hockey players and one of the best defenseman for the Toronto Maple Leafs. A defenseman standing at 5'9", weighing 175 lbs, he was a great physical player who never backed down from anyone no matter how much bigger they were.

It was April 23, 1964 Game 6 of the Stanley Cup playoffs Toronto vs. Detroit. Gordie Howe shoots the puck down the ice and hits Baun in the leg with the puck. At the next face-off Baun beats Howe to the puck but as he turns, Baun falls to the ice with a leg injury and has to be carried off on a stretcher. Baun soon returns to the bench, the game now in it's first period of overtime. Baun and his defensive line partner Carl Brewer jumped onto the ice for a line switch. A few seconds later Baun is skating the puck towards the Detroit goal and takes his shot. The puck bounces off Detroit defenseman Bill Gadsby's stick which in turn makes it impossible for Detroit goalie Terry Sawchuk to block. Toronto wins Game 6! Both teams meet again in Game 7. Baun, still having pain in his leg, have the trainers tape up his leg and he gets it frozen as well. Baun becomes one of the biggest contributors for Toronto's 4-0 victory in Game 7, cinching the Stanley Cup for Toronto. Following the game, Bobby Baun finally allowed x-rays to be taken of his leg and it was determined he had been playing with a hairline fracture of his fibula, received from the shot by Howe.

Another incredible tale about Baun is that is career was unfortunately cut short during the 72-73 season. He had once again been playing with a broken leg when he suffered an injury to the neck by another player's skate. The rear tip of teh skate pierced Baun's neck and emerged just under his tongue. There was so much blood that everyone assumed his jugular had been cut. But the team's doctor at the time said it was nothing serious, stitched him up and he went back onto the ice. Blood filled the cavity and pressed on his windpipe, making it difficult to breathe and Baun had to stop playing. After the game, another team member, Tim Horton (yes, of the donut shops!) found him hemorrhaging and nearly swallowing on his own tongue. Horton quickly took Baun to the hospital across the street and after a few pints of blood had been transfused, Baun was placed next to his wife who happened to be giving birth at the time to their third son! Also, after retiring that year, Baun loaned Horton $10,000 to start a donut shop.

Bobby Baun promotes positive thinking and contributes a lot in his life to it. He was (and still is) a tough, determined person, not only in his hockey career, but also in his personal life.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Real life hero: My Dad

He was (still alive, but retired) an educator and social worker, working with children with learning disabilities or coming from very poor background, and spent his career knocking at the doors of all governmental institutions to get financing to allow the poorest to eat at the school canteen or take part in extra scholar activities. He also set up some associations to help kids get out of drug selling business in the shitty neighborhood  he was working in and help kids whose families were from traveling communities to access education in relays schools.

He sometimes didn't had time enough for me, but I'm proud that his time was spent helping the needy kids.

Fictional heroes: Seiya, Shiryu, Ikki, Shun and Hyoga, the 5 brothers from Saint Seiya

I was addicted to mythology, and this show was ticking all my boxes. They were 13-15 Years old kids who were always ready to give their lives for peace, fighting for friendship, and taught me that against all odds, if you have the will, you make miracles.

Nefertari83

Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
My childhood hero is my grandma.

She found my mother as a baby on the street during the escape at the end 2nd world war. She raised her as her own child and did all she could that my mom had a beautiful childhood. She sent my mother on the "Gymnasium" that's the highest school in Germany. At that time mostly boys went to the "Gymnasium" and not girls. She paid the school money for my mom although they were very poor after the escape because they had to leave everything behind.

felsenstern

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There were several, which I unfortunately have forgotten mostly. I remember just two of them. One was Pan Tau because he could do tricks with his hat and the other was John Steed because he could also do cool tricks and had a hat similar to Pan Tau's ... and probably a good looking partner in Emma Peel ;-). I wish I could say more about and describe my fascination of them as a kid, but I mostly forgot how it was... it seems, that elvendust will not make me fly anymore :(.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If we're talking about real life people, it would be my grandmother. She took care of me, when my parents were working. I was also her only granddaugther, so she doted on me like crazy. She was an incredible strong woman, full of life. If not for her strength I doubt she would have been able to live as long as she did, considering the many illnesses she suffered from at the end.

If we're going with fictional characters, it would be Belle. Beauty and the Beast was and is still my favourite Disney movie. I identified with Belle a lot, as we were both the odds ones out, liked to read and daydreamed a lot.

Little Paw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm gonna have to say Mega Man. Yeah, it's probably kind of a silly answer, but it's really all I can think of at the moment.

But I suppose the main reason is that Mega Man is the reason I'm a gamer at all. My friends introduced me to gaming through Mega Man, and gaming has gotten me through the toughest times of my life. So yeah, I'd say Mega Man was probably my childhood hero.

DarkstarMatryx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Mine was Wolverine.  That first comic I picked up so very many years ago had a hero who wasn't really a hero all the time, but he always got back up. No matter what other people did to him or said about him he didn't let it get to him he just kept going. If he got knocked down he go up and knocked them down. It was the sort of hero I needed back then, because he was the sort of hero that was beat down a lot but would heal from it and get back up. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.
I'm sorry about earlier. I have the most hate and the most love for my art at the same time. Felt bad about my thread because I wasn't listening, and because I made it out of a bad mindset to begin with. S'another Thursday for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scrollstorm