GolfHacker's Goodies

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by GolfHacker, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Opus

Opus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I must've done something wrong, because front and rear hair are appearing as different shades. Not to mention the first 9 female rear hair options not appearing.

2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @mylafter No sprites. I have not converted any sprite parts. If you're handy with an art program, you can probably cut out the parts you need from the TF base sprites and stitch something together.

@Opus If parts aren't appearing, you either saved off the image using the wrong filename or saved the image into the wrong folder. As far as different hair shades, I don't know what could be happening there. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

3. Opus

Opus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also, yeah I forgot some 0s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  4. GolfHacker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow. No idea what's happening there with the front hair. Those aren't the colors in the file. Rear hair looks correct.

5. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These almost want me to go wrok on ace instead of mv. Very well done!

KiddHusky likes this.
  6. Opus

Opus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I haven't messed with the character generator at all beyond replacing the files.
    And I haven't touched the files themselves.
    Maybe I'll figure out how to put something together in GIMP.

7. GolfHacker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Did you replace both files for that front hair? If I remember right, the other file is a shadow file. That could mess with the colors...

8. Opus

Opus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's what the folder looks like.

Attached Files:

9. GolfHacker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Weird that some of them show black backgrounds... they're all transparent, and usually show up as white in Windows Explorer.

Well, not sure what is going on with the colors being off in the face generator. It will take someone more knowledgeable than I to figure out what is happening and how to fix it.

10. Watercrown

Watercrown Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great work man. Been working with this sprite set and was thinking maybe I didn't need portraits at all. The sprites are fairly expressive on their own. Just one look at your work and I completely changed my mind.

I am getting the same issue as Opus. The front hair develops a darker shade when coming out of the editor.

I created a face then went to edit in GIMP to paste on the missing bits of sprite the character generator seems to cut out. When I went to touch up the hair (fronthair5 if it matters) the color that came out of the generator was a lot brighter.

11. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's just a windows 10 thing. I get it all the time.
    I do not see anything wrong with the resources. Just did a test myself. I only put the fronthair into the generator
    test.png

GolfHacker likes this.
  12. Watercrown

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wish I knew what I was doing wrong...

Here is what I am seeing plus the directory.

Attached Files:

13. Opus

Opus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I removed the shadow files for the front hair. That seems to have solved it.

GolfHacker likes this.
  14. GolfHacker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm back with some new goodies today!

Now that the big cross-country move is done and we're getting settled into our new home, I'm finally able to get back to this effort. To start with, I've finished converting the last of the female rear hair pieces for the Vx Ace generator to the Time Fantasy style. So all of the female rear hair face generator parts are now done!

RearHair12
    [​IMG]

RearHair12a
    [​IMG]

RearHair16
    [​IMG]

RearHair16a
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

Sharm likes this.
  15. KiddHusky

KiddHusky Dumb Baby Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you so much, GolfHacker! These are awesome!

16. GolfHacker

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been thinking a lot about where I should go from here.

At this point, many of the Vx Ace face generator pieces have been converted to the Time Fantasy style. What's missing are the rest of the neck/clothing pieces and some accessories. Unfortunately, most of the remaining pieces do not match the existing Time Fantasy sprites. My original goal was to try to provide a way to create faces to match the sprites, since none of the Time Fantasy packs currently provide faces, so with that goal in mind, it doesn't make sense to convert the rest of the face generator pieces.

While I've been working on this project, I've noticed it has also been tricky trying to generate faces that will match some TF sprites, because the Ace generator doesn't have all the face pieces that are needed. I've tried to create some pieces of my own to fill those gaps, but there are a lot of gaps. The TF sprites have a lot of clothes, hairstyles, etc. that don't match the Ace generator. To create all the missing pieces will require a lot of work (which I'm not opposed to doing... it might even be fun to do).

But here's another consideration: Des/FinalBossBlues has announced plans to create faces for many of his sprites in the coming year as part of his Patreon work. So that would render a lot of what I've done here obsolete, unless someone prefers the look of my face conversions over Des's face art. I guess that's possible, but who would want to try to generate a matching face when they can just use the one that Des provides?

It doesn't give me much motivation to continue with this work.

On the other hand, some folks here and on Des's patreon have asked about being able to generate not only a face but also a sprite that matches. That got me thinking that it might be nice to be able to create brand-new TF sprites that have matching faces.

One problem is that the TF sprite size is larger than that produced by the Vx Ace generator. So it would not be possible to use the generator to create the sprites. I would have to provide the individual layers so people could potentially ingest them into a program like the Game Character Hub, but I would have no way to test that since I don't use Steam and don't own a copy of GCH. Alternatively, I could provide a .psd file with the different layers, but people will have to do the recolors themselves.

Another problem is that I can't dissect the TF sprites to create generator pieces from them. For one thing, I can't legally redistribute those assets. For another, there are face generator pieces that don't match the sprites and vice versa, as I've already mentioned.

I spoke with Des about being able to generate TF sprites, and about the barriers I would run into. We decided that I could try converting the Vx Ace sprite generator pieces to the TF style. Des gave me a copy of his TF sprite bases to use, and he also gave me permission to redistribute the bases so that people can build their own TF sprites.

As an experiment, I converted the Vx Ace generator male RearHair01 sprite piece to the Time Fantasy style. I think it's a bit more detailed than the hair of some other TF sprites, but it doesn't look too bad.

[​IMG]

This will be a lot of work, but there might be some benefit to it. People would be able to generate their own custom TF sprites and a face to match. It also provides some motivation to finish converting the other neck/clothing and accessory pieces for the faces, since there would be a matching sprite piece.

So what do you all think? Is this something you might use? Or would it be more beneficial to convert the MV face generator pieces and perhaps the MV sprite pieces too? Or should I just skip this whole thing and move on to something else entirely?

17. mightymoodyman8

mightymoodyman8 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dear Sir,

I have been working in MV with Time Fantasy sprites to develop a character creator for my project using those images, using your portrait parts for the custom faces within the creator. Editing each individual layer of the TF sprites (clothes, hair, etc.) has been tedious, but necessary, and I have access to all I need in the TF packs themselves. Your portraits, though, have provided pieces I would never have access to no matter how much time I spent editing the TF sprites.

Personally, I like your face images better than FinalBossBlues's sample face he uploaded. (But that's just me. Who knows what his new project will come out looking like.) I would really benefit from TF face conversions for the neck/clothes since I don't feel confident creating those on my own. But my opinion should obviously not sway what you prefer to develop!

I was struggling a bit to understand the options you are considering, but I suppose your work on the sprites would produce original layered pieces (hair, clothes, etc.) in TF style, all different from FinalBossBlues's created sprites? This would be useful, too, in providing additional pre-layered resources for the character generator and creator, on top of the original TF sprites.

I hope my musings are helpful for your thought processing. Otherwise, disregard them. I will thoroughly enjoy whatever you create. Thank you for the work you do for public use!

GolfHacker likes this.
  18. Watercrown

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GolfHacker,

I've been contributing to finalbossblue's Patreon for the last few months so I'm definitely a big fan of his and always excited for whatever he comes up with next. Still, I prefer your style of portraits more (going by what we have seen so far). The TF characters are definitely open to interpretation and your ACE generator pieces let us explore that. For example, finalbossblue's generic hero looks like your typical young jRPG protagonist. The one you created has so much more character and personality. I've grown quiet attached to the look of the heroes your pieces let me create and I don't see myself changing at all.

GolfHacker likes this.